Help a newbie !!

deeelare

#1-on members ignore list
Fellow Trainzers,

I just did something recently that I thought might be an idea for other veterans on the Forum to adopt ( considering the help desk is at this point in time, understaffed) ?
I noticed a Trainzer posting problems, that I could possibly solve, but on the Forum it was becoming a tedious postings problem (back and forth), and it appeared a problem that only needed one persons help ! I e-mailed this member and asked if he minded if I were to help resolve his problems by e-mail rather then on the Forum, he agreed .
We resolved his problems in a 24 hour span, he has stated he is very thankful, and I feel happy that I could assist him.
Just a thought, if it appears that you can help with a new members problems, maybe communicate via e-mail ?
You might establish an on-line freindship, at the least you will feel good inside !

My thoughts ---DLR

PS- this will not be seen by those that have me on their "ignore list"

Last edited:
You will also deprive other members of valuable information that they may be able to use. Let's keep this forum public.

CaseyJ - Help a newbie !!

I did not actually see your post !

Ed - If I find you have put me on your "ignore list", I will be leavening !!

---DLR

Edit - Jeez, thought I was posting something nice that could not be misinterputed ??

Last edited:
What? Hello...........?

That's it then......I'm all alone!

Ed:'(

Wilson? WILLLLSSON!

Damn !!

I come up with one idea in 4 years, that I believe is going to rock the Trainz Forum world, and I have been shot down in less than 2 hours !

I still feel happy that I was able to help one person by taking it outside the Forum to resolve his problems, and I know he is grateful .

I stand by my original post ---DLR

PS - my "ignore list" remains = (1)

deeelare,I always,do what you do,well not always,but if it doesn't pertain to the topic than I say yes,can we take this to IMs,or emails.Most agree,this is basiclly how Trainz Commuter Rail formed....

Damn !!

I come up with one idea in 4 years, that I believe is going to rock the Trainz Forum world, and I have been shot down in less than 2 hours !

I still feel happy that I was able to help one person by taking it outside the Forum to resolve his problems, and I know he is grateful .

You said "I noticed a Trainzer posting problems, that I could possibly solve, but on the Forum it was becoming a tedious postings problem (back and forth), and it appeared a problem that only needed one persons help ! I e-mailed this member and asked if he minded if I were to help resolve his problems by e-mail rather then on the Forum, he agreed ."

Question is, could you have helped this person in the same way by remaining public? What was so "tedious" that it needed special attention?

Some of the advantages of helping someone out on a one to one basis are:
-the elimination of many, often conflicting solutions to the problem...
-posts by those who don't let the fact that they don't know stop them...
-posts by those who mistakenly thought the question was "Does anyone here not know the answer?"....
Probably some others too....:cool:

Helping somebody out directly certainly does have its advantages, but as a courtesy to other forum readers it should be followed-up with a post to the original discussion.

Rob.

on the forum

'I noticed a Trainzer posting problems'..

That says it all. If it wasn't for the forum there would have been no help in the first place.

Let's keep the forum public. There may be posts that go off track or irrelevant, but that's the same on all forums.

Go to PM's if posting gets a bore but I still think it best to post the actual solution at the end of the process, that's how we all learn to use Trainz.

Angela

Damn !!

Yer he is!

There's also the possibility that the person helping gives the wrong advice and causes the person he's helping greater problems, which is why it is nessessary to keep as many people involved as possible. This is the entire purpose of a public forum.

There's also the possibility that the person helping gives the wrong advice and causes the person he's helping greater problems, which is why it is nessessary to keep as many people involved as possible. This is the entire purpose of a public forum.
Its simple,If the person helping is not sure of the answer just say I'm Sorry I don't know.

Last edited:
Back