Little Known Narrow Gauge Steamers

Pictures... I remember!

I recall last year, I saw a picture of a Uintah 2-6-6-2T pulling a 30-some car freight up a grade in the 1930s.

c08c.jpg

This looks like a very good 30ng locomotive. Someone must kae her!

Fred

ET&WNC #7 was the only 0-8-0 built for narrow gauge. She did yard work in Johnson City most of the time. Some time during the 20s she made a trip to Cranberry, only once. The 828 2-8-0 that was assigned to replace her didn't work out so well. She was 2nd hand and was a poor steamer, and had a tendency to end up off the rails and onto the ground more often than not. #7 would have been reitred if 828 was a success. In 1933 the frame was replace since the shunting SG and NG cars had caused it to bend.
The last day of the engines service was September of 1938, she came out on the 14th of that month for flue renewal. They were renewed, but she never came back into service for the railroad. On June 10 1939, she was written of the company books, and scrapped quickly after that.

The Arrticulated would have been construced if the ET&WNC wasn't in such a harsh condtion in the Great Depression.

Rock On!
Dusten

Check out this site!, it has undocumented NG3 Steamers all over it!:cool:

http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour2.htm
Take the full tour and you'll see what I mean.:D

This includes:
#1, #2, & #3 (Mougul 2-6-0s)
#4, #5, & #6 (Consolodation 2-8-0s)
#7 (0-8-0)(also the largest narrow guage steam locomotive ever built and is the only 0-8-0 ever built for 36in tracks)
#8 & #9 (Ten-Wheeler 4-6-0s)
#s 10, 11, 12, & 14 (also 4-6-0s, but more modern)

and more!:udrool: :mop:

Ok I highly recomend "Along the ET&WNC Series" if you want to all about the ET&WNC.

#1 & #2 were 2-6-0s #3 was a c-16 2-8-0
you forgot about #28 a 2-6-0 from the K&E but ET&WNC purchased it.

I think #7 has been coverd well. "Largest NG engine of her time"

Rock On!
Dusten

Hey, I've been looking through this thread and I wonder which of all the locos mentioned here are 2ft gauge?

Back