Multiplayer UMR 2013 Summer

Check if you are on the latest build (currently 49922). If you aint, that might also give these errors since one of the patches added some ("new") build-in items that might be needed on the route. Plus you wont be able to join any multiplayer session without actually running the latest build anyway.

You might want to start on a different map. Once you get by the bugs trying to connect, then you fight with the latency problems once connected. I would suggest Montana Rail Link, good route and good guys hosting the sessions.

I would suggest Montana Rail Link, good route and good guys hosting the sessions.

Problem there is, current session is facing difficulties with some 2-8-2s that have payware dependencies. The session cannot be used for multiplayer and must be repaired by the creator, who is himself facing problems with patching Trainz to the latest version.

Problem there is, current session is facing difficulties with some 2-8-2s that have payware dependencies. The session cannot be used for multiplayer and must be repaired by the creator, who is himself facing problems with patching Trainz to the latest version.

He fixed that and removed the issues and the fixed version should be out tonight I think or by Monday.

By the way this Thread is for UMR SUMMER. It is not a recruiting thread for Montana Rail Link which is nowhere as good in my humble opinion.

If we are making off-topic comments anyway

Since I like and appreciate the time spend on and the looks of both routes:
It is not a recruiting thread for Montana Rail Link which is nowhere as good in my humble opinion.
This thread should also not be a "share negative comments about the Montana Rail Link" (or any other route for that mather) thread in my humble opinion.
Lets drive trains, where ever they are.

Maybe, just maybe, if you all left the routes as they were in the first place and didn't keep updating new versions of them all every other day then people would have no problems with MP.
Why not make your own routes up to version 98.967.008.4569.999 sub version 89890008.4545 part release num 3837.45.90999.789

Maybe, just maybe, if you all left the routes as they were in the first place and didn't keep updating new versions of them all every other day then people would have no problems with MP.

They have to keep updating them to keep fixing bugs and problems on the routes and sessions. Trainz MP is in it's infancy, it's very buggy and quirky. Problem is that when you fix one problem, you might cause three more. When we beta tested 2010 MP, we found issues and tried to have them addressed, but no one was listening. Well, they did listen a little bit, but not on the important issues. They then rushed out TS12 way before it was ready.
One major problem is latency issues on large routes. You can run other routes with very little problems. One other problem is that route and session builders should only use a bone-stock version of TS12, with only builtin and DLS content installed. If this was followed, there wouldn't be most of these issues with missing content.

Another thing that might help would be a site that would list ALL MP sessions and routes being run. As it is now, you can only find out about routes in the forum or from others, if you don't have them installed, you don't know that they are even out there. I've been running online race servers for 9 years and we can use an external site to list all servers. It wouldn't be hard for N3V to do the same for us.

By the way this Thread is for UMR SUMMER. It is not a recruiting thread for Montana Rail Link which is nowhere as good in my humble opinion.

Going to get slightly off topic, but then Ill swing right back on to the main point of posting. I like both routes, even if I am the guy behind MRL. MRL and UMR are fantastic routes for MP with UMR having a small team behind it and MRL being a little more prototypical. But they both suffer one major flaw in my opinion, they are just too big for the number of people we have. When I host a session on MRL I have 3 other guys who all most all ways show up, with a few other people here and there showing up. And when we are all driving it might be an hour or so before we pass one another. And its just the same, at least in my experience, on UMR. I set out on the main line out of a yard, I forget which one, and drove for a good 2 hours. I made a few drop offs and a few pick ups, but the entire time I never saw any other players. Yet I was talking to 2 others who where driving of the 5 people in the session.
Now this is not ether routs fault, and no one is to blame for that issue. All I am saying is we need to get more people interested in MP sessions to really enjoy these larger routes. Thats that's just my ramblings.

And now, back on topic. I am attempting to join UMR13. But its a private session, and yet right in the session description it says it is an open session. Now I can see the benefit of having a private session, even if you advertise that it is ope to every one to join. No chance of people who don't know better jumping in and messing things up. But I just am puzzled as to why there is no mention of what the password is. I could see having it on the web site that has all the route information on it, or even on the Team Speak server. But alas I cant find it any where, and thus am unable to join the session to see what changes have been made. And to attempt to work the yard.

Jib228 made a good point concerning UMR SUMMER and Montana Rail Link. To realise their full potential they both need a lot more people in the sessions.Montana Rail Link tries the more formal approach whereas UMR SUMMER is informal. It doesn,t matter whether it,s formal or informal they both still need more bums on seats to increase there enjoyment.

Jib228 made a good point concerning UMR SUMMER and Montana Rail Link. To realise their full potential they both need a lot more people in the sessions.Montana Rail Link tries the more formal approach whereas UMR SUMMER is informal. It doesn,t matter whether it,s formal or informal they both still need more bums on seats to increase there enjoyment.

Expanding on that, since the UMR is so big, the servers need a serious upgrade to keep up, or maybe the train-location algorithm needs an overhaul.

