ugly trains

ns34.jpg

The "Brick"
pictures%5C46046%5CNS%2038.JPG

They're used for research aren't they, I don't even think they have engines. 34 does look a bit odd (What's going on with the cab?) but I don't mind the last one, reminds me of an E44.

They're used for research aren't they, I don't even think they have engines. 34 does look a bit odd (What's going on with the cab?) but I don't mind the last one, reminds me of an E44.

NS #34 is a track geometry car equipped with sensors that detect defects in rail, cross ties, and other track infrastructure. It started out life as Norfolk and Western SD-35 #1530, delivered to the N&W in 8/65. As a geometry car #34's traction motors have been removed, with track measuring devices added to one truck, and a generator had been installed in its car body to power the measuring equipment. #34 is usually mated with NS Research car #33, which contains the recording and processing equipment for the data supplied by #34. NS operates a 2nd set of geometry cars, #38 and #36, setup to operate in the same fashion as #34 and #33 do. Typically, the NS track geometry cars collect data on about 40,000 track miles every year.

Last edited:
So they're rolling defect detectors?

Yeah, more or less, but NS' R&T group (research and track) is also using the data collected to build a computer-based track infrastructure database, which could be used to identify the root causes of rail degradation, as a early warning system to repair or replace track, and in general as a way to better plan for the future (track) maintenance or replacement.

Here's a pic of #34's usual mate, research car #33 (which houses the equipment that records and processes the data #34 supplies, plus personnel, etc.).

NS%20ResearchCar%2033%20d%20frPS.jpg

Last edited:
The horror

That's a RP20BD "Genset" locomotive, built* by Railpower Technologies, a subsidiary of R.J. Corman Railroad Group. There's been 116 of them built for various railroads, including CP, BNSF, UPY, Norfolk Southern and CSX. The RP20BDs are rebuilt from older locomotive and are computer controlled, with the computer stopping and starting engines on a rotating basis, as required to produce the horsepower needed at any given moment. They'd said to deliver reduced emissions and fuel consumption (35-55%) while providing more torque to the rail than locomotives using conventional design.

Here's more info on the RP Series Product Line, from R.J. Corman.

* NS 101 was assembled at the Norfolk Southern's Juniata Shops in Altoona, PA, using kits provided by Railpower. The "donor unit" was a EMD GP38AC.

4871606017_ce1155f97e_z.jpg

Last edited:
An RS1 cab on a Geep? It would look nice w/o the high number boards, It also could use some paint and cleaning. In fact, it could go in the beautiful trains thread if it had those modifications.

Last edited:
How can ya call that ugly, that's got to be one of the most interesting engine I've seen lately. :D:hehe: I'll bet it would be a must have for a lot of us.

She's showing some age, but it still runs! Classic EMD 567 at work right there, those things just never quit!

Back