UK Screenshots (Hi Res Version)

Looking south from the St Rollox Drive overbridge.

52930106521_5346c39267_h.jpg

Nice shots there Nicola86.

Looking north from Keppochhill Drive.

52947933281_9f0d52f0dc_h.jpg

The view from St Rollox Drive overbridge.

52947933261_f3b8dddecb_h.jpg

Thank you pfx! Being a photographer by passion "in real life", it helps a lot; to be picky, in the second picture I got the wrong side but I really like the place with the two bridges.

The tortoise and the hare. A stopping service from Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Queen Street takes the long way round as it passes under the direct line where an Edinburgh bound push/pull service has just passed.

52966993208_4243d541d4_h.jpg

Hi all,

I'm sure Gary won't mind me posting - a new version of the class 08 that has been in the works for a while, the Eastleigh Works shunter as preserved at Swanage. In reality this shunter (08642) was scrapped as recently as 2006 but the railway have repainted one of their 08s, 08436, in the same livery to evoke nostalgia and preserve an interesting piece of history. With the LSWR crest on the side, it is an eye catching livery that is quite different to the BR green, black or blue liveries that are the norm. Thanks Gary!

Here, 08436 (D3551) is seen shunting at Swanage in the early evening.

tXSKa7X.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

Croy station is approaching something near complete. Just a few more bits of platform furniture to go in.

53009176115_2c903395d7_h.jpg

Here's the 'problematic' blue class 42 I'm discussing with Annie over on the pre-BR blue screenshots thread. No nameplates and look at the texture conflict for the BR logo after a certain distance. Is it really worth $19.99? (I get it free as part of my Gold subscription, but if I'd paid for it I wouldn't be happy.)

53020042206_bfe6befe4a_h.jpg

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Is it something in your settings? I saw your above picture and as I hadn't noticed it before I placed both the clean and weathered version on Swanage and I'm not seeing it on my end, and it looks as if I'm viewing it from a further distance. The nameplate is still an issue obviously, but there aren't any shadows under the arrow.

o0l0zbH.jpg

**EDIT** I stand corrected; while the above image doesn't have a shadow, rotating the loco shows that it appears on the other side, but not on this side showing. Rotate the loco and the shadow disappears but then appears on the opposite side! Very odd.

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
Here's the 'problematic' blue class 42 I'm discussing with Annie over on the pre-BR blue screenshots thread. No nameplates and look at the texture conflict for the BR logo after a certain distance. Is it really worth $19.99? (I get it free as part of my Gold subscription, but if I'd paid for it I wouldn't be happy.)

It's disappointing as the Class 42 project was initiated by a group of us at TCWW and the content creator was given a considerable amount of information about these locomotives. When the beta versions were released a detailed list of errors was given to the creator and then there was silence until we heard that the Class 42's had passed through N3V's DLC content approval system and were released as official DLC. I could make a snarky comment that whoever it was who approved these models was either sight impaired or had never seen a Class 42 before, but since I'm trying to be polite I won't.
My WR layout 'Ashington' is late 1950s BR green era so at least the Class 42's I'm running do have nameplates, it's just that one of them is off centre on one side of the loco. As for the way they run the ancient engine spec does them no favours. Stovepipe made an updated engine spec available only for some unknown reason it wasn't used.

Annie

Last edited:
I think you may have said it in any case... it's a shame though, it is a lovely model but oversights like this do let it down. Let's hope the creator has paid attention and offer N3V an update.

As for the espec, I can't say I'm too surprised with this - 2995valliant has produced a number of realistic especs for realistic running, yet quite a few users still seem happy to use outdated especs produced using inaccurate spreadsheets that give no resemblance to the locomotive's performance IRL.

I had quite a bit of back and forth communication with a forum member a year or so ago with regards to a new model that was being produced in an attempt to convince them to use one of valliant's especs. The reason being the alternative that was available was a marvellous work of fiction and, while working in DCC like a Hornby model, in CAB mode it was appalling. I don't think there are many people who use CAB mode so to that extent I can see why the creator went with the original as I doubt many would notice. You can of course change it by changing the enginespec in Surveyor but it has to be changed each time you place the loco down.

Likewise, samuelc33 has created some fantastic hornsounds for the Class 42 but these can't be changed unless you edit the config, which unfortunately is protected from editing as it is payware. It would be nice, if the model was updated to address the texture issues, if the new sounds and specs could be used to produce a realistic model but we'll have to wait and see. Gary kindly let me upload a different version of his recent BRML Class 08 for Swanage that uses a new enginesound and hornsound from the aforementioned author, and it is this version I have included in my sessions as it makes the overall driving experience that much more realistic.

Cheers,

PLP

I've got Pikkabird's old pre-yellow nose green Class 42 running on 'Ashington' with Stovepipe's new engine spec and what a difference it makes over the old engine spec it had before. If the new DLC Class 42's had this engine spec some of their faults might be forgiven a little, but as they are now they run like a bag of old spanners.

I'm afraid those old rubbish DCC only engines specs really annoy me. I like to drive from the cab and I want the engine I'm driving to function like the prototype, - not like some mythical 'little engine that could'. Valiant's especs are amazing pieces of work and make driving from the footplate a real pleasure.

Thanks for mentioning samuelc33's Class 42 hornsounds by the way, - I shall have to go and have look at those.

AEvK8Ns.jpg

The payware 42's are terrible. Worked on them many a time, on shed. The engine room bulkhead is all wrong for starters.

Sounds are iffy and the lack of nameplates on the blue livery, is a crazy oversight.

Nice piccies Annie, anyway.

Mike.

I've got a few of the newer DLC packs and the issue with the Mk1 BR blue/grey one is well documented. The HST's only fault I can see is the front and rear lights fail to illuminate correctly, despite being able to switch them individually in cab. Given they're payware, it isn't unreasonable to expect an update to fix these issues as seems to happen with The Other Sim.

Anyway, to keep it on topic, here's something more to Annie's taste. Not a diesel in sight. It is fictional before anyone points out glaring errors.

Cheers,
Innis

51183605159_8621184d23_h.jpg

Anyway, to keep it on topic, here's something more to Annie's taste. Not a diesel in sight. It is fictional before anyone points out glaring errors.

Cheers,
Innis [/QUOTE]

Oh yes very nice, that's a lot better :)

My late 50's WR layout is the only place I run diesels and then only a couple of Pikkabird's early spec Class 42's. Everything else is steam engines as is right and proper and the Great Western way.

Annie

Back