Who produces the best quality add-ons?

CurlSnout

Hello, citizens. First of all, I realize this may be an un-answerable question. I'm not looking to start any fights and I don't want to make anyone go crazy. But I'm new to all this (just installed TS2010) and I'm having a pretty frustrating time downloading content from the DLS. Many searches, for items I know are out there (based on what others assure me), come back empty. Many that come back with results show me a tiny thumbnail image, and often, after successfully getting something, I load it into the sim only to find that it is not really what I was after. On top of all this, I'm still using a dial-up modem (hopefully that's going to change in 2010).

In any case, I know that from years of working with other sims, within every group there is or will be a number of developers that rise to the top and are universally acknowledged as skilled craftsmen (/women); you can bet that most of what they turn out will be worth the wait.

I've already discovered, through trial-and-error, a few very talented and generous individuals who are producing excellent quality add-ons for Trainz.
Can anyone offer specific usernames that I can use in my searches, to find high-fidelity models of locomotives and rolling stock (routes too, I suppose, although I haven't gotten that far yet)? I'm mainly intersted in transition era stuff, but I appreciate good models of just about anything/everything that is trains-related.

Apologies to anyone who considers this kind of question simply too vague and simplistic. Sometimes life is like that.

Peace,

cs

Welcome to the addictive world of Trainz !!!

If you cant find some particular item, then just ask and usually someone has the answer.

I have a lot of content, have a look at my website blow.

There are quite a few creators, route builders etc, both for free (freeware) and at a purchase/donation (payware). Have a look at the Settle and Carlisle' add on, very good for TS2010, as is Murchison

Both US and UK steamers are my speciality, as you will see. Ranging from the 1850's to Current, although most are based between 1920 and 1960.

So we need to know what you mean by 'transition era'

So we need to know what you mean by 'transition era'

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Your site is one that I've already bookmarked. Some really nice looking stuff there.

'Transition era' is a term frequently used within the world of model railroaders (I run HO gauge - 1:87 scale - models) to make reference to the period, roughly 1940s to 1950s in the United States, during which both steam and diesel locomotives travelled the rails. Steam was (generally) being phased out and diesel was (again, generally) coming into its own. At least in the U.S.; my familiarity with the rest of the world is, sadly, lacking.

Thanks again,

Sam

Hi Sam,
The last time I counted there was 1867 really great contents creators... (now that was a while ago, so that could have doubled since then)... :hehe:
I understand what you are asking, and I'm not trying to be smart, but it's like asking "how long is a piece of string" !!! All very subjective. My list of "TOP 100 CREATORS" is totally different than, say Sam's. Sam's is totally different than say Karen's & so on...

Over the years we have had a several "What the top 5 - 10 routes/layouts"? threads. (or who's the best creators?), whats the best this? - or what's the best that? etc, etc...
Sometimes creators have got there nose alittle out of joint because there route/creation/s hasn't made it to someones "top list" Do a search of the forum for these Threads/Posts. They will give you some idea of some of the communities favourites...

There is a lot that you need to take into consideration. As an example; there's not point in downloading a really highly detailed, large route/layout that requires a "high end gaming machine" to run, if you only have a mid to low spec'ed PC...

Have a look through the Download Station and see how many time an item has been downloaded and that will give you some idea of how popular the item is. (keep in mind the less time a item has been on the Download Station, the less time people have had to download it). Give it a try and you will soon understand what I mean.
There's also heaps of incredible stuff on 3rd party sites. (some freeware & some payware)... Part of the fun is finding them...
Cheers, Mac...

You might be interested in a comment on Paulz Trainz from one of his customers.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=50088

Whitepass has exceptionally good content but his latest content needs TS2009/10. If you look at the DLS and the download count that gives you some idea of how popular it is but beware the older stuff uses smaller textures and lower polys so doesn't look as good in TS2009/10 as the newer items designed for these versions. Also the download count reflects how long its been available for download.

VisBits or flamerail did some very nice content, have a look here

http://uslw.net/index.php

http://trainzproroutes.com/downloads is worth a look, other sites here:

http://www.jointedrail.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=36&Itemid=75

Be aware that steam support in TC3, TS2009/10 has been improved, so if you are interested in steam then look for items with the new engine specs or look up how to switch the existing ones. VMD has some nice items but don't support the newer steam specs yet.

I think I have a few US items that were made by request on the DLS, but US isn't really what I'm interested in so there is nothing earth shattering there.

Vinnybarb is a very good content creator who I think does US stuff.

Hope that helps start you off on the right direction but if you get into the nice UK stuff then I have lots of names for you.

Cheerio John

Paulz Trainz has payware steamers.
Whitepass did some early diesel (Erie, FM).
The only transition GPs/SDs are eaither early freeware on DLS or payware from VMD.
http://www.virtual-motive-division.com/index.html
You would have to ask them if you wish to purchase as their store is still publicly closed.
I think you could get these to work but I'm not up on steam fixes needed.
http://www.steammachine.com/bdaneal/index.htm
There's at least one finished project steamer here.
http://www.steamtrainz.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=55

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies and thoughtful suggestions.

I appreciate that the nature of the question I raised is problematic, as the answer is perspective-dependent and entirely subjective.

I've bookmarked the suggested sites, and I will continue to slug it out with the DLS. Much to learn for a novice. But it's OK; when it gets to the point where I'm overwhelmed I'll just go run some models around for a bit.

Thanks again,

cs

"Best Quality" + "TRS10" is going to come up light simply because not enough time has elapsed for a lot of really good content to come out for a relatively new platform.

Searching username hfmurphy will yield a lot of 'transition era' L&N stuff, but it was all done a long time ago. It was 'best quality' when SP3 was the hottest thing in Trainz, but it won't hold a candle to stuff created in the last 6 months. No disrespect to Mr Murphy, I love his stuff and still run it in TRS04/06.

If you are looking for somewhere to run Frank's locos, click my sig and find your way to my 'East Kentucky' route download. It is detailed to a 'transition era' look, but once again EK2 was hot potatoes when it was released 3 years ago, but it is a bare looking route by today's standards. I am in the process of re-detailing it to suit today's vid card and cpus, but it will still not be 'best quality' in TRS10 because I am sticking with alpha trees, so it will need to be run in compatibility mode wherein it still won't look as good as it does in TRS06. It will run better in 10 though, so ya pays yer money and takes yer choice...

Andy ;)

If you are trying to search using TS2010's CMP, try doing the same search via the website interface. (Remember to check all the versions from your version down to Trainz.) The CMP in 2010 doesn't seem to be able to do category searches correctly, while the website does. (Most stuff I search for and download via CMP initially appears to be of type "Misc" rather then what it really is.)

This is an easy one to answer since there is no such thing as an add-on for Trainz.

You can install extra content into your tainz but as these are then merged into to the main trainz database can no be classed as add ons at all :D :wave: :p

Back