Snohomish Rail

evan123

Not really based off of the rail running through modern day Snohomish Washington, much of this route is fictional. With one board fully complete, I move onto expand the length. One board at a time.

Screenshots of the newly completed board:
(Switching yard, dockyard, fertilizer, grain, and more)

evan123_20090713_0008.jpg

evan123_20090713_0007.jpg

evan123_20090713_0006.jpg

evan123_20090713_0005.jpg

evan123_20090713_0004.jpg

evan123_20090713_0003.jpg

evan123_20090713_0002.jpg

evan123_20090713_0001.jpg

It does my heart good to see my little Illinois Terminal switcher puttering around on such a nice route! Thank you, you made my day!:)

I like it! I can see that you've put a lot of work into it and I like the atmosphere and depth you've put. The weeds and foliage are a great touch too. I think it'd be fun to switch too!

Keep up the great work!

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Thank you Euphod, Jim & Gisa.

I have nearly 2 boards completely finished. The last two screenies were part of a test session I did with the switcher to make sure there were no kinks in the rail and to find any errors. None found :)

I'm having a trouble trying to be creative, I guess I'll just keep laying rail down and figure something out. Stay tuned for more!

-Evan :)

I like it! I can see that you've put a lot of work into it and I like the atmosphere and depth you've put. The weeds and foliage are a great touch too. I think it'd be fun to switch too!

Keep up the great work!

Gisa ^^

Speaking of depth..check out the drop into the water off the portsides :p

Speaking of depth..check out the drop into the water off the portsides :p

Sharp eyes Sabertooth. :)

Evan123, may I offer two friendly suggestions to further improve what you have done? It's up to you if you'd like to do any of these (my opinion can most certainly be wrong) but they are worth considering.

First, as Sabertooth pointed out, the water is very very VERY deep for a port. I would recommend that you raise up the terrain from the bottom, maybe to say a depth of 10-20 meters. As far as I know in general, the shoreline naturally decreases to the shelf of the waterbody in question. It generally wont drop consistantly and significantly (and to construct it as such would be a huge financial undertaking). If they do manage to drop it, it wont be too deep (I could be wrong however but I think it would look better). They would only drop it to the minimum needed for a the biggest boat they plan on loading right? ;)

Secondly, your yard looks great but if I were you, I would reduce some of the switches to the same track. Most railways are looking to cut costs (especially when they are building) and won't duplicate two paths to the same track in a short space unless there is a specific reason (and even then! :hehe:). Does that make sense? If you look at the first picture in your last post, you'll see there is a cut of boxcars (or a short consist) on the 3rd track from the right. I think I can make out 3 switches leading to the 3rd track from the 4th and that would make them redundant (and expensive) to build and maintain. Plus, you'll save a bit on polys and it can be more challenging to navigate a yard when there are less opportunities to cross over.

If that last one made no sense, let me know and I'll show you in a picture what I mean.

Keep up the great work! I think this will be very interesting to drive on!

Gisa ^^

Gisa,

Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely tend to them. And you are SO right about the switches, after all, sometimes it can get very confusing!!

-Evan

My pleasure Evan. I'm not a routebuilding pro but I know a few things. :eek: My wife will say I know much less than that! :hehe:

May I suggest a few more while I'm on a roll (I'm not trying to criticize: just offering some constructive criticism [you are welcome to do so with me anytime!]).

1. Give the gated crossing you have some lights. :) I've never seen a gated crossing without them (but I could be wrong).
2. If you'd like, you can swap out the trucks from some of the boxcars and put in decent looking bogies (instead of the default Auran ones). Unless of course, you are focusing on frame rates.
3. You may want to swap the track for two reasons. The first being polys: when you build a yard too many tracks (that are high poly) can really hurt frame rates. The second is that, I am not 100% sure but those tracks look like they have concrete sleepers and those are very expensive as far as I know (and used sparingly) but it's up to you. I and several other trainzers might recommend the lp-wood track although there are many lower poly tracks out there: totally up to you!

Looking forward to your next batch of screenies!

Gisa ^^

A few more screenies. Adjust the "Drop off" for water, greatly increased the gradual decline of elevation. Added lights & X-ing booms for the crossings, and added + completed another board.

Looking good Evan123. :) I have one last suggestion for you and you can totally ignore this if you'd like (because it's your layout and how you want to run operations on it depends on you).

In your first picture, you have 2 tracks on the left, a bit of a space and 2 more tracks (and then a fence to the right with some more tracks). Looking at these left most three tracks near the end of the brick warehouse there are two crossovers that are parallel to each other. If you follow the 2nd track from the left in, there is another crossover going to the same track just below. You could take out the first crossover on the top left because you don't really need it (the train can just go down a bit and reach that second crossover below). You can also leave it too if you like (and if yard space is at a premium). My final 2 cents.

You are doing really well (I hope you will you show us some more pictures from your second board soon :) ) and I hope I'm not discouraging you in any way. These are just some friendly pointers (and hey, do things as you'd like because in the end, this route is for you and if you enjoy it immensely, then it's great :) ).

Gisa ^^

Ah thank you very much Gisa! You're right I definitely should do more to cut back on the amount of track, I would just like the switching yard to be very versatile in the way a switcher can move about.

Stay tuned for more! :)

Ah thank you very much Gisa! You're right I definitely should do more to cut back on the amount of track, I would just like the switching yard to be very versatile in the way a switcher can move about.

Stay tuned for more! :)

My pleasure. If you like lots of tracks like that, go right on ahead! Some people like a challenge when they have to sort but to each their own. As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I really like your first pic! Lots of trees and depth...that's hard to do and very time consuming. I assume those are the low poly trees (and if so very wise choice using them as you can't see lots of detail that far from the tracks anyhow).

Keep up the great work!

Gisa ^^

I really like your first pic! Lots of trees and depth...that's hard to do and very time consuming. I assume those are the low poly trees (and if so very wise choice using them as you can't see lots of detail that far from the tracks anyhow).

Yes they are low poly :)

On ground level, the route runs at about 20-25FPS for me.. which is fine. I'm on a gaming rig so the graphics cards usually run circles around games! :p

More screenshots to come! 8 boards fully completed!

Back