Mesh networks Easymesh standard

johnwhelan

I needed a win 11 machine for the security and it came with Wi-Fi 6. Locally there seems to be more and more Wi-Fi being used, my smartphone detects around five times the number of access points than there was before COVID and a couple of devices were showing signs of low network speed.

So the requirements were Wi-Fi 6 router and some sort of mesh network. There is a new open standard called Easymesh and using standards based equipment where possible has always been an aim of mine.

Generally speaking mesh networks are expensive but you can use two TP-Link AX55 Wi-Fi 6 routers together now in an Easymesh configuration and they aren't that expensive which is probably why they don't get mentioned in the reviews. You will need to update the router software though. At the moment I'd stick to one manufacturers flavour of Easymesh as the implementation details get ironed out.

One day I hope to get Ethernet back haul but until then they seem to do the job.

So if you're looking to upgrade your router and have an option to go to mesh if you need it later then I suggest looking at the TP link AX55. You can plug in an SSD so it will act as a shared disk which seems to get picked up easily by windows machines.

Cheerio John

I needed a win 11 machine for the security and it came with Wi-Fi 6. Locally there seems to be more and more Wi-Fi being used, my smartphone detects around five times the number of access points than there was before COVID and a couple of devices were showing signs of low network speed.

So the requirements were Wi-Fi 6 router and some sort of mesh network. There is a new open standard called Easymesh and using standards based equipment where possible has always been an aim of mine.

Generally speaking mesh networks are expensive but you can use two TP-Link AX55 Wi-Fi 6 routers together now in an Easymesh configuration and they aren't that expensive which is probably why they don't get mentioned in the reviews. You will need to update the router software though. At the moment I'd stick to one manufacturers flavour of Easymesh as the implementation details get ironed out.

One day I hope to get Ethernet back haul but until then they seem to do the job.

So if you're looking to upgrade your router and have an option to go to mesh if you need it later then I suggest looking at the TP link AX55. You can plug in an SSD so it will act as a shared disk which seems to get picked up easily by windows machines.

Cheerio John

Excellent information here John, thank you for overview and presentation of very relative facts. In today's world, Folks do not like to mess with Wiring, Ethernet.

I think by far the it's a much more stable way to go, along with Mesh when needed.

Believe it or not, when we rented a Air-BB House recently for short stay in Roseville, we found the Network was installed underneath floor and no hard cable to the TV, Signal was low, and TV viewing pleasure was not that great. Who would think someone would install a Router underneath there house, where you have to crawl in to reboot or replace Etc.

Mesh if it is a good Router will fill in the Signal Voids by focusing the Wireless Signal more equally divided across the areas you need covered. And you'd be surprised that folks will try to run there TV on Wireless as well as things like Roku Etc.

It works , but has problems when Bandwidth is needed on certain devices.

I have a Wi-Fi 5 mesh network with a Linksys MR8300 router and 3 Velop dual band nodes. That covers the house well enough although I don't get really high bandwidth except where my desktop is connected by wire to the MR8300. That's where I play Trainz Plus. Mostly it's good for when my daughter's family comes over and I get 12 devices on the LAN at once.
Mr. Rogers keeps threatening to make me switch to Ignite TV and Internet so I'll then lose my coax connections for TV and depend on wireless. I'll have to use their in-house gateway and pods. I assume that'll be Wi-Fi 6 so I won't upgrade my network until they force me.

Back