Steamshots USA..Lets See Some Steam Shots..

Yes leeferr's Big Emma is sweet. I was surprised at how many L&N passenger cars there were and so many varieties.

My favorite is the modernized heavy weights though.

BTW if you are looking for a replacement whistle there are these two

<kuid2:527940:100093:4> L&N 3 '6' chime
<kuid2:527940:100091:2> L&N 3 chime

I prefer the second one but the first is still an improvement on the air horn and is distinctive.

Last edited:
In the the early 50's the Union Pacific experimented with the addition smoke deflectors on the Big Boys. Test subject was UP #4019. 4019 was the only Big Boy to ever receive smoke deflectors as the test results proved inconclusive and the age of steam was coming to a close.

Here UP #4019 idles at Cheyenne with UP Challenger #3967 nearby. Both are equipped with smoke deflectors, or as the Union Pacific called them, "Elephant Ears".

348cdb8d3f2f982b75128430b43ce939.jpg

Later on we catch UP #4019 as she descends Sherman Hill with a full load of freight:

494518898aa679b3e22eb639a326f06b.jpg

Spring is a big day for the firemen on the L&A as this is when their lives changed forever. The story goes is that in the 1890’s Clyde Price started his career on the L&A as a brakeman and finally made it up to fireman only to find the back breaking work of trying to keep up with the appetite of a steam locomotive while managing the boiler. After a few years Clyde managed to take the test to move up to management, but never forgot his time stoking those boilers.

One of the benefits of this move use he was sent to college and he studied locomotive engineering and after getting his degree he went back to Levi to work in the L&A engineering department. From here he made it to upper management and became the head of locomotive operations. In 1905 the first practical steam locomotive stokers came out and Mr. Price again thought of his brothers stoking those boilers. After a few engines were fitted and tested and the results were favorable Mr. Price made an executive decision to fit all of the L&A locomotives with mechanical stokers. The order was that once an engine came in for its five year inspection and rebuild it must be refitted with a mechanical stoker.

In these pictures you see the first engine being fitted with its mechanical stoker and it happened to be good old No. 13 the lowly old shop camelback switcher. As fate would have it 13 was the first to be fitted with her new stoker along with all the other engines on the L&A. Even today Mr. Price gets thank you cards from L&A firemen every spring as a thank you for remembering them.

Dave

Thanks Paul, one last change :hehe:

I switched out the Daylight GS-4 for a GS-2 and I went and bought the Empire State Express J3A Streamlined. (does not come with the cars)

Last one of these screenshots I promise :p

Great lineup of stuff! 2018 will see 3 new streamlined train sets on K&L's roster!

OK. Steve , you just can't leave that hang , a expansion of your project list is in order on the site perhaps ?:D I'm just saying that's cruel :hehe: Now I'm dying to know which ?

Matt

OK. Steve , you just can't leave that hang , a expansion of your project list is in order on the site perhaps ?:D I'm just saying that's cruel :hehe: Now I'm dying to know which ?

Matt

The 1st one will appear on the projects list when the Cotton Belt 819 comes off.

Steve, any chance one of these streamliner sets will be the California Zephyr? Just a wild guess. Have been very much enjoying the Selkirk and the WP ten wheeler.

I Dreamed Last Night that . . .

K&L Trainz's Projects page listed nine instead of six projects, and right in the center was a black-and-white picture of a Southern Ps-4 4-6-2 with either a heavyweight combine or a baggage car behind it. The pictured only showed the front door for loading the baggage into the car, so I wasn't sure if it was a combine or baggage car. I hope that that's one of the consists that K&L Trainz will make in the near future.

Back