Problems with ATI Card, please help

ivantr

Sdrawkcab ni gnitirw
Hi mates
Please, if you could help me, as this is getting me so frustrated and tired, IDK what to do, I'd throw my PC just for this problem

Recently I bought a new PC from scratch, only using my old HDD and my old Geforce 8600 GTS 256 MB GDDR3
So then after putting all and decided to run it, the graphic card died
And then after a month I bought a new card, this time a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, from 2nd hand, but with very very low use
Ok so then, after installing W7 64 Bits, and decided to play a game, after installing the drivers from the net (As IDK why, the Drivers CD is working very very bad, and it doesn't have any scratch, no signs of use) so after installing the drivers 13.1 with the Catalyst Software, I tried to run Trainz 2010, then it doesnt start or freezes in steps, freezing for a sec and getting the screen black, then working for 2 sec and again freezing and black screen, so tired of this I close Trainz. Then I try to play Gears Of War PC, that starts well and lets me play with a screen black freeze for a sec but then letting me play without any more freeze or lag (60-61 FPS constantly with V-Sync, DX10 and AA/AF at maximum and other sets at maximum)

But then even watching videos on Ytube or opening two tabs in Firefox or Chrome it Freezes too, why??
And saying that after all the written above, when black screen comes back (Usually pressing CTRL + ALT + SUPR) a message appears telling me that "The AMD display adapter has stopped working and has recovered" and can happen followed by another just 2 secs after it
By now I cant play Trainz 2009, or Trainz 2010 as it freezes and shows me a black screen or in the Task Manager it shows trainz running at 4.4
I have installed the AMD and ATI drivers versions 9 10 11 13 and 14 and none of them works properly and I have reinstalled W7 32 and 64 Bits in TWO different HDD's without solvering the problem, and this just for 3 days, I'm very tired and confused, IDK what to do more
Have to say too that the GPU Temp goes from 43 to 54 before failing or freezing, and its with the cooler at 100%
And running with the default Windows driver, 0 problems, can play 5 videos or do whatever I want that it wont freeze, but with Catalyst it f****ng freezes all the time, what a crap is ATI??
Also I tried to run Trainz in both Directx and OpenGL

My PC Specs are

AMD Athlon II X4 965 BE at 3,41 Ghz
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB SATA II
NOX Urano 650W
Tacens Anima AC1 Tower Box

BTW I know that or believe that the PSU and the card are not the ones causing the problem as PSU gives me 24A on the +3.3V, +5V, +12V (Both of the TWO) and 0.5A in the -12V and 2.5A on the +5VSB, with 3,34 V, 12,097V, and 5,01 in the BIOS
And that I removed and changed the termal silicone on the card, having temperatures of 43º in the core, 43º in the GPU (40% fan), and 40-39º in the system, all in IDLE going up to 50-54º at heavy tasks

The first thing to ask is whether or not you uninstalled the old graphics drivers when you removed your old card?

Andy

Step 1/. I'd recommend reinstalling the operating system again to get rid of any old traces of graphics card driver from the old card.

Cheerio John

You've installed a new windows o/s.
You will need to download dx9c again and install obviously.

The first thing to ask is whether or not you uninstalled the old graphics drivers when you removed your old card?

Andy

The old graphics got removed after deleting the old system partition

I installed W7 64Bits first on a 80GB HDD SATA II

Then it started making the black screen freezes
So I formatted and installed the W7 32Bits (My currently W7) in my old HDD of 2TB in a partition
And doing this 4 or 5 times searching for a solution, but I think that formatting is not the sollution

Step 1/. I'd recommend reinstalling the operating system again to get rid of any old traces of graphics card driver from the old card.

Cheerio John

Already did it. Every time that I was not comfortable with drivers, I uninstall them, shut down and start windows in Safe mode to use DriverSweeper, to clean all traces of the last installed AMD/ATI Driver
So then W7 Installs the default VGA driver after starting it again (With this driver, my PC recognizes my card as a VGA card, not like an ATI/AMD Card, but in this mode I dont have any problem but I can't play any game)

You've installed a new windows o/s.
You will need to download dx9c again and install obviously.

Already did it too
I installed DX9 Redistributable, DX10 and DX11, but no luck, only in Gears Of War that starts and lets me to play without any problem
Now I can start Trainz, but I get stuck in the loading screen, and then the screen turns green and shows some artifacts covering the middle down screen
I will test other games later to see
By now I dont know if this f****ng card will let me to at least open 3DSMAX 2009

IDK Why this happens
I have came from an Athlon II X2 with 3,1 Ghz, with a 450W PSU, 2GB of RAM DDR2 a 2TB HDD SATAII and a Geforce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3 with any problems, I could play Gears Of War, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, Trainz 2009 with settings at maximum and GTA IV at middle with no problem and now with 1024 KB of GDDR RAM I cant play Trainz 2009 or BF2?? What I can DO??

