Product guidance

tvb4848

For several years I have HO modelled layouts from steam-diesel era. I am interested in virtually building a new layout, running and testing it with Trainz, before I physically start building. Which product and version of Trainz are best for designing from scratch a virtual layout? Thanks for your input.

Classics. Runs a lot better than previous versions, although it's more sensitive to faulty content.

If you really want a product that's more purebred model train sim, I'd suggest (and I can't even believe I'm suggesting it) that you buy a copy of Ultimate Trainz Collection. However, it's quite old, doesn't run as fast as newer versions do, and precious little content is being made for it (one author that still produces UTC content is ish6.) There is also no official support for steam locomotives; unless you run them in DCC mode they will act like diesels and have diesel controls.

However, I'd only recommend buying it if you can live with all of the above conditions. The newer versions of Trainz are undoubtedly far better in terms of content, graphics, and speed; they're just not focused towards virtual model railroading as much as UTC was/is.

Believe it or not the Trainz series was originally conceptualized, and designed, as a model railroad sim. TRS2004 was where the proto stuff started seeping in and the Trainz series lost its focus. It is now solidly focused towards proto operations.

If you can't live with the above conditions I'd suggest getting a copy of TRS2004 (again, I can't believe what I'm typing :confused:). It's still an old version, and still lacks the polish and content that newer versions offer, but it's also very stable and considerably less fickle and temperamental than TRS2006 (and TC, from what I've seen an heard, although I have not bought TC.)

I'll stick my two cents in and agree with these guys. UTC or TRS2004 are very good. Each in it's own respective way.
snip........and precious little content is being made for it (one author that still produces UTC content is ish6.)

I still create for UTC. Unless I do something that requires some sort of advanced config or scripting, it is usually made for UTC.

But TC has fewer undocumented system features and can run a wider variety of items.

Cheerio John

I forgot to mention that.:hehe:

Trainz editions before TRS2004 are outdated, no one really uses them anymore, a lot less content, etc. etc. I mean, just look at the 1.3 and UTC forums.

Trainz editions before TRS2004 are outdated, no one really uses them anymore, a lot less content, etc. etc. I mean, just look at the 1.3 and UTC forums.

Absolutely. UTC is the absolute oldest version I would recommend buying, and in this case I only mentioned it because the OP specified that he wanted what was best for making a virtual layout from scratch, and UTC is by far the most thoroughbred model sim in the Trainz line (well, maybe 1.3 is even more model-simmish, but at this point it's ancient, so...)

I would like to clarify my previous post, I really meant to endorse TRS2004 a bit more than I did UTC, perhaps I came off as saying "Go with UTC, stuff 04!" but that's not really what I meant. I'd still heartily recommend that the OP buy TRS2004, it's a very stable platform for doing what you want to do (virtual model layouts) and a lot of the more prolific content creators are still creating content for it.

Thanks for the input

For all who responded, many thanks for the insight. Where would you recommend acquiring TR2004 easiest and best? Internet Trains advertised it but couldn't get it in stock after two months' wait.

Back