Am I Heading The Wrong Direction?

I know that there are many folks out there with a much greater knowledge of the huge inventory of Trainz content available.

I am looking for two, three, or four lane roads that are (or can be set to be) one way traffic. I also need them to work well with available railroad grade crossings.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions!

OLD JOKE: A wife calls her elderly husband on his cell phone. He should be on his way home, and his wife knows that he usually takes the freeway.

Wife: "Honey, I called to warning you that a car is traveling the wrong way on the freeway and is causing a major mess."

Husband: "One car going the wrong way?!" "There are hundreds!"

Richard

Richard, as far as I know there may be 3 lane roads from the classics lineup. I am modeling cantilevers for FEC and CSX and may try to suit it with gray or dark grey road. I should be updating BNSF50's bridge cantilever idea with Harmon and Lincoln Industries models, much like those on the FEC.

I am still learning on modeling with GMAX and hope to actually get to the point of these splines. It's hard to get roads to be one way in Trainz.

Regards,
Tolga E.
Miami, FL :wave:

Richard, as far as I know there may be 3 lane roads from the classics lineup. I am modeling cantilevers for FEC and CSX and may try to suit it with gray or dark grey road. I should be updating BNSF50's bridge cantilever idea with Harmon and Lincoln Industries models, much like those on the FEC.

I am still learning on modeling with GMAX and hope to actually get to the point of these splines. It's hard to get roads to be one way in Trainz.

Regards,
Tolga E.
Miami, FL :wave:

I am excited by the work I see you doing in content creation. You know better than most what we are looking for in content for Florida railroads.

With all of the one way streets you can find in older cities, I am surprised that some expert spline content creator hasn't built a few versions of one way streets and crossing grades.

Now that I am including the SFCE trackage in my layout, I'm going to need a fleet of old sugar cane hoppers. That is going to be some custom work for sure.

Did I see new FEC locomotives in Trainz wearing Red, White, and blue? I need me some of those bad boys!

Richard

I am excited by the work I see you doing in content creation. You know better than most what we are looking for in content for Florida railroads.

With all of the one way streets you can find in older cities, I am surprised that some expert spline content creator hasn't built a few versions of one way streets and crossing grades.

Now that I am including the SFCE trackage in my layout, I'm going to need a fleet of old sugar cane hoppers. That is going to be some custom work for sure.

Did I see new FEC locomotives in Trainz wearing Red, White, and blue? I need me some of those bad boys!

Richard

Richard,

Thank you for the compliment! :) I made some, and have much more to do!

Damian's been working on those but still needs permission from Frank to further these out. I told him what to fix and he mostly calibrated it, only thing we're missing is the moving of the headlights to the center.

I just might get to the sugarcane stuff, but I can also help you out. Download GMAX and I'll teach you some of the tools like boolean, smooth, adding shapes and textures, etc.

GMAX is fun and I started from scratch and I got the basics of it.

Tolga

Richard,

I just might get to the sugarcane stuff, but I can also help you out. Download GMAX and I'll teach you some of the tools like boolean, smooth, adding shapes and textures, etc.

GMAX is fun and I started from scratch and I got the basics of it.

Tolga

Fortunately there is one basic design for the sugarcane cars; even though they have a huge fleet of them. Plus I took plenty of pictures of them when we toured US Sugar.

I would enjoy understanding GMAX, although I may not master it as quickly as you do.

It's not just a matter of available time.

From meeting you in person, I believe that there will be very few things in life that you will not be able to understand and master.

Richard

Fortunately there is one basic design for the sugarcane cars; even though they have a huge fleet of them. Plus I took plenty of pictures of them when we toured US Sugar.

I would enjoy understanding GMAX, although I may not master it as quickly as you do.

It's not just a matter of available time.

From meeting you in person, I believe that there will be very few things in life that you will not be able to understand and master.

Richard

Richard,

I'll need the measurements of that car, really that will determine the representation in TRS.

I might give a shot a little later at the 3 to 4 lane road since that is the original question ;)

Regards,
Tolga E.
Miami, FL

I'm sorry to interrupt but this will be a quick question: are there single-lane, single direction splines available anywhere? This would be useful or at least as a temporary measure until someone creates multi-lane highway splines capable of traffic of multiple lanes in the same direction.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

I'm sorry to interrupt but this will be a quick question: are there single-lane, single direction splines available anywhere? This would be useful or at least as a temporary measure until someone creates multi-lane highway splines capable of traffic of multiple lanes in the same direction.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

YARN: 1L Ramps available. Function 1 way unless 2 way splines are placed.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

That is an interesting suggestion. I believe there are ramps available for building freeway entrances & exits, but I'm not sure how well they might work with existing grade crossings, either alone or in groups.

I appreciate the thought process.

I'm still a bit surprised that with the large number of one way streets in older cities that this has not already been addressed.

Many Thanks;

Richard

Actually, Auran has already provided all of us with this one-lane-one-direction road spline solution - but with sidewalks (TRS06/09 built-in, not sure about others). If a talented content creator could edit the mesh and leave only the traffic path, the route building community would have taken another step towards immersive realism.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

If a talented content creator could edit the mesh and leave only the traffic path, the route building community would have taken another step towards immersive realism.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Well said!

It is also important to have one way crossing grades to work with them properly.

I am amazed many times at the talent that is out there, and I bet someone already knows how to solve this issue.

Richard

Richard,

I'll try to get the one way MESHES started by the weekend.

Should contain 2, 3, 4, and 5 lane options. I'll try to get crossing equipment adjusted to those too by next weekend.

If you look at my thread and you see the three lane cantilevers and the possibility of highways, you'll probably agree. :)

BTW: Added new screens.

Regards,
Tolga E.
Miami, FL

Richard,

I do have some good news.

On the evening of Friday I did find time to work on the 3 lane road.

I don't know if this is clear, as I just took this shot on TOE (Trainz object Explorer)

Now I don't know how to form this into a spline. I tried the asset-filename way and it doesn't help. I would need some help, I searched, and I found a thread asking for the tutorial and someone guided him, I'm evaluating that. If it doesn't work for TS 2009 then I'll further the question to experts here.

road.jpg

Regards,
Tolga E.
Miami, FL

Impressive!

Looks like you're already deep in to it. Good Luck!

I hope that it will work in both 2006 and 2009. I am finishing FEC 2020 in 2006, and then upgrading it to 2009 so people with older computers can still enjoy it.

Do you already have a three lane grade crossing that you might modify to work together?

I'll be out there getting some trackside photos. I hope they help.

Richard

Very nice!

I admit I don't fully understand the process, so take this suggestion for what it is worth.

Perhaps your road image should be your current image combined with a mirror of itself, so that both edges match. That way, the road can have texture, along with a clean transition to next image.

Just guessing.

Richard

Very nice!

I admit I don't fully understand the process, so take this suggestion for what it is worth.

Perhaps your road image should be your current image combined with a mirror of itself, so that both edges match. That way, the road can have texture, along with a clean transition to next image.

Just guessing.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks!

Once I get the asset fixed I might be interested in emailing you the file so you can have a look at it.

I'm off to fix the texture now.

Tolga

I thought I did what you advised but it came out this way, maybe it's right or maybe it's wrong...

The roadpiece was split in two so that one side would be vert-flipped from the other.

The spline did close up...

brickbuilder711_20090418_0008.jpg

Back