How to use portals

peter1jeep

1. Is there a tutorial on how to use portals, can you make up a 2 track portal?
2. How many trains can you have running without the software malfunctioning?

I would like to run, say, passenger trains once around then into a portal and wait, say, 30 minutes, then maybe put another train into a portal, this seems to remove them from the overall game:eek:

peter.

hi,
Ill try to help,
your first question Iam not entirely sure what your asking so I cant help you.

But your second question, yes you can have a train enter portal then tell the portal to return train in 30mins you can even return train to a different portal if you wanted, also it will continue its schedule if you had commands after it enters the portal.

hth,
hert:wave:

1. Is there a tutorial on how to use portals, can you make up a 2 track portal?
2. How many trains can you have running without the software malfunctioning?

I would like to run, say, passenger trains once around then into a portal and wait, say, 30 minutes, then maybe put another train into a portal, this seems to remove them from the overall game:eek:

peter.

I use portal a lot. I have portals that generate trains and portals that consume trains at the end of their journey. Some of my routes have as many as 50 trains running at the same time all under AI control. So to answer your second question how many trains depends a little bit upon your computer and also upon how much scenery you have built into the route. It will also depend on how long your consists are. I have some trolley routes with over 70 running at the same time with no problems, but in this case there is only one car per consist involved. If you like to have trains of 30 to 50 cars each then you may notice jerky operation and greatly reduced frame rates as you increase the number of consists. I have never had a crash due to running too many consists. I have however seen the frame rates drop when many consists are running especially in areas of where I have dense scenery like buildings, trees, and roads.

Running TS2010 in native mode improves the frame rate significantly.

Hi, thankyou all for your help, I have two portals in use and they work great now.

The computer is a quad core, about 2 g speed, 8 G RAM
and a halfway there video card that has to have it's own leads from the new power supply, cost about $200.

Peter.

I use portal a lot. I have portals that generate trains and portals that consume trains at the end of their journey. Some of my routes have as many as 50 trains running at the same time all under AI control. So to answer your second question how many trains depends a little bit upon your computer and also upon how much scenery you have built into the route. It will also depend on how long your consists are. I have some trolley routes with over 70 running at the same time with no problems, but in this case there is only one car per consist involved. If you like to have trains of 30 to 50 cars each then you may notice jerky operation and greatly reduced frame rates as you increase the number of consists. I have never had a crash due to running too many consists. I have however seen the frame rates drop when many consists are running especially in areas of where I have dense scenery like buildings, trees, and roads.

Running TS2010 in native mode improves the frame rate significantly.

I noticed this too on my route. I have several portals that act as branches and extensions of my long mainline. Like yours I end up with about 45 or 50 trains running at once not counting the ones that I've setup on the route locally. The portals emit and receive the consists quite nicely, but as time goes on, and the traffic builds up, the AI drivers get dumber than dumb! I think this has something to do with the computer hardware being unable to keep up with the program's requests so there's a delay in how the AI are acting to their command lists.

Anyway I'll have to give the portals a try when I can with 2010 right now I'm still redoing my passenger terminal and big city to better standards.

John

Back