SP GS-4 Daylight 4449 loco

boots262

I downloaded this loco today, and after playing around with it managed to get it to work with Billegulla's enginespec (the 'boosted' one, KUID 81997:51441). I've also followed RPearson's excellent instructions to get it to work without changing the interior (here). The loco works fine in TRS2006.

I loaded it up with about 900 tons of carriages and tender. I figured it would have no problem - the MR Hudson and Australian VR S classes can pull 700 tons without an issue, quite quickly.

However, the GS-4 is slow as all hell! It barely accelerates off the line, and any sort of gradient sees it stop and roll back down, even at full boiler pressure! I ran it without the tender and it ran fine, but under any load at all it takes forever to speed up past a crawl, and tops out at about 30mph. Running with just the tender I managed to get it to 100mph after a long, long run.

I guess my question is: Is this normal for this loco, IE is it historical? If it is, this leads to the conclusion that the other locos mentioned aren't. The other possibility is that I screwed up somewhere, if so, what could it be?

GS4 should be able to pull a heavy consist, usually ran around 70mph with a lot of coaches. Should haul as much as those locos or more. I think its just something wrong with the original config. Hauls OK in DCC. Have tried using different engine configs, but won't work.
Cheers Will

Last edited:
:confused: The 4449 can go from 0-60 in about 5 minutes and the engins were clocked at 100 MPH and they are pretty strong engins without the booster they did have as much horse power as berkshire as so im told.

Last edited:
No offense intended; but comparing this model to the prototype is a useless endeavor. I am not familiar with it or it's engine file at all, but I recommend opening the file of a steamer that runs as you like, and copying the values from it.

Hi All: I've had trouble like this before and the only thing you can due is change the engine spec with a engine spec you like from a good running engine..

Need help with the 4449

I downloaded 4449 and it says the in the content manager Warning: Progressive meshes are no longer supported by Trainz. Though these meshes may work in Trainz, it is recommended that you switch to a LOD mesh.
Warning: Progressive meshes are no longer supported by Trainz. Though these meshes may work in Trainz, it is recommended that you switch to a LOD mesh.
Warning: Progressive meshes are no longer supported by Trainz. Though these meshes may work in Trainz, it is recommended that you switch to a LOD mesh.
Error: Unable to load mesh file: 'SP_ClassGS-4_Mid8_shadow\SP_ClassGS-4_Mid8_shadow.pm'.Can you help.

Southern Pacific 4449 Tribute - YouTube - YouTube ...

Last edited:
I downloaded 4449 and it says the in the content manager Warning: Progressive meshes are no longer supported by Trainz. Though these meshes may work in Trainz, it is recommended that you switch to a LOD mesh.
Error: Unable to load mesh file: 'SP_ClassGS-4_Mid8_shadow\SP_ClassGS-4_Mid8_shadow.pm'.Can you help.

Southern Pacific 4449 Tribute - YouTube - YouTube ...

Ignore the warnings. To fix the error, add a mesh table to the config.

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "sp_classgs-4_4_8_4_body/sp_classgs-4_4_8_4_body.pm"
auto-create 1
}
}

Save and commit.

G'day, I looked on the DLS but could not find this loco, CM3.3 says there is one but will not download it (shows up in RED).
Where can I get this loco?
Regards
Barrie

G'day, I looked on the DLS but could not find this loco, CM3.3 says there is one but will not download it (shows up in RED).
Where can I get this loco?
Regards
Barrie
Hi Barrie,

It's on the DLS, you have to have UTC and Trainz 1.3 ticked for it to show up.

G'day captainkman,
If it is the one by mrtrain I already have it but in CM3.3 there is one by gs4449 "SP GS-4 4449 Daylight<kuid:591356:1006>" and "SP GS-4 Tender Daylight<kuid:591356:100007>" they are build 2.9 but as I said they come up in red and will not download.
Oh well I guess CM has struck again.
Regards and thanks.
Barrie

G'day captainkman,
If it is the one by mrtrain I already have it but in CM3.3 there is one by gs4449 "SP GS-4 4449 Daylight<kuid:591356:1006>" and "SP GS-4 Tender Daylight<kuid:591356:100007>" they are build 2.9 but as I said they come up in red and will not download.
Oh well I guess CM has struck again.
Regards and thanks.
Barrie
That's actually Ben Neal's beta version theat GS4449 put on the DLS just so he could use it in a Multiplayer session.

Excuse me for going off-topic. :)

Back