Seaport Passengers

BAMMARS

After a consist has arrived at the Seaport Passenger Terminal,what is the best practical method of returning the consist to the mainline with the locomotive at the other end of the train and pointing in the correct direction. Appreciate any replies. Thank you.
Alan.

Thanks for quick reply George. Does a push-pull operation require a second loco. I'm pretty much limited in my experience of Trainz. Thanks again.
Alan.

It all depends on the era you are working in, Banmars. On the GWR/BR, certain coaches were adapted for push pull operations, where the fireman stayed on board the loco but the driver drove the train from the cab of the specially adapted coach, otherwise known as 'Autotrailers', or, in GWR parlance, 'Auto-trains' or 'Motor-Trains'.

If you aren't running steam, why not settle for a DMU?

Or, be like the GNER and use an electric Class 90 for the same duty?
(The last rail journey I took to Norwich utilised this principle. ) Hope this helps you.

Seward, thanks for your suggestions re DMU and Class 90.
I am already running a variation of Georges' turning Y, but was wondering what other solutions there might be. I will certainly make a note of your suggestions, so once again thank you. Regards. Alan.

That wasn't always the case on the GWR, Seward. More often than not, the loco would run round its train, the reason being that it usually had some shunting to do in the station yard anyway.

Best wishes,
Padster

If its a steam train:

Decouple the steam train and make a turn round, the steam it backwards now.

If its a diesel locomotive:

Put one at each end link National Express do so when you come to a terminus station the train a the back can pull it.

Hope that helps!

Another method is to activate and use the Terminate Passenger train rule.
Make sure you've got a loop just outside the seaport area.
Bring in the passenger train, terminate it at the platform then push back to the loop for the run-around, then push back into the platform for loading and dispatch.

A fair few terminii had arrangements like this (no runaround loop through the platform but one close by).

Cheers,
Dreadnought1

The option that requires the least amount of track though, is an extra loco, like matty said. This works best if you have two-way locos like some of the included BR diesel engines, or the german DB locos. When the train pulls into the station, the other loco connects to the rear coach, then the front loco disconnects, and the rear loco takes off with the coaches. The previous front loco then moves into the loco shed (or other simple side track option) that was previously occupied by the current leading engine, ready to move to the back of the next train.

This is fairly common at several terminus stations where space is not in abundance, and i'd say a seaport in trainz is one such place;)

MattyAnd, Dreadnought1 and Athox.

I never thought I would see this thread again as it was started in Dec 2006.
Never the less, many thanks for your observations,I appreciate them.

Regards. Alan.

Back