TransDEM path too complex issue

jadebullet

might be back?
Good afternoon everyone. I am currently working on a DEM that is quite large. I am following the below tutorial. I completed the first step(get the map tiles for the area the wide area the DEM will be part of, and the second step where I lay the path along the general line of the rail lines. But when I go to the third step where the map gets pared down to only what is around the path, I am getting a "path is too complex" error.

Does anyone know how to get past this? Is it just because the route is too big, or are there settings I can adjust to make it work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meeq_5_keYs&t=715s

Last edited:
If I were to guess, which I have to because i am not able to analyze your path, that either there are too many spline points, or there is more than one path (i/e, it looks like one path but there is a break in it somewhere), or there is a split in the path.

What I have done is draw a super basic version of the route by hand instead of using say the actual one created by OSM. I use my version just for what you describe as the third step. When it's time to send everything to trains I swap my route with OSM one.

I had that a couple of days ago.
In my case, I’d a geoferenced map of Fife, and had used the simple route editor to follow the tracks - skipping junctions. (I used the historic 6” mapping)

When I tried to reduce the mapping to just the route, I had the same error.
Probably:-
route too complex - in essence, there’s a circular route so an algorithm following it would never end…
route too large - the route lengths are not overall long, but their interactions complicate things.

suggestions (without any testing yet!).
Try, using the simple route editor, to follow only one line at a time (multiple saves), and process each individually.
Try using mapping the simple parts of the route just with the simple editor, using the JOSM method for the intricate parts.
I found it straightforward to adjust the track to the map/dem relief in Trainz.

I started mapping Reading station (Berkshire, UK) using the JOSM/open maps technique. While the track mapping was excellent, I could only download just enough tiles to cover the station. For those interested, it has 15 platforms (10 through, 5 termini), with a freight by-pass. Just to the west is a new flyover to allow trains coming from the south to arrive to the north of the station - without crossing 4 other main lines. You can see why I didn’t want to do that by hand!

Colin

Did you try breaking the circular path?

Instead of connecting the loop together leave a gap between the last track and the beginning to trick the program into thinking that the loop really isn't a loop. I've had a similar issue in a graphics program used to trace objects.

I've seen the new Reading station setup, not in person though, and boy is that nuts. I couldn't edit something like that either and now I'm wondering how is the AI going to deal with this?

John,
the new Reading station layout is - for once - pretty logical albeit involved.
it’s the terminus for Reading to London Waterloo/Gatwick lines (these diverge after some miles) using 3 platforms on the south-east.
also terminus for Reading to Basingstoke/Portsmouth lines to the south-west (2 platforms.
all the rest are double length through platforms for Devon/Cornwall; South Wales; West Coast mainline to Scotland.
unlike the old system, the platforms use is constant (barring line repairs).

cheers,
Colin

John,
the new Reading station layout is - for once - pretty logical albeit involved.
it’s the terminus for Reading to London Waterloo/Gatwick lines (these diverge after some miles) using 3 platforms on the south-east.
also terminus for Reading to Basingstoke/Portsmouth lines to the south-west (2 platforms.
all the rest are double length through platforms for Devon/Cornwall; South Wales; West Coast mainline to Scotland.
unlike the old system, the platforms use is constant (barring line repairs).

cheers,
Colin

Oh, it's not as bad as it looks! :)

I have train envy with you guys across the pond. What we have here is a watered-down version of trains lite.

Back