Deleting Unused Assets

vinay13f

Hello All
Is there a way to delete installed assets that are no long needed or are not in use by any routes and sessions installed.
I had downloaded some routes and sessions, but I no longer need them. I can only delete the sessions and routes but not their related assets

Deleting unwanted assets is a, one by one, at a time, process ... your hard drive will accomodate millions of unused assets, and you will never know the difference whether they are there or not (unless you downloaded the entire DLS) :hehe:

My TRS2006 "Local" file is HUGE ... (the ladies at the tavern are never impressed by that statement, though) !

If you select a route you no longer want, then click "dependencies" ... you can delete the non-built in assets.

Last edited:
also make sure those dependencies don't go to anything else - that'd be a bummer. You can check that by right clicking an asset in CM and looking to see if dependent assests is grayed out. If so it's ok to kill it. I understand those local files - TS12 @ 28.8GB and TS2010 @ 48.3GB..... good thing the drive is huge, those two insallations take up about 220GB.

Removing 'unused' assets is a big risk at this point in time.

Textures, especially, do not get recorded correctly as dependencies in routes/sessions.

In addition to this, rules and driver commands are not normally recorded as dependencies due to a Trainz bug.

Trains that are emitted from a portal are also not recorded as dependencies.

I will be looking into sorting out a utility to help out with unused assets, but I need N3V to sort out the dependency recording bugs (which I have a ticket relating to with the Helpdesk) first.

Shane

Removing 'unused' assets is a big risk at this point in time.

Textures, especially, do not get recorded correctly as dependencies in routes/sessions.

In addition to this, rules and driver commands are not normally recorded as dependencies due to a Trainz bug.

Trains that are emitted from a portal are also not recorded as dependencies.

I will be looking into sorting out a utility to help out with unused assets, but I need N3V to sort out the dependency recording bugs (which I have a ticket relating to with the Helpdesk) first.

Shane

Rules and commands are part of the session, not the route.

;) Shane strikes again!! Right on - especially if half of us are as bad at "housekeeping" as I am! There should be a donation pool for a salary for you as much work as you put in for this community - or just a cot and some beer...

;) Shane strikes again!! Right on - especially if half of us are as bad at "housekeeping" as I am! There should be a donation pool for a salary for you as much work as you put in for this community - or just a cot and some beer...
I agree, I am new to trainz community and Shane posts were always there to help. Thanks Shane for what you have been doing.

I agree, I am new to trainz community and Shane posts were always there to help. Thanks Shane for what you have been doing.

Originally Posted by gearhead2578 ;) Shane strikes again!! Right on - especially if half of us are as bad at "housekeeping" as I am! There should be a donation pool for a salary for you as much work as you put in for this community - or just a cot and some beer...

I agree, if there were such a pool we could - for example - help Shane to get TS12 which he will no doubt put to good use to help us even more.

I will be looking into getting TS12 at some point, although I need to check if my system will cope with it first.

In the meantime, my tutorials are always available.

Shane

Back