Has anyone made a freeware 3900 Class Challenger?

Thanks Normhart; this does add another dimension to UP steam power. Is it just me or at first glance alongside the early challengers by ANL, but do the late model challengers seem a bit overbalanced? Like the drivers seem a bit small for the engine size, but I think that's just me. Some days I begin to wonder about why this happens from time to time.

If you look at the 3975 (left most of the 4664-3's) vs the 3939 (right most of the CSA-2's) they look pretty much the same. Which would be right since they had the same 69' drivers. The other 4664-3&4's show some foreshortening I think.

The TrainzItalia Challenger is the one asked about by the OP

Shown here with one of anl's FEF's
normhart201212140004.jpg

All the TTG-Y now available in trainz
normhart201212140006.jpg

More information on the UP Two Tone Gray Paint http://utahrails.net/up/ttg.php But long story short; For passenger service certain engines in four classes were painted TTG with yellow stripping in 1946 then repainted to TTG with "silver gray" stripping in 1949 and repainted black in 1952. Specific engine numbers are given in the article.

As to the size of the engines;

These engines are slightly taller than anl's early Challengers and the Big Boy
normhart201212140002.jpg

From the front you can see that the diameter of the barrel is about the same and it appears as though the barrel is somewhat higher above the drivers. (The Big Boy is the one in the center)
normhart201212140003.jpg

From above you can see that the late Challengers are about a half cab length longer than the early Challengers although still shorter than the Big Boy.
normhart201212140001.jpg

Rudolf3610's engine #3979 comes with a coal tender however this engine burned coal for less than 2 years mid 1943-1945 before being converted to oil. #3985 comes with an oil tender but this engine never burned oil as only 3975-3984 were converted to oil. I'd suggest swapping tenders and repainting them. (source http://utahrails.net/steam/up05-1915-1962-15.php)

BTW one of anl's Challengers is numbered 3939. The early Challengers were renumbered in 1944 from 3900-3939 to 3800-3839 so if you are using the late model Challengers you shouldn't use this engine or you should renumber it to 3839. (or renumber the rest of the early Challengers if you are pre-1944, although then you'd have to convert them to coal.)

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about UP Challengers. :D

Last edited:
Both wva-usa and philskene have put forward large engine spec files perhaps one of those would work for you. I haven't gotten around testing eiither yet.

I didn't create a enginespec for the N&W Mallet. I referred the one for the N&W Y6b that comes with TS2012, since it should be relatively "close" to what a Y3 could do and because it doesn't suffer from the dreaded "safety-valve gone wild" syndrome. The "US Big Steam enginespec" by "philskene" is another spec that works well for big U.S. steam, which also doesn't seem to suffer from the "pop off" problem.

... Probably more than you ever wanted to know about UP Challengers. :D

Wow! Great info. Good job!

Last edited:
Back