Weight Scale/Weigh Station

Bendorsey made a scale named 'Railroad_Scale', <kuid2:210518:300476:1>, that uses a script to simulate weighing cars that are listed in their config file as either category-class X or M. The main problem I've had with it is that I will include it on a route, and at some point, while working on the route, the rails only track for the scale is replaced with the track on either side of the scale, complete with ballast, ties, everything, all by itself. I don't know what causes it, it just happens.

Bendorsey made a scale named 'Railroad_Scale', <kuid2:210518:300476:1>, that uses a script to simulate weighing cars that are listed in their config file as either category-class X or M. The main problem I've had with it is that I will include it on a route, and at some point, while working on the route, the rails only track for the scale is replaced with the track on either side of the scale, complete with ballast, ties, everything, all by itself. I don't know what causes it, it just happens.

There's a tag in the config.txt file that does that. Going from memory, it's something like useajoiningtracktype. This tag is binary, meaning that it's 1 or 0. Edit the asset and change the option to 0 and the track will remain to whatever track is included with the model. You can even specify the track you want to use by replacing the included track with your choice in the config.txt file.

There's a tag in the config.txt file that does that. Going from memory, it's something like useajoiningtracktype. This tag is binary, meaning that it's 1 or 0. Edit the asset and change the option to 0 and the track will remain to whatever track is included with the model. You can even specify the track you want to use by replacing the included track with your choice in the config.txt file.

Funny thing is, it doesn't happen when I connect the track to it. There's a delay to the track connecting to it and the track on the scale changing. It can be several minutes after attaching it, several hours after attaching it, even several saves after attaching it.

I am wondering if there is some issue between what is visible and the invisible track it uses. Would Trainz somewhere along the line see that invisible track, and that there technically is no "visible" track asset, and just programmatically add the track it is attached to?

I am wondering if there is some issue between what is visible and the invisible track it uses. Would Trainz somewhere along the line see that invisible track, and that there technically is no "visible" track asset, and just programmatically add the track it is attached to?

I just took a look at it, and there's no invisible track showing which is the red wire kind. I even tried it in driver with a configured boxcar and pushed it into place, and nothing changed. Maybe I didn't wait long enough but I gave it a good 15 minutes before stopping.

I just took a look at it, and there's no invisible track showing which is the red wire kind. I even tried it in driver with a configured boxcar and pushed it into place, and nothing changed. Maybe I didn't wait long enough but I gave it a good 15 minutes before stopping.

Does the boxcar's config file list the category-class as either X or M? The script used by this scale only works with rolling stock whose category-class is one of these two classes. I know it works with lilb's coal hoppers.

John, I was looking at it in "Open - Preview Asset", and it showed a red line down the center of the track I assumed was invisible track. Then I tried "List Dependencies" and the only dependency listed is
<kuid2:63290:38102:1> MAN6 Invisible Track. There is no other track asset listed.

Thank you for this suggestion. I'm using it with no issues.

Does anyone know what type of scripting logic is used to toggle the animation of the scale?

Thank you for this suggestion. I'm using it with no issues.

Does anyone know what type of scripting logic is used to toggle the animation of the scale?

I don't know anything about scripting. The description of the asset on the DLS says the script was made by Paul Cass. By the way, how about you get off Trainz and work on Hyce's East Broad Top video? I'm subscribed to him and I know you're doing the post-production work on that video and we're all waiting for that video to drop to see what shenanigans he got into there. ;)

Last edited:
I saw this thread and thought maybe I could contribute something since I have worked with Ben Dorsey on many items. I uploaded today to the DLS <kuid:439337:111200> SAP_Railroad_Scale_1_PBR. This is a build 4.7 item for TRS19 or later and will be available for download from the DLS in about 36 hours or so. The parts that are based on Ben's original mesh have been re-textured with PBR textures and a lot of issues, such as flipped normals, rail height, etc have been corrected.

Item description: This is a scale to weigh freight cars (category-class X or M) to determine if they are overloaded. This is interactive to display the weight of the load. It will not trigger on a freight car that is not interactive or one that is empty. Rail cars that are not empty will be weighed at the single short red and white striped marker pole, which indicates where the weigh trigger point is located. The red placement arrows will only show up in Surveyor mode. Has animation and chimney smoke particle effects. Height adjustable. Results are displayed on the indicators at each end of the scale. Based partially on a rail scale mesh by Ben Dorsey. Script by Paul Cass. Uses high quality non-parallax PBR textures. Poly count = 6664

Here is a screenshot of what the new item looks like:

New-rail-scale-for-TRS19.jpg

I tested this out in TRS2022 and it seems to function just fine.

Bob

Very nice work Bob!

Could you upload a version with just the track and no building as well? That building is a bit modern for the period I'm modeling.

Could you upload a version with just the track and no building as well? That building is a bit modern for the period I'm modeling.

This is the reason I never take requests for creating Trainz content. No matter what you do, it seems it is never enough. :(

The following build 4.7 items for TRS19 or later have been up uploaded to the DLS today, and this is as good as its going to get:

<kuid:439337:111238> SAP_Railroad_Scale_3_PBR
<kuid:439337:111234> SAP_Railroad_Scale_2_PBR

Here is a screenshot of what the new items look like:

New-rail-scale-for-TRS19.jpg

and

Another-new-rail-scale-for-TRS19.jpg

They should be available for download from the DLS in about 36 hours or so.

Bob

Back