Overclocking time

Lo_Poly

Unidentified bogie
I thought I could garner a few extra FPS out of Trainz by overclocking my card.

I have Nvidia nTune installed. This is my card. It has the stock cooler. Currently, idling in Firefox (iTunes, Winamp and Vista's aero running as well ), the core temp is 59/60 C.

What would you recommend for a good, reliable overclocking speed?
confused.gif

Cheers.

Hi,

None, I don't believe in overclocking.

The 8800GTX is fast enough without thinking about overclocking, maybe you should look into other things, like CPU, how fast is your CPU?

How much RAM do you have?

The thing with nTune is, you must make sure that you motherboard supports everything you have, are you running a nForce chipset?

If not, you are going to have a few problems with overclocking.

If yes, then just run nTune, it will determine the correct speed for everything by itself by running stability tests after each adjustment, if it fails, it will restore back to previous setting.

Due to this, make sure your PSU is strong, as voltages will increase as well.

If you want faster FPS, then shutdown un-needed processes.

I'm not adverse to overclocking.....if you can achieve a 10% increase in speed. This card is factory OC'ed however, and you aren't going to get 10% out of it. I'd leave it alone, were it mine.
Ed

If you're going to overclock, then nTune's ok to help.

I used it on my system and managed to have +20% performance - strangely, none of this was from the graphics card (6600 GT), but from the CPU (Athlon 3000) being overclocked by 22%.
Ovviously the older graphics card was capable of taking everything thrown at it....

One caution - you must make sure that the CPU cooling is good - I started (standard fan & case) with a CPU at 60C...
New Akasa case + heat-pipe cooling - now runs at 32C.

Colin

If you're going to overclock, then nTune's ok to help.

I used it on my system and managed to have +20% performance - strangely, none of this was from the graphics card (6600 GT), but from the CPU (Athlon 3000) being overclocked by 22%.
Ovviously the older graphics card was capable of taking everything thrown at it....

One caution - you must make sure that the CPU cooling is good - I started (standard fan & case) with a CPU at 60C...
New Akasa case + heat-pipe cooling - now runs at 32C.

Colin

This is why I just wanted to see if I could OC the graphics card first, because I still have the intel stock cooler for my CPU... when I muster some money for a really nice cooler I'll make sure to ask about overclocking the CPU. ;)

Cheers.

Yup,

The best investment I made was the Akasa Zen Case. Twin 12 cm fans (standard) plus a "cooker hood" vent for the CPU fan.

That was about £22 - guess that's around $45 (US). Cheaper than the CPU fan, it's got enough drive bays for all the drives I want (floppy, CD, DVD + internal bays) plus the cooling!
It also reduced the GPU by about 5-6 degrees.

I thought that it was interesting that the GPU could be overclocked, but didn't make any mprovement. The CPU could, and did, but I did have a number of problems with the nTune part...
Basically it insists on a little "pop-up" note stating that xxx mode has been loaded.
This really upsets some of my games - which run in a DOS window - and are not happy with ALT+ TAB.

Cheers,

Colin

Really overclocking made an improvement for me. GPU and CPU. Above posts tell you all above and so far the easiest is using Ntune. But nobody mentions another detail to improve things: Registry. You use Windows over and over and after a while it slows down and starts to act worst everyday, certainly not as good as when you installed it the first day! Solution? Do a re-install and go over the old thing again (registration, etc). But if you buy or get somehow a registry fixer, and run it... Bingo! Everything works as if you just installed Windows! Of course make sure to run a good defragmenting tool, and I don't mean the one with Windows. Oh yes, everything costs money. The thing is to spend as little as possible. Registry tool, Defragmenter, Spyware... I forgot: All that is a no brainer to use and gets you going quite nicely.

Really overclocking made an improvement for me. GPU and CPU. Above posts tell you all above and so far the easiest is using Ntune. But nobody mentions another detail to improve things: Registry. You use Windows over and over and after a while it slows down and starts to act worst everyday, certainly not as good as when you installed it the first day! Solution? Do a re-install and go over the old thing again (registration, etc). But if you buy or get somehow a registry fixer, and run it... Bingo! Everything works as if you just installed Windows! Of course make sure to run a good defragmenting tool, and I don't mean the one with Windows. Oh yes, everything costs money. The thing is to spend as little as possible. Registry tool, Defragmenter, Spyware... I forgot: All that is a no brainer to use and gets you going quite nicely.

Could you link me to very good and reliable registry cleaner for Windows Vista?

Most on google I have found have been, um... don't know how to describe it, "Bad"? :eek:

Sure! I use Registry Mechanic from PCTools. Easy to use and you could install in 3 computers. Don't forget to eliminate anything in the background, including the desktop screen: Leave the nice blue only.

Back