Overclocking a 9600GT

Oh poo! Looks like I'll have to go for the new graphics card option then. Even the smallest tweak to the GPU is causing issues.

Thanks for that advice though. Must informative.

Oh poo! Looks like I'll have to go for the new graphics card option then. Even the smallest tweak to the GPU is causing issues.

Thanks for that advice though. Must informative.

pfx,

As was said earlier, do be sure that your power supply (and especially its 12 volt line will handle the load). It is always possible that your power supply is already "on the edge", so that when you overclock your voltages drop and it all "goes squirly" (sp? - Jack O'Neill in Stargate).

Did you say what your present power supply's total wattage was? Do you have any way of monitoring your voltages? What does the 12v line say, normally and when you try to overclock?

Peter.

I have a 450w PSU. I'm sure I can find some freeware to monitor consumption.

@pfx

If you manage to find some software that can directly monitor and display power consumption in real time then please let me know, I haven't ever found any such software, despite many searches.

If you do find something and post a link then thanks in advance, I will be going in to hospital on Tues 11th Oct for hip replacement surgery so will be unable to reply for a while after.

Rob.

Rob, just downloaded and intalled some software from majorgeeks that monitors everything you could require.

Try this http://majorgeeks.com/Open_Hardware_Monitor_d6396.html.

Unbelievable what a load Trainz puts on my system. CPU temps up in the 60's and GPU hitting 60 too. With Trainz off, I'm running around 40 degrees and 40 degrees respectively.

Yep, it monitors almost everything but not power consumption in watts.

There's lots of free software that's similar and this one appears to be good but none of them, or at least all those I have found, will give you a direct reading of PSU output in watts. Temperature readings are very useful though.

Motherboard sensors only seem to monitor voltage and temperatures, it needs a 'current being drawn' reading to calculate power and m/boards don't appear to have current monitoring built in.

Power(watts) = I(current drawn, amperes) x V(volts)

Thanks,

Rob.

Last edited:
If you do delve into overclocking I would highly recommend an "aftermarket" heat sink for the processor...the more you overclock the hotter the processor will run. Just something to keep in mind.
And overclocking all depends on your exact processor.. each and every processor(even if the same type) is different in it's overclocking ability, and weather or not the bios will allow the overclocking to happen(I.E. unlocked multiplier etc)

For my current build I decided to go with water cooling, went with a Corsair H70 (closed loop, prefilled, easy to install). The setup is really quiet and does an amazing job. But I guess we are moving slightly off topic, the op was overclocking the video card.

Yep, it monitors almost everything but not power consumption in watts.

There's lots of free software that's similar and this one appears to be good but none of them, or at least all those I have found, will give you a direct reading of PSU output in watts. Temperature readings are very useful though.

Motherboard sensors only seem to monitor voltage and temperatures, it needs a 'current being drawn' reading to calculate power and m/boards don't appear to have current monitoring built in.

Power(watts) = I(current drawn, amperes) x V(volts)

Thanks,

Rob.

There really should be no need to directly monitor current draw. Any inabililty of a power supply to provide the needed current will show up as a drop in voltage.

A power supply can only maintain steady accurate voltage as long as current demands are being met.

For my current build I decided to go with water cooling, went with a Corsair H70 (closed loop, prefilled, easy to install). The setup is really quiet and does an amazing job. But I guess we are moving slightly off topic, the op was overclocking the video card.
Indeed but not all cases are setup to accept water cooling. Not to mention some people just do not like the idea of having water in the system.:hehe:
Not going to far off topic as overclocking the CPU has a very close relation to how the graphics gets overclocked..Much like if you overclock the CPU the ram automatically get overclocked ever so slightly, unless you want more.

After all that, I came across a brand new GT440 for £52 quid so hopefully that may well solve my issues.

It's a GDDR5 and I looked at the comparision it is a bit slower than the GTS450. I have to base my comparison on my current card too though so that would give me the following.

9600GT GT440 GTS450
GPU 650 810 783
Shaders 1625 1620 1579
Memory 900 1600 1804

It's a GDDR5 and I looked at the comparision it is a bit slower than the GTS450. I have to base my comparison on my current card too though so that would give me the following.

9600GT GT440 GTS450
GPU 650 810 783
Shaders 1625 1620 1579
Memory 900 1600 1804

I should have been clearer, I was comparing the GT440 to a 9600GT. But, I have been wrong in the past.

I should have been clearer, I was comparing the GT440 to a 9600GT. But, I have been wrong in the past.

Haha, no problem. You could pretty much disregard those numbers anyway. When I found them on a comparision site, you're comparison was quite right. The GT440 comes out worst of the three. The GTS450 is certainly the way to go and I've found a few used on ebay. If money was no object, I'd be going for the latest offerings but the tight budget means my sights are somewhat lowered. Still, the 9600GT has served me well and it was second hand when I got it.

Haha, no problem. You could pretty much disregard those numbers anyway. When I found them on a comparision site, you're comparison was quite right. The GT440 comes out worst of the three. The GTS450 is certainly the way to go and I've found a few used on ebay. If money was no object, I'd be going for the latest offerings but the tight budget means my sights are somewhat lowered. Still, the 9600GT has served me well and it was second hand when I got it.

I know all about tight budgets, that's why I have a GTS450 (it's a pull from my old computer) with an overclocked 15-2500(k). I ran out of money building my current rig.

Wow, I checked out ebay, people want way too much money.

Back