Performance Increase For All

Interesting thread thought... For You guys which tried it already, post Your FPS for same place, map, scenario and vehicles load before and after applying that miraculous advanced RAM management tool to see any real impact. Also try to test FPS in TRS which runs first and second time after PC start to see any possible difference. For example my TRS06 doesn't like to get close to 2GB of RAM occupied, crash follows usually then.

Last edited:
Hi. As i understand it, the -KeepAllResources line shouldn't really be used if your ram limited and/or using a large detailed route, as it literally keeps all the resources that your route uses in a cache, thus reducing hard drive access and minimising possible stuttering.

Again as i understand it, the -ResourceMemory=XXXX simply sets up a cache for trainz to swap data instead of keep accessing the hard drive for data. The typical usage was/is around half your installed ram.

Of course it all depends on the O.S system used. Looking at my memory monitor, my windoze 7 is using 1.23GB of ram and thats just after booting up and having Seamonkey open to visit this forum :eek: Thus leaving a little over 2.0GB spare. For me, using the Ram Patch and CFF Explorer really does boost my systems performance.

I Hope this helps

Regards Barry

Barry: I have implemented your suggestions and I want to thank you. My 32bit WIN7 installation now recognizes all 7Gb of installed RAM. Also with regard to TRAINZ10, I am experiencing a 20-25% increase in average frame rates. I haven't had time to do serious comparisons with the patch, vs no patch, but I intend to do so and will post the results.

tomurban

@tomurban

Just to clear up my my old brain, what exactly have you done. Have you just made changes to the trainzoptions file (what have you set them to) or have you also installed the additional software?

Scottish

So WindWalkr, you can vouch for the fact that this CFF Explorer utility won't do anything at all? I am getting confused now, with others claiming it does help.
Or is this placebo effect? ;)

So WindWalkr, you can vouch for the fact that this CFF Explorer utility won't do anything at all? I am getting confused now, with others claiming it does help.
Or is this placebo effect? ;)

As far as I know using Win 7 64 bit doesn't give a 25% increase in frame rates over 32 bit so it must be something else completely unknown until now. You'd have to know a lot more about the hardware, and what was being run plus the viewing angle etc. to get a better idea.

Cheerio John

@tomurban

Just to clear up my my old brain, what exactly have you done. Have you just made changes to the trainzoptions file (what have you set them to) or have you also installed the additional software?

Scottish

Scottish: All I have done to this point (after a considerable amount of fear and trepidation) is exactly what barryg outlined in his initial post including CCF. The saving grace is that the boot up screen still gives me the option of a normal boot up without the patch. I also increased my virtual memory to the new maximum. I did this on New Year's Day and so far have not seen any ill effects.

I have what I would consider a modest system purchased last March with my Income Tax Refund. It is a slightly customized Lenovo SFF desktop running an Intel i5 650 processor (4 cores) @ 3.2 GHZ. It came with WIN XP and 3 GB of RAM installed at my request since I run a lot of older programs. After purchase I partitioned the HD and installed WIN7 (32 bit) and TRAINZ 10 on the partition in the hopes of obtaining better performance. Performance was better, but far from ideal. Installing additional RAM also helped a little. I also installed a stand alone video card to replace the on board Intel graphics. Because my PS is on small side (300W) I was somewhat limited in my choice of replacement. After considerable research, I selected the MSI GT430/1GB slightly over clocked @ 800 MHZ. This unit has military grade components, runs cool and hums along on about 30W @ full load. My monitor is a matching Lenovo 23" Flat Screen running at full screen. Total investment to date, (computer and upgrades only) is approximately $700 US dollars. Screen shot comparisons to come. Hope this gives you some insight. No changes to Trainzoptions at this time.

tomurban

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I downloaded the CFF Explorer and opened my trainz.exe file in it. It already has the 'can handle >2gb address space' option ticked by default and as far as I understand this means that the file already has the proper options out of the box without using CFF Explorer.

I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Out of curiosity I downloaded the CFF Explorer and opened my trainz.exe file in it. It already has the 'can handle >2gb address space' option ticked by default and as far as I understand this means that the file already has the proper options out of the box without using CFF Explorer.

I am running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Mine was not ticked by default. But I am not sure if it makes a difference in FPS since I installed patch and CFF at the same time. That would be another study. It could also be a 64-bit thing.

tomurban

Mine was not ticked by default. But I am not sure if it makes a difference in FPS since I installed patch and CFF at the same time. That would be another study. It could also be a 64-bit thing.

tomurban

This very much sounds like a 64-bit versus a 32-bit thing. The OS handles 32-bit applications differently in W7 64-bit. Where as in native 32-bit, the 32-bit addressing is only as much as a 32-bit space allows, thus the speed increase when the machine could see it's full load of RAM.

