New to Trainz

Tracker99

Just wanted to finally say Hi and introduce myself to the Trainz community. I've been a long time arm chair model railroader who has on occasion built a few N Scale layouts that all fell short of their original concepts. Space, time, and funds were the main down falls.

Trainz was recommended to me as a way to have the layout(s) of a life time without having the constraints I've always had to deal with. So I downloaded the demo and was hooked. I ordered Trainz 2009 two months ago, and got to work on my learning curve. Once I made it through all the basic tutorials, I downloaded a few layouts that were operationally oriented, then started to modify them to meet my goals.

I quickly came to the realization that I needed to create a semi prototypical layout that would let me have the type of operation I wanted, and let me continue to learn the basics of Trainz 09. And so the Southern Kansas Division was born.

The SKD is 35 boards in total, runs from Flynn Oklahoma to Augusta Kansas, with a interchange at Hackney Kansas for the Norfolk Southern.

Operation has, and is more then I ever envisioned was possible, as I continually fell back into the real world model railroading mindset. I made a lot of mistakes laying track, but was able to correct the vast majority of these including installing bridges and adding a few tunnels.

Scenery is so much more enjoyable in the virtual world then the real world, as no messy white glue mixtures, Hydrocal, etc are needed. And it's instantaneous. What's more, everything is correctable. I start off with basic scenery then slowly add more and more detail till my fps take too great a hit, then back it off some.

While I've only scenic about 1/5 of the layout, the operation sessions have been more then I've ever imagined. And this is with just me one running train at a time. AI operation will have to way until I figure out how to have all the track orientations in the same direction as I didn't really understand this concept till I was far into the track laying.

I've been lurking here, reading everything I can, and using the search function to solve many problems with great success.

I've also found many other sites and have downloaded content from each of them as well. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them have problems. I work to solve each issue until I can actually use the engine, car, etc, then live with the other issues. Rarely does any download seem to be complete including a percentage that are downloaded from Trainz.

I'm looking forward to becoming a more active board member in the future as my knowledge increases.

Tracker99,

Welcome aboard !
Sounds like you have a good handle on TS2009 . I am certain you will be a huge contributor to the Forum .

--- ,DLR

Hello Tracker.
I am in the same boat you are, and I suspect we are not alone. It seems there are quite a few people from the scale modeling world here.
Good luck.
Loren

Greetings Tracker99 from another "one time" model railway guy - I still have a G scale setup in my garage with a purpose built shed just for the return loops. I was planning a garden extension and even got the groundworks done for it but lost interest and I haven't run it in 6 months. I often wonder why I spent all the money I did on the G scale when I (now) get more fun out of Trainz! (n.b. One point, AKA "switch" in G scale costs more money than the latest version of Trainz and a First Class Ticket for a year).

Anyway Tracker99 welcome to Trainz and the Forum.

Cheers

Chris

Tracker99,

Welcome to Trainz!

It is so refreshing to see a new user come aboard who has some typing skills.
You also seem like you really know what you are talking about and also look as though you will post interesting and informative posts and threads that will be a joy to read.
It looks as though you will be an enjoyable and knowledgeable person to have here.
I totally agree with deeelare, you look like you are going to be real contributor, welcome aboard my friend!
It is also very commendable that you took a few months to get a handle on the simulator before coming here, very good move and I'm sure I can speak for a few users in the fact that is makes the user more enjoyable.
I got mine in May of '08 and started here in November of '08, but just ask DLR, I was quite inmature from the beginning!
But every one here was always kind to me and welcomed me, it is a great place to be.

Cheers,
Woody

Last edited:
G'day Tracker and welcome aboard.

If you haven't already discovered the Trainz Resources Directory, you'll find most Community web sites listed there, including several foreign ones that also have heaps of assets.

Thanks for taking time to familiarise yourself with the forums before jumping in. Unfortunately the search function isn't the best, so it does pay to subscribe to a thread if you like what you see. I think I'm subscribed to about 200 at present, so even that can get a bit out of hand.

Good luck with your route and enjoy!

Hi Tracker99: Welcome..Welcome As a former HO Gauger, I'm still Amazed by how much I can learn just by reading this forum. For example, Did you know you can push the Brackett key at the same time your adding texture and get away from the pattern look..Wow isn't that something..I found this out just by reading the forum about it, it was just one of those things that I had
been thinking about.

Bob Cass:) :)

Hi Tracker99: Welcome..Welcome As a former HO Gauger, I'm still Amazed by how much I can learn just by reading this forum. For example, Did you know you can push the Brackett key at the same time your adding texture and get away from the pattern look..Wow isn't that something..I found this out just by reading the forum about it, it was just one of those things that I had
been thinking about.

Bob Cass:) :)

Bob,

Great tip. Going to check it out ASAP as the pattern look is one thing that has really stood out in my scenery.

Back