Am I Heading The Wrong Direction?

Richard,

Thanks!

Didn't catch this one at first.

The Trainz build is ACTUALLY 2.6! That way it won't be faulty because of old properties, like some categories which turned "obsolete" when it was build 2.9.

Thanks for the trackside photography!

I have a three lane cantilever, I am actually considering making the lights function under a future evolution of ATLS and the gates, I might ask bnsf50 to make the gates to the point there's just a gate mast and a strip of track. I'll make the concrete grades as a trackside object to be placed on the track via the category adjacent to track splines and use traffic stoppers to control the traffic.

Tolga

Impressive!

Looks like you're already deep in to it. Good Luck!

I hope that it will work in both 2006 and 2009. I am finishing FEC 2020 in 2006, and then upgrading it to 2009 so people with older computers can still enjoy it.

Do you already have a three lane grade crossing that you might modify to work together?

I'll be out there getting some trackside photos. I hope they help.

Richard

The images made it a little difficult to see, so I not sure if you understood what I was suggesting.

I believe a spline works by both stretching and repeating an image. A simple road image with a flat color plus strips along the direction of the spline works great as it repeats the pattern.

But to add true life textures to a spine image often means that one edge (along the direction of the spine) doesn't match the opposite edge. This can make the spline appear choppy.

By combining an image to its mirror image along the direction of the spine prevents the spline from appearing choppy.

The texture pattern will repeat again and again, but the pattern transition will appear smooth.

Richard

G'day brickbuilder711,

I cannot see from your later images but if you are concerned about the 'gap' between the spline ends, this is caused by the actual length of the Gmax mesh NOT matching the stated length of the spline in the asset's config.txt file. These two measurements must be identical (to the 'mm'), otherwise, the observed effect is evident...

Jerker {:)}

G'day brickbuilder711,

I cannot see from your later images but if you are concerned about the 'gap' between the spline ends, this is caused by the actual length of the Gmax mesh NOT matching the stated length of the spline in the asset's config.txt file. These two measurements must be identical (to the 'mm'), otherwise, the observed effect is evident...

I updated the mesh and the dimensions and it works, it is far smoother because I put the vertical flip image with it to make a reverse effect.

Here's a better image, I think the effects work well.
Look carefully at the spline box to tell it.
brickbuilder711_20090419_0000-1.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear a great idea has been brought alive, and that highway is looking really nice. Please don't forget the invisible one/two single-direction splines, they can be useful in more ways than I can count off the top of my head. Also, may I suggest a 'softer' texture for the highway to avoid too much texture repetition (the LP series and BNSF50's are fine examples), and a dark region in the center of the lane for the oil left behind by vehicles.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Last edited:
The spine is really strarting to look great!

I agree that the texture should always be subdued a bit more than you might assume at first.

While downloading manhole covers to add to the roads, I remember seeing puddles that can be laid on road spines as well as lines and crossing grade warning markings.

Perhaps the actual spline textures of the roads of the future will have subdued textures running "against the grain" of the spline to reduce noticable patterns; and such features such as potholes or new patches of asphalt will be content that can be added at random.

I am looking forward to trying out your whole one way collection.

Richard

The spine is really strarting to look great!

I agree that the texture should always be subdued a bit more than you might assume at first.

While downloading manhole covers to add to the roads, I remember seeing puddles that can be laid on road spines as well as lines and crossing grade warning markings.

Perhaps the actual spline textures of the roads of the future will have subdued textures running "against the grain" of the spline to reduce noticable patterns; and such features such as potholes or new patches of asphalt will be content that can be added at random.

I am looking forward to trying out your whole one way collection.

Richard

Thanks;

As someone said I may be making separate shapes in that I can adhere to details like the center of the lane being darker.

It's a lot better for puddles, potholes, patches of pavement, etc. to be added at the end user's liking. That way it'd look more random.

G'day brickbuilder711,

Actually the length tag in the config should be 1% longer than the mesh due to a bug introduced in TRS04.

If this is an asset for TC1/2 onwards it is possible to make it automatically a one-way multi lane spline. For versions prior to that it has to be fudged...

Looks good by the way!

Paul

Back