Bakersfield To San Bernardino

socalwb909

Photo Creator
-I have started something that will take forever to finish, but i want to finish it cause no one else has and with the release of trs2010, maybe it will be finished before the next auran release. My task is from Bakersfield, CA to Mojave, CA to Barstow, CA and to San Bernardino, CA area. (my home town) I've read other posts of people doing California routes but has never been finished. I am by no means an expert and suck at texturing but have confidence in my track laying ability and wish i was a content creator. I want something that will stand out better than msts and kuju and maybe something for auran fans to enjoy. I grew up in San Bernardino, I've been at all these places except bakersfield. I've seen the 3751 steam go up and down the cajon pass and the tehachapi loop in the 90's. I want to know what its like for an engineer in these places and here's my chance.
-So far i have track layed from Bakersfield to san bernardino, graded and mostly signaled for testing. My purpose of this posting is i guess to show my progress and get advise. Critizism is accepted but be easy since this is my first post ever on the trainz forum since i have owned a copy of trainz for prob. 4 plus years starting with trs2006. I've been working on the Barstow yard which is insane but its coming along.
-I want to thank fishlipsatwork (dls) and dermmy (checkrail.com) for the dems to make this possible. here are some pictures to start this off. Hopefully I posted in the right place!

-what will be bakersfield
socalwb909_20100302_0020.jpg

-caliente
socalwb909_20100302_0019.jpg

-bealville
socalwb909_20100302_0018.jpg

-woodford looking at the town of keene
socalwb909_20100302_0017.jpg

-woodford looking east towards the loop
socalwb909_20100302_0016.jpg

-tehachapi loop
socalwb909_20100302_0015.jpg

socalwb909_20100302_0014.jpg

-town of tehachapi
socalwb909_20100302_0013.jpg

-what will be mojave
socalwb909_20100302_0012.jpg

-barstow yard looking west
socalwb909_20100302_0011.jpg

-barstow yard looking east
socalwb909_20100302_0010.jpg

-barstow fly-over
socalwb909_20100302_0009.jpg

-victorville, where the amtrak station will be
socalwb909_20100302_0008.jpg

-frost
socalwb909_20100302_0007.jpg

-cajon summit
socalwb909_20100302_0006.jpg

-cajon summit looking down the hill
socalwb909_20100302_0005.jpg

-sullivans curve
socalwb909_20100302_0004.jpg

-bluecut
socalwb909_20100302_0003.jpg

-devore
socalwb909_20100302_0002.jpg

-san bernardino yard looking west
socalwb909_20100302_0001.jpg

-san bernardino yard looking east
socalwb909_20100302_0000.jpg

-So this is what i have so far and track layed in between all the pictures. thanks for looking!

-Joe

Your trackwork and texturing look great. At Bealville though, you might want to switch out the 2 single track crossings for one double track crossing. Otherwise, keep up the great work! It's time there was a decent replacement for TPR's Tehachapi, and with Cajon Pass being included in the route might make this one of the best Western American routes out there!

Your trackwork and texturing look great. At Bealville though, you might want to switch out the 2 single track crossings for one double track crossing. Otherwise, keep up the great work! It's time there was a decent replacement for TPR's Tehachapi, and with Cajon Pass being included in the route might make this one of the best Western American routes out there!
-about the crossing i did have that at first but i sacrificed it for how the track is positioned in real life. i will have to find a better replacement :)
-thanks for the positive replies so far!

-joe

TPR has a pretty realistic route that allready has a Tehachapi Loop route.
http://www.trainzproroutes.org/routemain.html

-Thanks. i do know they have the tehachapi route (mojave sub) and i have taken some cruises on it back in the day. take a look at google maps and the map on their route? they do good work and i have a lot of stuff from them. and there tehachapi has been around for a while now. i'm not trying to put them down either. plus it doesn't work for me in trs2010. All i'm doing is making my version of it and my route isn't just about the Loop!

-Joe

Looking good, I hope you're able to finish it. I've lived in Bakersfield for 30 years so if you need any questions answered just ask. I have tunnels designed for the loop, They're on the DLS. I have Bakersfield to Mojave but have never finished it. For crossings I recommend the ATLS crossings due to the grades, as these crossings can be set independently of the track and will also activate at a greater distance.
On a side note they had a derailment at tunnel 9 at Walong a week ago, with two cars catching on fire that the fire department had to let burnout on its own due to the nature of the product. It did considerable damage to the tunnel and track so it's still closed to all traffic, as of last weekend at least when I drove by there.
I'll be looking forward to downloading it.

I actually started the Cajon a while back, but I gave up due to distraction of more Eastern stuff. I am glad to see that someone is creating it for TRS, as well as doing a damn fine job.

hello Joe,
Fantastic start there chief I'm envious of your track work man,
that's looking real tight your texturing is looking smart as well,
I better get my A into G & grab 2010 in anticipation for the release of that bad boy looking route.
Have fun building & take your time as good things are wroth waiting for.
cheers
Andrew.

-kingstonflyer: thanks man! and all i can say about my track laying is i'm sick of rulers but they are your friend! I just DL ur route recently and i'm very impressed. you have a thing for detail and hope my route can match to yours!

- Thanks for all comments. I honestly thought when i posted this i was going to get the smack down but turns out its the complete opposite. i will try to post an updated pic of my progress at least every other day or depending on if i feel like my work was worth a pic for the time frame!

-Joe

Smackdown? Never ever!
:)
It looks really great! Nice straight tracks, lots of ´em and a nice scenery so far.
No-one who ever build a route himself would smack down someone who invests his heartblood and 100s of hours into his project. Anyone could see that you did very well and that you made up your mind before.

What I recommend is that you should divide your project. Building my first one myself, I can tell that the process of detailing huge spaces can get very sluggish and agonizing! Besides that, you can get results & feedback sooner if you release smaller sections. Believe me, I would if I had to start over again...
;)

Keep up with such nice screenshots.
Greetz
A.

Nice route, I really like your choice of textures, very prototypical ! Same with trackage, too ! All the best in building this route, I will be following this.:wave:

Holy Swiss Cheese, this is looking ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!:Y: Tell me it's TS2010, it must be with the long viewing distance. This route has given me a great excuse to buy TS2010, excellent work socalwb909!;)

Happy Trainzing, and keep up the better-than-good work,
Scott.

You can increase the viewing distance to more than 53 miles in TRS2004 & TRS2006 by downloading "Trainz Tuner v 1.2" from Qaurc. Your framerates will slow, as you increase the view distance though. I use it for screenshots, set at @ 3 miles, and set it back to default afterwards.
http://www.gaurc.us/index_files/software.htm
http://www.kreativenergy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=13&Itemid=29
http://www.kreativenergy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=28

EDIT:
Does TS2010 have animated tumble weeds ?
How about Speed Cactus ?

Last edited:
Holy Swiss Cheese, this is looking ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!:Y: Tell me it's TS2010, it must be with the long viewing distance. This route has given me a great excuse to buy TS2010, excellent work socalwb909!;)

Happy Trainzing, and keep up the better-than-good work,
Scott.

-Yes i am building in trs2010! wanted to take advantage of the new speed trees!

-Joe

Back