In light of what happened today on the forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys.

The Internet and the discussion forum systems are great to exchange ideas, opinions and even different cultural points of view. That's the theory.

But practice proves different. Speaking from my own forum admin experience, masked under the anonymity shadow, some people think that everything is (and can be) allowed on forums, even abusing, insulting, mocking or despising (or even questioning someone's professional skill). I've been through all of that patiently until my legitimate pride and anger exploded. And the serious self-explaining side of it is that they wouldn't even dare to tell you the same if being in front of you. Dark cowardly anonymity is intrepid, too intrepid.

If you take any legitimate countermeasure, you are labelled to be a censor, a dictator and insulting increases up to legal and police attention levels. :confused: And the cruelty of this is that you are being insulted at home, your own forum, most of times funded by you. Hospitality is great, self-stupidity isn't. ;)

Since a long time ago, I have learnt from practice that one mustn't confuse freedom of speech with freedom of (trying) to smash others from the dark cowardly distance of the Internet System. If someone wants to do so, please, come closer and let's discuss it at my response reach. Maybe words would be hypocritically different. ;)

My respect and understanding to all people who has been insulted on forums. I know how they feel.

The countermeasuring side of Alberte :wave:

Last edited:
Okay, these days on the Internet, I have seen more and more attacks on users and staff. Now, as Lloyd said, just put that image into a thread if it offends you or anything. I do not like seeing flame wars and attacks on users and all that. No one enjoys it aside from the user that did it, and everyone wants it to stop immediately so that things can return to normal. This community has faced many troubles for all these years, and no one liked it. I do not like seeing this type of behavior in forums/ chat rooms, and I'm sure no one else likes it.

Iced8383

Okay, these days on the Internet, I have seen more and more attacks on users and staff. Now, as Lloyd said, just put that image into a thread if it offends you or anything. I do not like seeing flame wars and attacks on users and all that. No one enjoys it aside from the user that did it, and everyone wants it to stop immediately so that things can return to normal. This community has faced many troubles for all these years, and no one liked it. I do not like seeing this type of behavior in forums/ chat rooms, and I'm sure no one else likes it.

Iced8383
Thank you. Want to make a vigilante group?:hehe:(jk)

We will definitely explore all the options. Adding more moderators is a possible solution (although there is also a potential backlash from users who then feel overly moderated).
Yes, backlash, plus the volunteers get to bear the brunt when something happens. It is probably better to be more pro-active:
Serial numbers are an option, but they won't be implemented this week.
Just make all fora registered only. Then create a new one, "Inquiries from unregistered users". Make Screenshots RO for unregistered if possible (it is one of the better ways to spread the word).
We will also look at /ignore functionality which works well in chat rooms so why not forums?
Requires too much action from the user, plus it isn't pro-active.

Gerard Stafleu

Yes, backlash, plus the volunteers get to bear the brunt when something happens. It is probably better to be more pro-active:
Just make all fora registered only. Then create a new one, "Inquiries from unregistered users". Make Screenshots RO for unregistered if possible (it is one of the better ways to spread the word).
Requires too much action from the user, plus it isn't pro-active.

Gerard Stafleu
I would recommend a slight change to this: make all forums read-only ro unregistered users, then when they register they get full access. And also create the "inquiries" area.

I'd find it hard to imagine anyone ever being bad to you Alberti, you must be one of the most popular supportive members of the community :D

I expect to see a lot of people ranting and taking out aggression on others theses days, after all we are witnessing first hand the failure of capitalism :D

Anyway, I missed all the commotion, so someone send me a PM and fill me in.

Iced8383

Thank you. Want to make a vigilante group?:hehe:(jk)

That's a first.

threadreportedcz4.gif

I've locked this thread. As i have said elsewhere, we appreciate your feedback and we'll implement new measures to combat the antisocial posters.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back