Also, many thanks for your respones, many thanks
Have to say too that now, when viewing the "USA Pics" Thread, my PC got stuck, with the consecuent Black Screen Freeze

Greetings

The Card is in the PCI x16 Slot
By now, I cant stan on Windows 7 without a problem. Explorer is running out of memory and failing each time I click on a program and then onto another

Could be for example, that my RAM is not compatible with my MoBo. If it's, what can happen??
These are the memories supported by the GA-970A-UD3

GSET16D1 G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO
GSET16D2 G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
GSET16D3 G.SKILL 4GB F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH

and mine is

F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Could be this, the cause of the trouble??

Just on my way to bed however that sounds like it's using the windows basic VGA driver, not the ATI one.

If I start windows in Safe Mode or if I uninstall any ATI/AMD Graphic Card Driver, I can do whatever I want (Open 6/7 videos at time, open 20 Tabs with both chrome and firefox opened) without any problem, but if I install the ATI/AMD Catalyst Driver, if I open two TWO tabs in firefox/Chrome, the screen freezes, so then it is useless, I can recover it by pressing CTRL + ALT + SUPR and then without opening it again, and sucks to do this all the time. I can clearly say that it's not problem of the card, because I can play Gears Of War at full at 60 FPS so the temp is not a problem (This card can go up to 85º) and when it reaches 54º the screen freezes and goes black, with W7 Aero disabled and with 16Bits of color screen. The card is installed in the PCIE x16

Here the BIOS Screenies

And the voltage is : 1145
The GPU Clock : 765 Mhz
And the memory clock : 2000 Mhz (Sapphire Trixx shows me 4000Mhz)

I'll try to underclock from 765 Mhz to 665 Mhz to see if it works
The default value is 775 Mhz

Trainz doesnt work too if I put the "-DX9" in the properties of the shortcut

P.S. Again, sorry, I put that my RAM isn't actually in the list of supported memories in the page of the GA-970A-UD3, so please tell me what could happen if it'snt compatible with the MoBo (I have only one stick of my two, put in the 2nd slot, so i'll put the second stick in the 1st slot in a time)

Last edited:
I can't find any reference to specific supported ram, you say 2 slots but according to tech radar photos there's 4.
I've read somewhere that he/she deleted the catalyst suite but kept the drivers because of some conflict, is that possible ?

Last edited:
I've read somewhere that he/she deleted the catalyst suite but kept the drivers because of some conflict, is that possible ?

That's exactly what I have done. TS12 didn't perform well and I too have read threads where the advice is to do away with ATI Catalyst Control Centre, so I uninstalled it and now only have the card drivers installed

Andy

Just to benchmark, I'm running an ATI Radeon 4350/4500 with driver 8.970.100.7000 on an AMD 4200 board with 3 Gb memory under XPSP3. I get black screens only momentarily while the resolution changes as I start TRZ2009SP4.

Hope you can work this through, but there may be a reason that card was available....

:B~(

Wowowowowow many many thanks guys

I did what you told me. I reinstalled W7, both in 32Bits and in 64Bits, and in the 64 Bits, without installing the CCC im rarely getting a *BSF. It only crashes with DX 10 Programs, but why?? I have played Gears Of War at full with constant 60FPS, Counter Strike Source at FULL at 60 FPS, and in the stress testmark from this game, im getting an average of 297 FPS, so I can clearly say that is not problem of my card. Now I get the correct Memory Clock and voltage and GPU Clock. I am getting only BSF when playng Gears Of War with DirectX 10 / Antialiasing Mode and when trying to launch 3DSMAX 2009. I have not tested trainz yet but im getting very good progresses. I believe that there is a problem with the DX10. But I have installed DirectX 9, Directx10 and Directx10Jun11 (This lists me as DirectX 11) all in redistributable packages. So how can I set or install DirectX properly or put DX9 as the main library. Maybe upgrading to Directx11 directly will fix the problem??

Greetings

And I have to say too that with fan at 100% the GPU Temp is at 38-39º in Idle, that's an improvement, no more screen freezes. I will pass a 3DFurmark Test
:D :D :D

*Black Screen Freezes

Good news then at last.
Dx9, 10 and 11 will work depending on which program needs which version. No need to try to make one the main library.

Back