Merge Block?

prre6

** Fire Department**
I have tried time after time to merge routes with no success in TS12. I am fully updated patch wise, so can someone help? Thanks in advance!

Fred

There is a known bug with merging in TS12 - in short you can't. 'They' are supposedly fixing it...

Erm... yes you can merge in TS12. The problem (bug) comes when routes you try to merge are to big. Nobody seems to know what "to big" is and it seems to differ per PC.

An other problem people usually have when figuring out how to merge in TS12 is that they forget to check the layer tab on the merge window.

Yeah. I'm merging the Erie Northern Route and Morris and Sussex. A large route and a medium sized one.

Fred

There is a known bug with merging in TS12 - in short you can't. 'They' are supposedly fixing it..
Sorry Dermmy....you can merge in TS12.

Just finished merging a route which contains 21750 boards. The only successful way I have found to do this is to merge smaller pieces into the first large route. So for the OP, take your largest route and then break down the one you want to merge with it into smaller chunks and you should be able to do it. Others are correct to as to what OS you are using, 32 bit or 64 bit. 32 bit limits you to an editable route size of approx 850MB, 64 bit approx 2.5Gb, amount of memory also plays a part. So it can be done but it is a painstaking process.

Hope that helps you a little.

Regards Peter

Sorry Dermmy....you can merge in TS12...

Regards Peter

OK- "Can't" was too strong, but fact is that while some people can merge any route, most can't. Most can merge some routes, but there are limitations and for most folks the limitations are pretty severe. I can't merge in TS12 at all. My "can't" statement was aimed at the OP - if somebody is crashing (or otherwise failing) while merging in TS12 then chances are they fall into the "can't" group. I do. I can't merge anything in TS12. I crash to the desktop (without an N3V crash report screen) every single time I try including even just two single boards. Stick any of the same two routes back into TRS04 and they merge without issue.

If some-one is posting with crash issues in TS12 it is imho more 'helpful' to suggest that they are probably better off accepting that there is an issue than posting something like "I can merge - but I have no idea how to help YOU merge".

There is SOMETHING going on with 'merge' in TS12. I suspect the reason that it is still a 'known issue' is that it is a bug which is not repeatable. There is some interplay of variables between Trainz versions, patches, OS, RAM, content, TrainzBuild and God alone knows all what else which makes 'merge' an insurmountable obstacle on some installations and a dawdle on others. If it was an easy fix it WOULD be fixed.

The fact that some people can merge in TS12 does not negate the fact that there IS a known issue in TS12 involving the 'merge' function....

Andy ;)

Last edited:
I disagree, I can merge large routes in TS12 with no problem, I merged 500 miles of routes and have had no problem.
May I ask are you merging DEM or TransDEM maps, If so you have to in the merging box delete the boxes that are the same, there should be two of the same just delete one of each and it should work.

I disagree, I can merge large routes in TS12 with no problem, I merged 500 miles of routes and have had no problem.
May I ask are you merging DEM or TransDEM maps, If so you have to in the merging box delete the boxes that are the same, there should be two of the same just delete one of each and it should work.

Large blank routes, or those with little or no content, merge fine. Routes with lots of content fail. It has to be a memory thing or the way the program stores pointers in memory when the merge function happens. N3V Brew Crew are aware of the issue, but there's no fix yet. Hopefully we'll see one in some future patch or release.

John

And therein lies my point entirely!

The WHOLE POINT is that some people can merge in TS12 and some people can't.

It is an absolute fact that I cannot merge in TS12 full stop end. It is an absolute fact that many other people cannot merge in TS12 either, there are a zillion posts on the topic. It is an absolute fact that the merge-or-not-in-TS12 thing is a known issue.

It is also a fact that some people can merge. You can. Congratulations. But to start a post on the subject with the words "I disagree" is pretty much beyond belief. The fact that you CAN merge routes in Ts12 in no way alters the fact that many others can't.

Well if it helps, I cannot merge period. And if the pack being released is gonna cost me, then I would personaly make an argument to make it free. If the bug was known 2 days after the release, then it should be an optional FREE patch for people that cannot merge!

Fred

Fred you should be able to merge - we all should, but many of us can't.

I made a tongue-in-cheek smart-alec comment in your other thread regarding the 'patch' being TS14 and costing $50 or whatever which I think you might have taken a bit too seriously.

Now while I have no argument with the philosophical position that the Trainz Franchise should patch every error in every release as soon as possible after issues are found, I'm afraid it just ain't like that. The development of Trainz has been an ongoing thing for about 10 years. The core 'game' has always worked (well maybe TRS04 SP3 didn't) but basically the out-of-box game is pretty good. Big things do get patched and generally get patched pretty fast. The 'Merge' thing in TS12 is I suspect a non-repeatable brain-teaser the repair of which would eat way into the time constraints of a small boutique company servicing a tiny niche market.

Most people don't use the 'merge' function much if at all. You want to use it, I do use it and I miss it. Most of my routes are in-game merges of smaller HOG/DEM creations and I have to keep a copy of TRS04 installed just to merge in. That's all I use TRS04 for these days, a merging utility. Would I like to see 'Merge' fixed. Yes. But do I want it fixed at the expense of delaying the release of the next version of Trainz? No. And that's pretty much what I meant in my other post, not that there would be a payware patch, but that the next version of Trainz would BE the patch. It generally is....

Andy ;)

Oh. I thought you were being serious about TS14.

And I see what you mean by patches. In this economy we just can't buy every next version to patch something that should work. Maybe the 125 men and women in the world elite would be kind enough to boost the economy a little bit for us, since they have the power to.:hehe: But nonetheless, point seen.

Fred

So TRS2004 is the solution to the merging issue? Hmmm, So after problems in TS12, I fired up my old TRS2004, created the structure for a new route and then substituted a microDEM / HOG generated gnd file. Tried to merge that into another existing route and all I got for my efforts was a Hardware Access Violation error.

SO, TRS2004 is not good at merging either. :'(

That computer has 12 GB of RAM with an i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz so I don't think it's the hardware.

The generated gnd file is 1,705,603 kB so size might be an issue

I find that 2010 merges ok and I have managed to get a TS12 route imported to 2010 and merged then imported it back into TS12. Not possible with all routes I know and definitely not in SP1.
Cheers,
Mike

Note: Most posts in this topic were made a year before SP1 was released. This to warn others before they reply to a more then a year old part of this topic.

To repeat what the previous poster wrote: The merge bug is fixed in the latest patch.

It is, but there is a new merge bug that will affect some users that is present in TS12 SP1 (see http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?103513-Merge-bug-has-GOT-TO-BE-FIXED!!!!). This is mentioned in my merging tutorial.

Shane

Back