Make your Own Train Company

Point Jeyes Railyard System Map and Gurtantown

This is the route map for the Point Jeyes Railyard Company. The connecting system, Gurtantown Central is listed as well. The PJRy is more of a holding company these days, owning the Moscow, Camden & San Augustine in Texas; the Verney Jct Branch in Buckinghamshire, England; the Ventura County Railroad in Ventura, California; and the President of PJRy owns a good share of Canadian Pacific, as well as the retired ocean liner RMS Queen Mary, which serves as a private yacht. The family that owns the line recently purchased the retired Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) and intends to restore it to operation (with new build steam turbines replicating those removed in 1987). There is a small spur off the Vilanova main that leads to the harbour where these monstrous beauties are kept, as well as the 4 steam tugs to berth them. The mainline runs from Point Jeyes to Lake Kee, a distance of just over 112 miles. There is an 8 mile branchline to serve a lumber mill, that veers off between Pug Creek and Barnum Hill. There is yet another branch that goes inland toward Hopland. At Lake Kee the line connects to Gurtantown Central tracks. The Vilanova division of the mainline runs southeast from Point Jeyes through downtown Point Jeyes proper, with a speed limit of 100mph. In Point Jeyes proper the line to Shay Sound heads north to connect with the Union Pacific. It passes the historic village, at school, and crosses through a double track covered bridge. The track then passes the arriving yard at the Shay Sound Yard Complex(4 tracks) a yard with a locomotive depot (turntable, coal dock, water tank, and engine shed.) A goods/freight station and passenger station are off the 4th track. The track then continues about 2 more miles to the physical connection. It passes over UP on a bridge and comes down to level on the far side. There is a small station and signal box at the connection with 2 small sidings.

As mentioned before, this is a Class I scale steam railway with 200+ steam engines operating or under overhaul, no displays, etc. with full shops and technology from the steam age, nothing modern. From the Inyo, a prized annual operator having link and pins, to no. 4004 the line's Big Boy having a radio and automatic stoker. The signals are semaphores and CPLs, manually worked as in the 1900s.
8459091b091527c5164028ac07364058.png

The Gurtantown Central is a modern, typical Class II or Class III line, it operates a freight service interchanging with PJRy (and UP via PJRy) and through their own physical connection with BNSF on the South Main. They have a steam programme with excursions on many weekends on the North Division, headed by ex-USATC 1702, SSW 819, or T&P 314 restored as T&P 397. Reading 2100 sits withdrawn besides/behind the Gurtanville shops, after a failed conversion to oil. 2100 is awaiting overhaul and conversion back to coal.Their characteristic engines are their fleet of bright red ex-Indiana Railroad Geeps still in the former owner's paint. GTCRR owns 1 high hood, ex-Indiana 3800, a GP38-2 that runs SHF. Originally all the geeps had high hoods and ran LHF, except for the 2 ex-SP and the ex-A&R which had chop noses with mars lights. The line also owns 4 SD60s in Soo line or Indiana Paint. It has recently purchased 4 test-bed BP4s (battery powered locos) and will use those for switching the large railroad sponsored industrial park at the terminus, Gurtantown.

Saturnr

Last edited:
The Floridian Railroad was the railroad that ran alongside the FEC. It was one of the last railroads that used steam. While many railroads replaced their steam with diesel, the Floridian was still using steam to their full potential. The steam fleet consisted of 30 ex-Nickel Plate Road S Class Berkshires, and 20 ex-L&N K Class Pacifics. The Berkshires were redesigned to fit the Floridian's requirements and were reclassified as the D Class. Beside from their fast freight services, the Floridian was very well known for their three streamlined passenger trains: The Gulf, The Ocean, and the Sunshine. They were all pulled by the D Berkshires.

The Sunshine was pulled by special Berkshires that received skyline casing, after the Southern Pacific, and were converted to burn oil. This train consisted of 12 streamlined cars built by Budd and ran between New York and Miami. The Gulf ran between Corpus Christi and Fort Myers. This train was pulled by the regular coal burning D Class. The Ocean ran on the same rails as the Sunshine, just between Atlanta and Miami.

The whistles used by the steam locomotives were built in the Floridian's Naples Shops. The whistle used by the Pacifics sound like this: https://clyp.it/yds2ifxt (I love this creation of mine)
The whistle used on the D Class Berkshires sounds like this: https://clyp.it/jkg0bt20

The Floridian Railroad was the railroad that ran alongside the FEC. It was one of the last railroads that used steam. While many railroads replaced their steam with diesel, the Floridian was still using steam to their full potential. The steam fleet consisted of 30 ex-Nickel Plate Road S Class Berkshires, and 20 ex-L&N K Class Pacifics. The Berkshires were redesigned to fit the Floridian's requirements and were reclassified as the D Class. Beside from their fast freight services, the Floridian was very well known for their three streamlined passenger trains: The Gulf, The Ocean, and the Sunshine. They were all pulled by the D Berkshires.

