Trees, trees, trees . . .

srude

Howdy;

To tell the truth, I never paid much attention to trees and bushes until I got into content creation. Neither trees nor bushes are easy to make and there is, the old way of using crossed panels and there is the new way, which nobody seems able to do at reasonable effort expenditure.

Forgive the transgression, but, in Rail Simulator, they use view-aligned trees, which looks just fine until you get above the treetops and see a bunch of flat panels. In creating routes, sometimes I have high peaks and when viewing the route from that elevation, I can see all the stuff that studs the landscape, below. View-align would be a detraction from reality. The old way of doing trees, at least maintain some shape when looked at from some height.

Nevertheless, can one use the view align method of tree-creation and apply to some version of Trainz? If so, I'd like to try it and wear big, lead boots so that I can't scale a slope and look down at my world.

Thanks for all inputs,

srude

:)

Treez, Treez, Treez.......

Perhaps Auran and N3VRF41L should just scrap this silly trains driving thing and work on a Treez Game.

People could:
.....Plant little treez
.....Water the little treez
.....Watch the little treez grow into big treez
.....Cut down the big treez
.....Couple the cut down big treez and drive the treez to the lumber yard
.....Watch the lumber yard convert the big cut down treez in to lumber

Sessions could be developed that could:
.....Allow game players to drive treez in LIMB or TRUNK Mode

I am sure other treez sessions can be created.

Auran and N3VRF41L could call the game: Treez2009 with SP2 included.

Come on Auran and N3VRF41L .... give the people what they want.....TREEZ!!:D

Have fun watching your Treez growing.

Aardvark,

Too bad Ed is no longer with us , I am certain he would have replied , either in a good way or bad way , but he would have replied ! :D :D

--- ,DLR

Tell us more about view-aligned things. Do you mean they kind of rotate to always face the direction you are viewing them from? If so, that would be horrible. But, I must admit I don't really know what view-aligned means so maybe you could explain it more.

Yes view aligned rotates the item to always face the viewer. This has been discussed before, and may be a good way to go, but it isnt implemented in Trainz yet.

Tell us more about view-aligned things. Do you mean they kind of rotate to always face the direction you are viewing them from? If so, that would be horrible. But, I must admit I don't really know what view-aligned means so maybe you could explain it more.

I think Speedtree does this so have a dig on their site. Quite a few games license it.

Cheerio John

Speedtree looks pretty nice, and I'd be willing to shell out a bit extra if it was incorporated into Trainz (as long as I could still build my own trees). I know nothing about how Auran makes such decisions, but somehow, I kinda doubt that's ever gonna happen...

I posted to the other message on flipboards, but this is perhaps a suggestion for a future product.

Why not have the ability to use geometry-based trees an objects closest to the railroad and in other areas where we feel that they are useful in that manner, yet be able to check a small box to have Surveyor or Driver convert these or objects to flipboards when needed.

Digital Element does this with their WorldBuilder product. www.digi-element.com

I've used this to speed up the rendering process when I wanted to use the higher-resolution trees instead of the fliboards built into the system because the higer-res trees looked better even when rendered as flipboards.

John

John

Last edited:
Perhaps Auran and N3VRF41L should just scrap this silly trains driving thing and work on a Treez Game.

People could:
.....Plant little treez
.....Water the little treez
.....Watch the little treez grow into big treez
.....Cut down the big treez
.....Couple the cut down big treez and drive the treez to the lumber yard
.....Watch the lumber yard convert the big cut down treez in to lumber

Sessions could be developed that could:
.....Allow game players to drive treez in LIMB or TRUNK Mode

I am sure other treez sessions can be created.

Auran and N3VRF41L could call the game: Treez2009 with SP2 included.

Come on Auran and N3VRF41L .... give the people what they want.....TREEZ!!:D

Have fun watching your Treez growing.

...ROFL...
:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Absolutely amazing, so bookmarked and saved. :udrool:

Cheers,
Adam

it would not be horrible, just look at Gothic3 to name one game on top of my head that everybody claimed "looking good".

The question is: would ppl be willing to pay Auran or a 3rd party to make trees NOW? Because its only a question of money, for Auran and others.

On the other hand, one would expect Auran to deliver a finished product including working vegetation. Most ppl will wait for Aurans next Trainz product (Addon or TS09EE or TSX) to solve the problem.

Back