Frisco 1522

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know but money & time is tight right now, so the best I can tell you is that we have to wait & see what happens from now,but I for one am not ruling out the possibility for it not to run!:cool:

No. 1522 is done up for a LONG time. Don't listen to that UP5521 kid. He has no clue what he is talking about. 1522 had it's fires dropped to begin with, due to unbelievable insurance costs. Running a steam locomotive in the 21st Century is NOT the easiest of things to do. Its not as simple as maintaining a good head of steam, and keeping the fire hot. Money plays a big factor in this system. The consequence for injury on one of these machines is unbelievable, and in this sue happy nation of ours, some child could scrape his arm on the pilot, and the parents sue the owners of the locomotive for collateral damage. Machines like these need to be insured for millions upon millions. Unless your the child of Bill Gates, and you can fund the insurance costs, it won't run.
Anyway, 1522 has had it's fires dropped for a long time, and most likely will never run again. Simple as it gets.

The 1522 was an excursion locomotive I grew up with. I was extremely sad when I heard it wouldn't be running anymore. Like any other steam lover, I'd love to see 1522 run again. I don't know when, but I really hope htey don't let her rust!

I find it really sad that some of the steam engines that are left are on display exposed to the elements with no shelter when they could be out and running but yeah, I hope she is not rusting away as well!:(

Hi Alex99al: I was just reading about the 1522..It is currently in the Museum at St. Louis..It was retired in 2002 under roof in operating condition..According to the St. Louis Steam Train Assoc..There were 3 things that entered the picture..
Insurance costs went thru the roof..Boiler Work required by Fed. Government..Limited Access to the Mainlines for tourism(Excursions)..

I too would like to see it back in steam, but its only Money..

Bob Cass:) :)

you want a problem...how about PRR K4 1361?

that is a big one and the last I read,she was undergoing a overhaul and she could be out and running again but I have not read anything else,so I guess her status is Pending at the moment!:eek:

The boiler is currently too thin, they said the boiler has always been to thinn (yet she is almost 100 years old and survived this long) so they sent or or sending the boiler to a rail shop in Georiga(?) to do work on it

Thank you!

excellent and once they completely restore the locomotive, I'm sure she is most likely to run again!:cool:

like the 1361, I believe the 1522 should be up and running again but there are some big time problems that prevents this:

1.money
2.time
3.tools
4.workers
5.trackage rights

ever since the st.Louis steam train association disbanded due to rising insurance costs and the mentioned above is why the engine has not operated since then and it is a shame that had to happen that way!:(

#195.... reminds me

This situation kinda reminds me of the struggle we are in trying to get WP&Y #195 out of Skagaway.

Oh well

Even if the real 1522 doesn't steam again, at least we can download her off the DLS and run her in excursions in Trainz. I usually run her with an Amtrak F40PH from ProTrainz.com facing in reverse behind her tender or on the end of the train to pull her excursions back. Feel free to talk about more steamers that could steam again and who could forgot Pennsy 1361. As a Pennsy fan, the 1361 is one of my favorite PRR steamer. In time, I would like to get together with a few Trainzers and together we could either make 1361 or a K4s that comes in their different road numbers,

Sorry for the bump, but I've got a current pic of the 1522 shot this summer.

It's in good condition, not perfect, but easily runnable again with minor work.

6253_101600166520147_100000104929131_26431_4937896_n.jpg

6253_101600146520149_100000104929131_26425_4300944_n.jpg

From my memory, the reasons it was retired, first and foremost, were rising insurance due to several major derailments on major railroads, and those railroads'(specifically BNSF's) refusal to let them run due to those derailments.

Hi All: Thanks for the pics Robby very nice looking engine..The one on the DLS is also good looking but I don't like the Whistle sound it has or the engine sound..I've tried to change it by going to the Con-fig, but it dissappears once you have changed it..Anyway getting back to the subject..Robby you are absolutely right about the insurance, it went through the roof..BNSF would not let them run on there rails..They couldn't use or get some mainlines too use for there Excursions..I've read alot about this engine and it is really ashame not to see it run again..But I have it on Video, so I enjoy it that way(Napps included)..

Bob Cass:) :)

sell frisco 1522 to the strasburg railroad

Sorry for the bump, but I've got a current pic of the 1522 shot this summer.

It's in good condition, not perfect, but easily runnable again with minor work.

6253_101600166520147_100000104929131_26431_4937896_n.jpg

6253_101600146520149_100000104929131_26425_4300944_n.jpg

From my memory, the reasons it was retired, first and foremost, were rising insurance due to several major derailments on major railroads, and those railroads'(specifically BNSF's) refusal to let them run due to those derailments.

IF THE MUSEUM THAT OWNS THE 1522 SELL IT STRASBURG WOULD BUY AND RESTORE IT TO MAIN LINE SERVICE AND LEASE TO THE LYCOMING VALLEY RAILROAD FOR PASSENGER TRAINS AND BUSSINESS TRAINS ON THE LYCOMING VALLEY RAILROAD SYSTEM IN NEWBERRY PA:wave:

IF THE MUSEUM THAT OWNS THE 1522 SELL IT STRASBURG WOULD BUY AND RESTORE IT TO MAIN LINE SERVICE AND LEASE TO THE LYCOMING VALLEY RAILROAD FOR PASSENGER TRAINS AND BUSSINESS TRAINS ON THE LYCOMING VALLEY RAILROAD SYSTEM IN NEWBERRY PA:wave:

and you have proof of this...how?

and you have proof of this...how?
exactly...The Strausburg already has enough steamers, why would they want this Locomotive that is way to far out of reach? face it, the 1522 will never steam again! Neither will my personal favorite PRR 1361 :'( by the way dpfan1 , DO NOT TYPE IN FULL CAPITAL LETTERS:n:, SEE HOW ANNOYING THIS IS????

exactly...The Strausburg already has enough steamers, why would they want this Locomotive that is way to far out of reach? face it, the 1522 will never steam again! Neither will my personal favorite PRR 1361 :'( by the way dpfan1 , DO NOT TYPE IN FULL CAPITAL LETTERS:n:, SEE HOW ANNOYING THIS IS????
I know PRR 1361 is sitting in steamtown roundhouse strasburg should restore 1361 to steam and run on PRR lines like the bald eagle line:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back