The Sunshine was pulled by special Berkshires that received skyline casing, after the Southern Pacific, and were converted to burn oil. This train consisted of 12 streamlined cars built by Budd and ran between New York and Miami. The Gulf ran between Corpus Christi and Fort Myers. This train was pulled by the regular coal burning D Class. The Ocean ran on the same rails as the Sunshine, just between Atlanta and Miami.

The whistles used by the steam locomotives were built in the Floridian's Naples Shops. The whistle used by the Pacifics sound like this: https://clyp.it/yds2ifxt (I love this creation of mine)
The whistle used on the D Class Berkshires sounds like this: https://clyp.it/jkg0bt20

Those whistles are beautiful, particularly the D class. My gimme pig wants to know are they available anywhere? Are either of these SP or D&RGW and were they recorded at Cass?

Saturnr

Thank you! The Pacific was an American 3 Chime I made to sound like a 6 chime in Audacity. The D Class was a Hancock Shortbell 3 chime modified to be a 6 chime. I'll see what I can do. ;)

Thank you! The Pacific was an American 3 Chime I made to sound like a 6 chime in Audacity. The D Class was a Hancock Shortbell 3 chime modified to be a 6 chime. I'll see what I can do. ;)
Quite interesting. Beautiful sounds were the end results.

My Railroad or Railway is the Appalachian Mountain Railroad/Railway CO. When a Failed attempt to Merge all the Railroads running in the Appalachian Mountains
is Re-grouped and finally works, Forming the Appalachian Mountain RR/Rwy CO. The Company took over a lot of Norfolk Southern And CSX Transportation Trackage
And even rebuilt some LONG gone Railroads, Among them, The Tallulah Falls RR. The Appalachian Mountain RR/Rwy Company didn't bother to come up with a
Standard Paint scheme or Livery, So they left the Paint Schemes on all the Equipment. The Passenger trains include the Mountain Flyer, The Local, Southern Limited,
And the 3 Sub Express. The Railroad is Broken up into 3 Sections; The Southern Sub/Section, The Middle Sub/Section, And the Northern Sub/Section,
Each able to support Electric Engines. The Main Power used is Steam and Diesel. The Few Electric Engines are Box cabs, and 1 or 2 Other Electric types.
The 2-8-0's Are the Shunting or Switching Engines and commonly seen pulling small Passenger Trains and some Freight trains. The Railroad also has some Great Northern (US) S-2 4-8-4 Northerns, Used on The larger Trains like the ones listed above. And some other Steam Locos too, Including the C&O K-4, C&O H8, UP Harriman 2-8-0 Consolidations. And Southern 4501, 4501 Pulls the Big Name trains Like the South To North or the North to South stopping in the Middle Section too.

Now I don't have much or any work done yet but will soon.

P.s. I don't know how to reskin nor do i have the tools to either.

-CEO steamdog1234

Another Update:
We have built a 4-track steam/diesel/passenger restoration shop located on the west end of the yard in Hazard, Kentucky on the East Kentucky Railway. Meanwhile, on the Clichfield Railway, we have turned the shops in Elkhorn into our heavy-repair/rebuild shops. We are planning on having several different locomotive on our roster go thru the shops in Elkhorn and get rebuilt into modern, better performing, more environmentally-friendly locomotives.

My railroad is the South Pocono Railway, operating from Palmerton, PA to Lehighton, PA. Motive Power consists of 3 engines. RBMN 1546 and NS 2213 are leased from their respective railroads and are both SW1500's, and an SW1200 numbered 8 is the SPR's only owned power. A few gondolas, boxcars, and 2 bay hoppers make up the rolling stock, with not more than 30. A few passenger cars are operated for ski-train service to Blue Mountain Ski resort in Palmerton, which also has trackage rights over NS to Allentown. A caboose is also owned as a mobile office and shoving platform. One of the main customers is an industrial park built about halfway along the line, with a transload silo, a Northern Propane unloading track, and a warehouse. Other customers include Industrial Vehicle & Equipment Obtainers, which has an unloading ramp by the side of the road, and a produce warehouse.

Here is the WIP logo:
South%20Pocono%20Railway%20Loco_zpsiznwpkmx.jpg

Hand-drawn in GIMP. I think I'll make it look more angular, reminiscent of the FEC Hurricane Logo or SP speed lettering.

Also, I forgot to add that the industrial park is called the Tagua Industrial Park and is what I'm modelling in real life.