Oh, ok, I'm glad you have all the answers. I guess the latency problems caused by the size of the route, have nothing to do with the amount of data transfer that is required. Kind of strange, I've run on other routes being hosted by various people and never had the latency problems displayed by UMR, that includes MRL and PO&N which are pretty good size routes.

And now, back on topic. I am attempting to join UMR13. But its a private session, and yet right in the session description it says it is an open session. Now I can see the benefit of having a private session, even if you advertise that it is ope to every one to join. No chance of people who don't know better jumping in and messing things up. But I just am puzzled as to why there is no mention of what the password is. I could see having it on the web site that has all the route information on it, or even on the Team Speak server. But alas I cant find it any where, and thus am unable to join the session to see what changes have been made. And to attempt to work the yard.

If you go on to team speak and talk to the guys I am sure they know the pass word. The reason for it is to keep out the ones who like to just come on and make the biggest train they can and then derail it. We want people who are interested in running it more like a real railroad. Reset the switches, drive on the right when possible and obey the speed limit.

Oh, ok, I'm glad you have all the answers. I guess the latency problems caused by the size of the route, have nothing to do with the amount of data transfer that is required. Kind of strange, I've run on other routes being hosted by various people and never had the latency problems displayed by UMR, that includes MRL and PO&N which are pretty good size routes.

Might have something to do with the sheer quantity of rolling stock, locomotives, consists, and other vital session data that needs to be synced.

If you go on to team speak and talk to the guys I am sure they know the pass word. The reason for it is to keep out the ones who like to just come on and make the biggest train they can and then derail it. We want people who are interested in running it more like a real railroad. Reset the switches, drive on the right when possible and obey the speed limit.

Yea, I figured that was why they did it. Lucky for me some one was nice enough to PM me the password and I was able to join.

In other UMR relatedness, I brought this up with colourlight last night on TS and Ill bring it up here. I like working the yard, its my sick and twisted pleasure. I say that cause it can get to be a nightmare trying to sort out what goes where. And Id love to work the Smithsvill yard. But its in a HORRIBLE location for a yard that size on a route like this. Maybe Im just looking at it too much as an operator, but here are my thoughts on it. Its location would work nice it it was on a route 1/4th the size of UMR. Ive been on quite a few other model train layouts of different sizes, from one in a 10,000 square foot building to one in a 12x12 room that I may self am in charge of operations on. Now on most of the layouts I have been on have had yards located in the center of the lines with industries to the north and south of the yard. The yard acts as the hub and any trains must pass the yard, regardless if they are stopping there or not.

Not to say that this is the only set up for a yard though. Over at White Creek RR they have a yard that is in what I call a "Root Yard" in that the yard is at the "base" of the railroad. (See the May 2012 Model Railroader for more information the the White Creek RR's operations.) Trains leave the yard had head South to work industries then return to the yard over at WCRR. The yard is able to "cycle" a train in about 15 min. This means that the inbound cars are pulled off, out bound cars are put on, steam engines are given water, crews use rest rooms and refill coolers. (This is a 5 mile long 7.5inch gauge live steam railroad that has car card operations and 3 day long op-sessions.)

Now on UMR, Smithsvill is set up as a "Root Yard" in that its like the roots of a tree. Trains start out at the "base" of the tree and work their way up all the branches. But in my opinion, there should be a yard like Smithsvill some where near the middle of the line. Some place where the most traffic is going to pass the yard. The more trains that pass the yard the more that can stop, get more cars or drop off cars, have a "crew change" (Where one player logs off an another takes over that train later), and the more fun it is for who ever decides to use work that yard.

But this is once again just my ramblings and my $0.02 on the matter.

I wholeheartedly agree. In the history of the UMR, Smithville was the last extension to the mainline. Its location was governed by the merging/creation sequence from east (Gladston-Halden and Ogden-Oakwood, or GHOO) to west (Desert Mountain Plains and the Smithville Sorting Facility). While it would make sense with a westward extension of the UMR, as a root yard it serves little purpose.

On that note, if anyone has a high-density route in a style similar to that of the UMR, perhaps we can request that neilsmith749 paste it west of Smithville. A high-density route is one with numerous industries in a small space, like an urban area. Quadruple track for local vs. thru traffic is the ideal configuration.

I wholeheartedly agree. In the history of the UMR, Smithville was the last extension to the mainline. Its location was governed by the merging/creation sequence from east (Gladston-Halden and Ogden-Oakwood, or GHOO) to west (Desert Mountain Plains and the Smithville Sorting Facility). While it would make sense with a westward extension of the UMR, as a root yard it serves little purpose.

On that note, if anyone has a high-density route in a style similar to that of the UMR, perhaps we can request that neilsmith749 paste it west of Smithville. A high-density route is one with numerous industries in a small space, like an urban area. Quadruple track for local vs. thru traffic is the ideal configuration.

Back