Is anyone aware of this?

hey leave Thomas alone its those dam yanks who are now ruining it with locos never in the original books, in any case who made the most powerful 4-4-0? oh yes the Southern Railway with its Schools Class, no offence but this project is like the one here to build a county 4-4-0 a bit pointless with regards to mainline operation a Niagara class would be better as mentioned before, like the County 4-6-0 would be better here

That is an argueable subject. And no I do not believe because it is British it is better:n: because I for one think they are no offense, ugly. No headlights they all look the same, boring.

:hehe: I think you should get a book or 2 about British steam, if you can't see the difference between a "GWR King" or "Castle" & a "Peppercorn A1" or a "Princess Coronation", then you are very poorly educated about British steam locomotives. :D

hey leave Thomas alone its those dam yanks who are now ruining it with locos never in the original books, in any case who made the most powerful 4-4-0? oh yes the Southern Railway with its Schools Class, no offence but this project is like the one here to build a county 4-4-0 a bit pointless with regards to mainline operation a Niagara class would be better as mentioned before, like the County 4-6-0 would be better here

I personally like the new locos. Those particular yanks are ruining it not by adding locos that weren't in the books, but by making stories that are not based on those of the books! I would like to see them go back to making stories based on the books, while still fitting in the new engines.

As for most powerful 4-4-0? I'm not sure which is most powerful, but I think I can narrow it down to more modern and heavy ones. Such as the Stone Mountain no. 60, and PRR 1223, they look pretty strong. The General had pulled a train in the 1880s of heavy Pullmans and considering it was built in the 1850's, it was sure quite powerful!

Last edited:

Well i agree that a mainline steamer wouldve been nice, personally id go for a Seaboard Air Line EM1 2-6-6-4 or something more classy like a Milwaukee F7 hudson or 4-4-2 atlantic but the problem in the US is that we do not have open access railroad like in the UK, and the amount of steam allowed on the mains by class 1's is constantly decreasing, so we are pretty much stuck to running on preserved lines and few of ours come close to rivaling the likes of the Mid-Hants, Great Central and Severn Valley railway. Britain has definetly done a better job with preservation and Tornado is just further proof of that dedication.

I find it somewhat offensive when you "Brits" call us "Yanks".
Perhaps some of your loco's are nice...but by far our's are better...but a good point is you guys live there and are used to your stuff...I live hear, and like my stuff...Germans live in Germany, they like their stuff...Chinese live in China...you get the point. So now I believe it is settled.
Cheers!!!:Y:

I think it was settled when Mallard took the world speed record for steam traction on rail. The record was set on the 3rd July 1938 when the locomotive was recorded travelling at 126 mph
And it's still the record holder. :D

Yes, I too find it worthwhile to get angry and nationalistic about our respective nations' transportation systems 70 years ago.

Seriously folks, get some perspective.

I think it was settled when Mallard took the world speed record for steam traction on rail. The record was set on the 3rd July 1938 when the locomotive was recorded travelling at 126 mph
And it's still the record holder. :D

May I refute this point by telling you all that the German DRG 05 002 was the fastest Steamengine on record making a record run of 200.4 km/h (124.5mph) on 11th May 1936.

Look at the following link for more details. It makes interresting reading and carefully compares the Recordruns of DRG 05 002 and LNER Mallard. It looks to me as if the English did't played nice when it came to keeping good recordkeeping. Probably they were a bit put of by Nazi Germany having a faster loco. You can say what you want but those Germans definitly knew how the build steamengines in the late 30's. If they weren't so focused in making war they might even have build more of these beauties.

http://www.germansteam.co.uk/FastestLoco/fastestloco.html

Well as far as I know, america holds the record for the largest locomotive.
Oh and by the way, america first came up with the idea of bells on engines.

Just one thing tho, is that series Extreme Trains (which is being shown on History over here at the moment) aimed at 5 year olds, I wanted to lean more about US practice but found out that I already know more than the presenter it seems (next time pick someone with some brains) that is one thing we can do better, just watch Mark Williams on the Rails for some great facts on US and UK rail because we make presenters do some RESEARCH. I never thourt I'd ever feel cheated by a TV programme till now.

Andy

Back