I'm bored and procrastinating as usual so I'm just gonna give a logo suggestion, took like 15 minutes since I suck at digital art stuff but here's my rendition. feel free to use it as inspiration or whatever if ya want
d3c9e07682bf910526fc696e7991cc15.png

Anyways here's some usual SLRR garbage
25331811994_57a6401ba1_o.png

25822877411_ed840528eb_o.png

Cheers,
SM

Last edited:
The L&A picked ups a number of these Hudsons from the NYC after they were evolved in wrecks.They were brought back to the Levi shop and rebuilt and here we see one of them proudly pulling The Pim from Charleston S.C.

Dave

0b1d5ec2afd866b398fcb22180674098.jpg

e3bf24be363df773bc860b3f274d9b2e.jpg

cae7ef6f2c9c56d496484cd5feee6f34.jpg

We recently purchased the Yadkin Valley Railroad from shortline holding company Gulf and Ohio Railways. We kept the name Yadkin Valley Railroad and have started running excursions between Rural Hall, North Carolina, to Mount Airy, N.C. This train is named The Mayberry Express, which gets its name from the fictional small town of Mayberry, NC, where the classic comedy TV show The Andy Griffith Show took place; the main character, Andy Taylor, was played by actor Andy Griffith, whose hometown is Mount Airy, hence the name of the train. The locomotives for the tourist trains are one 2-8-0, a 2-8-2, two FP7s, and two GP9s. Passenger cars are a mix of open-air and air-conditioned coaches, dome car, and a commissary car. Turntables are located in Mount Airy and Rural Hall. The 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 take turns handling The Mayberry Express on weekends, while the diesels handle the train on weekdays. The Mayberry Express is made up of air-conditioned cars, open-air cars, dome car, and the commissary car. The FP7s run paired back-to-back whenever they pull The Mayberry Express also. We also run special Rural Hall to Winston-Salem, NC trains during the summer, called The Carolina Special, over trackage rights on Norfolk Southern from Rural Hall to Winston-Salem, where the train is turned on a wye. During the fall, we run the Rural Hall to Mount Airy Mount Airy Fall Special. The Carolina Special have only air-conditioned cars and the dome car and commissary car; meanwhile, the Mount Airy Fall Special have open-air cars and air-conditioned cars, along the dome car and commissary car. Both trains are usually powered by our 2-8-2 or the 2-8-0, though when pulling The Carolina Special, the 2-8-0 needs assistance from one of the GP9s or the FP7.

Last edited:
The New York And Dewey Beach is a railroad operation and holiding company extending from Washington DC, to Caraquet, NB, with float operations to Newfoundland and PEI and a few other operating divisions. The railroad was started in the late 1920s to provide a link between the Delaware coast and the metropolitan northeast, and grew over time, making it's way up and taking over Ex-NH lines in CT and NY, and having a lot of former NH rolling stock, including all 10 EP-5 motors. The railroad mainly operates regional passenger service at cheaper rates and to more places than amtrak, in addition to providing several terminal services along the NY waterfront and serving as a holding company for the Californa Northwestern railroad (Operating the route of the northwestern pacific) and being contracted by Abkazhia to operate the state rail line, formerly in shambles but receiving new aid and new-to-them locomotives gradually. The railroad operated it's passenger services with modified versions of essentially NYCTA R-17, R-16 and R-30 cars, modified somewhat like early CTA stock to be able to operate on EOH voltages. The railroad keeps a number of tidy 4400 "Washboard" cars in service running between GCT and Boston, in addition to using Arrow sets WOH. The railroad also uses very old NH EP-1 motors for switching. Most freight work is in the hands of C424/5, H-16-44 and RS-27 units, with larger work undertaken by a fleet of SD70s, SD45s and SD40s. Passenger trains are usually behind a F40, F45 or one of the railroads many passenger geeps, and electric service is undertaken by the 5 GG-1s, several AEM-7s and ALP-44s, and various new haven motors. The railroad has a couple of DM30AC units on duties out of Penn, and of course still uses FL-9s for dual-mode services too. The rest of the fleet is various early EMD power and a few later Geeps.

PJRy Steam in Santa Cruz?

The Point Jeyes Railyard Co. has purchased the Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay from the state and Iowa Pacific holdings. Expect to see autumn harvest disappear into Southern Green and Gold and D&RGW 'Rio Grande Gold'. Two new trains for passengers will be operated. The shorter train is the Coastline Limited behind one of PJRys Mikados or Berkshires. This train will operate with heavyweight stock from the 1920s and 1930s including a Jim Crow carriage and a parlour or observation carriage at the rear. The second train is the Santa Cruz Cannonball which will operate with ex-Shortline Holdings 8, a classic 4-4-0 from 1888 and open platform wooden carriages formerly used on the Santa Cruz and Big Trees trains with a classic Pullman Palace observation on the rear. Both trains will be turned on the wye at Santa Cruz and a turntable is being installed at the other end of the line. (Currently the berk and the mike are running the train 'top and tail'. Certain special trains in Saturday operate over Roaring Camp Railroads track via an agreement with RC&BT that allows both companies trackage rights over each other. Freight service will be provided as need calls for with either a 2-8-0 or 2-6-2 or for larger services, a 4-8-2. PJRy has also leased ex-LS&I 34/WM 734 following the expiration of its boiler ticket. PJRy will restore it in the state of the art shop and operate it for 5 years before returning it to WMSRSR for the remaining 10, with an option to lease it for more if 1309 is a hit and pulls most trains by then. The owners (myself included) have just arrived back from their English Railway (where trackage was extended through a purchase from Genesee and Wyoming England).

