In light of what happened today on the forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmdrake

Trainz Creator since 2001
In light of what happened today on the forum I think that Auran is going to have to reevaluate their target audience. If obscene and racially offensive postings are going to be allowed to remain in full view for HOURS, then children should be restricted to access while the MODS are awake, logged and present. It's pitiful that a sociopathic hacker has been able to ruin this forum for several of it's valued members. If Auran is unable to prevent this null from attacking the forum than perhaps they should restrict it's use to adults.

Dave

Basically some idiot is able to access the forum and post VERY offensive posting and one was directed to Angelah and her chosen religion.

I must agree Dave, this can't keep going on! Have never seen pictures like that today on the forum before,and I hope it is the last time.
The result was this:

angelah.gif

Petter :(

Totally agree Dave.

There's a few questions that need to be asked.
Some concerning the individual in question, and some concerning these forums in general.

• Can Auran locate this individual via his IP and then his ISP, so they can contact his parents/guardian, if he's as young as he sounds?
  • Will Tony implement the idea he had of allowing forum posting to only those that have registered serial numbers, and in doing so, be able to ban serial numbers from posting (meaning he would have to buy a new game from Auran each time he wanted to reappear as someone else)?
  • Are the Mods on this forum still active? If not, then they should move over and let people with more time on their hands take over (not me, before you ask).
  • What do Auran staff shortages have to do with forum moderation? Some people have used staff shortages as an excuse as to why those posts were left visible for so long, but that only explains why Auran staff haven't been able to do something about it. Why haven't the moderators shut it down?
Auran need their moderators to be from as many different time zones as possible, allowing greater monitoring of the forums at all times of the day.

I haven't checked where the moderators are from, but if there are too many from the same country or time zone, then it's a waste of resources.

Smiley.

I totally agree and think what happened today is a disgrace. I'm sure that I speak for most of the community in extending our regrets to Angela for what happened today and hope that she still considers us her friends. I reported those posts and if there was anything else that I could have done, I would have.
Mike

agreed we need more mods from differn't parts of the globe. whats the sense if everymod on here is from aus or UK. we need mods on here 24/7.

Last edited:
Man, I really feel sorry for Angelah. She was a great trainzer and I'm sure we'll all miss her. I have always disliked hackers, and it seems as if more and more have come across the internet's forums and ruined them.

Smiley -

Some very good points in your post , and Auran needs to take quick action .
The simplest solution to me is temporarily block anyone without a valid serial number . Apologize to those who have not purchased a copy of Trainz for not being allowed to access the Forum . And then work on a forum page for non-members to ask questions concerning the good and bad of purchasing Trainz . This protects the current Forum members first and then deals with prospective members rather than vice-versa !

Lokdriver -

Why would you make this post concerning Angelah , when we all realize it
is an invitation for the next attack to be directed at her here ? Could you possibly delete it ?

My Thoughts ---,DLR

I missed the scurrilous post so cannot comment on it. What I can say is that I have read and enjoyed many posts from Angela and gained much from them. It would be a great loss if she withdrew from this forum because of what some Bozo posted. But that is selfish.

With no authority to do so I would nevertheless say to her that she should not forego a pleasurable part of life because of what some nullity does. It is obvious from what her friends have posted that she is in high esteem and greatly valued by her associates. The loonies just go into the trash can and can do no harm unless you let them.

Just my two cents.

A pachyderm who's needed the hide, but never here,
Bernie

Last edited:
So what are you waiting for, Auran? As the owners of these fora, the buck, as they say, stops here. You need to act before more good people decide that this is not a place they want to be any more. You've got a great game but unless things change, we will only be able to say that you had a great forum too.
:(

Lokdriver -
Why would you make this post concerning Angelah , when we all realize it
is an invitation for the next attack to be directed at her here ? Could you possibly delete it ?

My Thoughts ---,DLR

Hi deeelare!
My intention to this was only to show members who missed it, the result!

And any moderator here are free to delete this post!!!

Petter;)

...where's the buck?

:cool: I am sorry to read Angelah was insulted...there is no excuse for that!

However I'm grieving about rejections of TS2009 before the product is even released!

I have found that there is no ability to restrict anyone from hacking into anything...just stop reading, do not deal with the person...report to a moderator & go on Further to the next thread...

Last edited:
Perhaps a few more people with power to hide or delete posts and suspend accounts for blatant misbehavior?

They need not be "full" moderators but could act more quickly if a post was reported in urgent need of attention.

An alternative is to fall back on the legal position, there are restrictions on what can be published and writing in the forum is a form of publishing.

Cheerio John

Perhaps a requirement that profiles are fully completed would be a start, something I have been posting about recently. Why let supposed members join and make posts when they quite simply hide behind a username. A user name means nothing and invites the trouble-maker. If nobody knows who they are, then what have they got to loose. Force anyone joining to commit to who they are. It works else-where...........
Many Forums of which I am a member do this quite simply and call on all members to identify themselves.......with proper details.
Allowing members to say stuff like, 'from planet pluto' is just inviting trouble, and that is exactly what we are getting. I've been here since the original Trainz days so do have some idea what I am speaking about.
Let's tighten up the membership - we'll all benefit.

My best wishes to 'Angelah', a major, major contributor to this site and the last member of this site to deserve such treatment.

Regards,

Ian

The one Lady who gave me a great deal of inspiration has left us. Angela if you are reading our posts I pray that you can see how many of your Friends are already missing you. You are a great asset to the forums, and your creations are wondrous. Think about what John would have liked you to do.

Let your "Spirit Guide" guide you in the right direction. I for one will be praying for you to choose wisely. Take a few days off and meditate to calm your inner self, and don't let this lowlife trouble your thoughts.

Prayers and wishes for you good health.

Dave.

All I can say is wow. I know that we all have our different beliefs, cultures, ways of life, etc. Thats what makes a community more interesting, but seriously, this is Trainz, its a simulator game. Its supposed to be fun. Ever since the internet evolved, we've had to adapt to the "global" lifestyle, because we interact with people from many diverse backgrounds. More than ever before. I guess it can be considered a form of globalisation. It doesnt hurt to take a break though, but don't leave for good. Its too hard to anyways! It gives you a bit more freedom to create content without checking in with the community.

We're thinking 'bout you Angela,
Isaac

Last edited:
I totally missed this attack but hope you come back Angelah, you are a great person and a absolute pleasure to speak with!

Best Regards,

Lorin

Last edited:
Right... uhm... Angelah...

Isn't leaving the forums just letting the guy win?

Angelah, please, come back to the forums and kick his butt from here to Timbuktu and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back