John

I added 2 more GB of memory to my Windows 7 Home Premium, 32bit, SP1 OS computer. The Computer Properties shows installed Memory as 4.00 GB (2.87 GB usable).
I downloaded and installed 4GB-RAMPatch-Multilingual-12.7.2010.exe. Computer Properties still shows 4.00 GB (2.87 GB usable). The current original kernel version: 6.1.7601.17713 and the current patched kernel is 6.1.7600.16539.
My options at boot up show:
Windows 7 ohne DDR-RAM Sperre (C:\Windows)
Windows 7 (C:\Windows):Current OS
The is no watermark in the lower right corner of the screen.

The Unawave.de webpage shows the Computer Properties for Installed memory is 4.00 GB (3.22 GB usable) and the options at boot up to be:
Windows 7 without DDR-RAM Lock
Windows 7
and that the lower right corner of the screen should display the watermark (Test Mode, Windows 7, Build 7600). The current patched kernel is 6.1.7600.16539.

The patch doesn't work for me so if I want to use my 4 GB of RAM I'll have to reinstall my Windows 7 OS as 64 bit.
Anyone have any other ideas on this?

Bob Weber

Instead of fooling around with patches and what not, risking stability issues of your OS. I would just take the safe route and upgrade to a 64-bit OS if you have the hardware. There's no easy fix, you know.
But that's just me. ;)

I could not agree more. However, in my case, I have numerous and some expensive 32 bit programs as well as supporting hardware. I did not want to risk having to scrap them. The patch, (so far) has given me the best of both worlds. I think I have discovered one minor issue. In attempting to take some screen shots (in TRAINZ) for posting here, Gadwin Print Screen is not "seeing" my TRAINZ screen. It is giving me a shot of my desktop instead. This may only be a compatibility issue since Gadwin is loaded on my WIN XP "C" Drive. The WIN7 Drive is linked to it (Gadwin) via a short cut on my WIN7 desktop. I may have to install a stand alone copy on the WIN7 Drive although it had worked before patching. Did I manage to confuse everyone?

tomurban

Last edited:
I added 2 more GB of memory to my Windows 7 Home Premium, 32bit, SP1 OS computer. The Computer Properties shows installed Memory as 4.00 GB (2.87 GB usable).
I downloaded and installed 4GB-RAMPatch-Multilingual-12.7.2010.exe. Computer Properties still shows 4.00 GB (2.87 GB usable). The current original kernel version: 6.1.7601.17713 and the current patched kernel is 6.1.7600.16539.
My options at boot up show:
Windows 7 ohne DDR-RAM Sperre (C:\Windows)
Windows 7 (C:\Windows):Current OS
The is no watermark in the lower right corner of the screen.

The Unawave.de webpage shows the Computer Properties for Installed memory is 4.00 GB (3.22 GB usable) and the options at boot up to be:
Windows 7 without DDR-RAM Lock
Windows 7
and that the lower right corner of the screen should display the watermark (Test Mode, Windows 7, Build 7600). The current patched kernel is 6.1.7600.16539.

The patch doesn't work for me so if I want to use my 4 GB of RAM I'll have to reinstall my Windows 7 OS as 64 bit.
Anyone have any other ideas on this?

Bob Weber

Bob: Sorry that the patch did not work for you. I suspect that it may be the Version of WIN7 being patched. Here are my "before" and "after" screen shots to my WIN7 Ultimate. Note that the full 7 GB of installed RAM is now available. I went from 2.99GB usable to 6.87. Also, I do have the watermark.

tomurban

Last edited:
I could not agree more. However, in my case, I have numerous and some expensive 32 bit programs as well as supporting hardware. I did not want to risk having to scrap them. The patch, (so far) has given me the best of both worlds. I think I have discovered one minor issue. In attempting to take some screen shots (in TRAINZ) for posting here, Gadwin Print Screen is not "seeing" my TRAINZ screen. It is giving me a shot of my desktop instead. This may only be a compatibility issue since Gadwin is loaded on my WIN XP "C" Drive. The WIN7 Drive is linked to it (Gadwin) via a short cut on my WIN7 desktop. I may have install a stand alone copy on the WIN7 Drive although it had worked before patching. Did I manage to confuse everyone?

tomurban

AFAIK running a 64 bit OS poses no problem whatsoever for 32bit applications.
Most applications are still 32 bit even.

If you can get the necessary drivers. Bottom line, TRAINZ 2010 has never run better or smoother, especially the large graphic intensive routes, some of which I could not run.

tomurban

Back