-CEO Jacob

Last edited:
Time to go back to the 1950s. . .

The Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis (CC&StL) was founded in the early 20th century and forms an 'X' shaped route, serving the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri.
The north-south route starts at Chicago, Illinois and heads southeast, passing thru Bernice, IL, La Crosse, IN, Winamac, IN, Logansport, IN, Bringhurst, IN, Frankfort, IN, Lebanon, IN, and Davis, Indiana. From here it joins the east-west route and heads east to Indianapolis, Indiana, then Richmond, IN. In Richmond, the east-west route splits off and heads on east, while the north-south route turns again southeast, entering Ohio and passing thru Evendale, OH, Norward, OH, Clare, OH, and ending in Cincinnati, Ohio. The east-west route starts in Cleveland, Ohio, and heads southwest to Bellevue, OH. There it turns due south to Crestline, OH, then turning southwest to Columbus, Ohio. The route then turns west, heading thru London, Ohio, Xenia, OH, Clement, OH, Dayton, OH, and New Paris, Ohio, before entering Indiana. Upon entering Indiana, the line turns southwest to Richmond, Indiana, where it joins the north-south route. The two routes continue west to Indianapolis, IN, then Davis, Indiana. There the north-south route splits off to the north, while the east-west route continues west thru Greencastle, Indiana, Knightsville, IN, Terre Haute, Indiana, then on into Illinois. Upon entering Illinois it passes thru Farrington, IL, then turning southwest thru Effingham, IL, Vandalia, IL, and East St. Louis, Illinois. There the tracks cross the Mississippi River into St. Louis, Missouri.
The CC&StL operates four named passenger trains, the daytime all-coach Chicago-Cincinnati Heartland Express the nighttime Chicago-Cincinnati Pullman Midnight Special, the daytime all-coach Cleveland-St. Louis St. Louis Express, and the nighttime Cleveland-St. Louis Pullman Midnight Train. The schedules of the southbound Heartland Express and the westbound St. Louis Express are set up so that they pass thru Indianapolis within an hour of each other. The schedules of the northbound Heartland Express and eastbound St. Louis Express are set up the same way. The same thing can be said about the nighttime southbound Midnight Special and westbound Midnight Train, along with the northbound Midnight Special and eastbound Midnight Train. Slower local passenger trains on both the mainline and branch lines, are only given numbers instead of names. The named passenger trains are normally pulled by the railroads fleet of 4-6-4 Hudsons, with 4-6-2 pacifics handling secondary mainline passenger trains, with 4-6-0s handling branch line passenger trains.
As for freight trains, the hot freight trains are pulled by 2-8-4s, while local mainline freights are handled by 2-8-2s, drag freights handled by low-drivered 2-10-2s, with branch line freights pulled by 2-8-0s.

The Levere County Railroad was active in Indiana in the late 70's to the late 80's. It had an interchange with Conrail on the east end at the county seat of Levere, and an interchange with N&W on the west end at Elktown. A few towns are along the line, in order from East to West they are Levere, Effort, Lockhunt, Colerose, Landell, and Elktown. The primary traffic is grain, with ATSF, ICG, and other western cars coming off the N&W, and northeastern and southern cars like Conrail and SOU coming off CR. The motive power consists of 4 engines. 48 is an ex-CR nee-EL C425, 47 and 46 are ex-CP RS18's, and 45 is an ex-NW GP35. Here are some pictures of the line and power. (I am making this a fictional prototype model of a prototypical line.)

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-01%20at%201.02.10%20PM_zpsi2xww09c.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%203.15.40%20PM_zpscw3ve131.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%203.15.50%20PM_zpsras3hop1.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%203.01.05%20PM_zpsdqkrluyt.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%203.13.23%20PM_zpsf102dn5f.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-04-30%20at%202.40.30%20PM_zpsykfjucxx.png

I didn't come up with this, but I am working on the Allegheny and West Virginia Railroad (from the movie Unstoppable).

AWVR 777 rounds the Stanton Curve in what could well be the worst disaster in the history of PA...

1206 hauls a freight over the river towards Stanton.

Back