Can they fix the CM search?

Forester1

Just now was looking to see if I had any 4-8-0 locomotive. I got over 2200 results, and as near as I could see got no 4-8-0 locomotives. I tried using quotes to no avail. Can they fix the search to get a literal search instead of anything remotely close?

When I search
- Installed = False
- Category = Locomotive
- 4-8-0

I get zero results but if I change "4-8-0" to "4-8" I get 174 results including some 4-8-2's and some 4-8-4's but no 4-8-0.

Just now was looking to see if I had any 4-8-0 locomotive. I got over 2200 results, and as near as I could see got no 4-8-0 locomotives. I tried using quotes to no avail. Can they fix the search to get a literal search instead of anything remotely close?
That and adding wildcard searches too would be really helpful. There are so many authors and assets that are so difficult to find because we can't remember how to spell the author's name or the assets.

Hi folks, my thoughts......

Are there actually any 4-8-0 loco's in Trainz?
If there are none, that's why the dumb machine isn't showing any!

My observations. A simple search using CM

CM-4-8-0.png

Hmmm. I just noticed that the "loco driving" are bogies only. A search of DLC also drew a blank.

Last edited:
Are there actually any 4-8-0 loco's in Trainz?
Have you looked? Why are you asking us instead of taking 23 seconds to look for yourself?
But, hey, it is the Christmas season so I'll be generous and do your work for you.
This time.

And this highlights a huge problem with searches - the item names and detailed descriptions both say nothing about it being a 4-8-0, it gives only the class designation and the using railway.

SAR T Class 253 [Detailed]
TS12
Created by:
trw1089
File Size: 682.35 kb
KUID2: <KUID2:126323:253:2>
Date: 5th May 2019
Downloaded: 1318

SAR T Class 253 Std Gauge [Detailed]
TS12
Created by:
trw1089
File Size: 690.67 kb
KUID2: <KUID2:126323:453:2>
Date: 5th May 2019
Downloaded: 1930

Download using Download Helper

Locomotive
SAR T Class Loco No 198 Narrow Gauge 3ft6in
Type:Locomotives
Downloaded: 1808
File Size:989.39 kb
File Type:.cdp
Created by:pware
Date:5th September 2020
Version:TS12
KUID:<KUID:45176:100958>

FTP Location: (for FTP users)
/Restricted/trainz/TRAINZ2009/locomotives/kuid_45176_100958.cdp

Description:
One of 78 narrow gauge (42inch or 1067mm) T class locos built for the SAR (South Australian Railways) during 1903 to 1917 specifically for the Port Pirie to Broken Hill line ore trains. Mesh modified by elstoko and reskinned by pware with permission of the original creator trw1089. This version uses the safeworking token (ticket and staff) system by elstoko. Many thanks to the Content Repair Group who have repaired the T Class locos for TANE/TRS19.

When I search
- Installed = False
- Category = Locomotive
- 4-8-0

I get zero results but if I change "4-8-0" to "4-8" I get 174 results including some 4-8-2's and some 4-8-4's but no 4-8-0.
It looks like the name search ignores anything before or after a dash, odd. Use -8- instead and you get a long list of steam locomotives with 8 driver wheels. Use -6- for 6 driver wheels. So on and so on.

And this highlights a huge problem with searches - the item names and detailed descriptions both say nothing about it being a 4-8-0, it gives only the class designation and the using railway.

I am embarrassed to say that there are 24 x 4-8-0 Narrow Gauge (4'8.5" - 1067mm) T Class locos and their tenders on the DLS that I reskinned (with permission) from the originals by trw1089 as described in post #7 above. When I created, uploaded and used them in my TGR Fingal Line and SAR Peterborough Narrow Gauge Division routes I never bothered to count the wheel arrangement - all that mattered was that the original was a genuine SAR T Class loco (which were also used on the TGR).

The fact that the information "4-8-0" is missing from the description is entirely my fault.:cry:

Last edited:
That and adding wildcard searches too would be really helpful. There are so many authors and assets that are so difficult to find because we can't remember how to spell the author's name or the assets.
I agree, definitely a must. Many have names with numbers that are hard to remember for each author.

You do realize you can save searches and re-use them. Most of my saved searches are based on creator's names.
Saving searches for around 30+ authors just creates a list that would be also present in the new S 20. This is why it's much more helpful if you type "fineas" and not the whole name to show my assets or to suggest names as you type.

All the best,
Fin

Another factor in searches by steam locomotive wheel arrangement is that not everyone on planet Earth used/uses the same system.
Some counted the wheels, for a 4-8-0
Some counted the axles, for a 2-4-0 (which a search would lump in with the wheel counters' 2-4-0 which would be a 1-2-0 in the axle counters' system)
Some used alphabet for powered axles which are coupled, for a 2-D-0 (French I know did this. Do not know if any others did)

Granted, but the problem I am having is just getting the search to narrow down over 2200 hits for 4-8-0 when actually NONE of them appear to be actual 4-8-0. I do wonder maybe if I had a 4-8-0 loco it would be listed first at least, so I wouldn't have to glean through the whole list looking?

With reference to 'on30gn15' reply to me. his post #7

OUCH !

FYI
There's a chunk of text missing from the middle of the post.
I used the filters.....
installed = false
category = locomotive
name = 4-8-0

and yes, I did spend the 23 seconds looking, to no avail, hence my question are there any (In Trainz)?

Yeah, that's the same question that got me started looking also, LenLawrence. Pware mentions his T Class locos above.
@pware, thanks for the filter terms, at least it limits it to the literal name. I got the same results, no locos, but tenders and bogies

swap the 2-8-0 frount bogie for a 4 wheel one maybe?
Won't work with most if not all 2-8-0 because the cylinders sit very close to the leading driver and on a 4-8-0 or a 4-anything with outside cylinders (inside cylinders are sometimes a bit of a different ballgame) there needs to be a gap between drivers and cylinders to allow space for rear axle of that 4 wheel bogie, which is usually centered under the cylinders.

Back