What should I upgrade?

autodctr

I am currently running a Ryzen 7 2700 with an nVidia RTX 2070. I have 16G ram. My current layout has no AI. It is 630 bases at 5m construction. Tens of thousands of pine speed trees. Mainline is 242 miles in length. All together there are 33 consists moving at the same time. 10 of those consists are on the mainline at the same time with manual control by me.

I am running at 1/2 sync. Most settings are set to "high". If I try to run at full sync (60hz), I will stay at 60 most of the time, but sometimes fall to below 50. This, of course, causes stuttering so I usually just leave it at 1/2 sync.

When I watch the load stats of my PC while Trainz is running, the CPU is averaging about 25% for all 16 threads. I am using a little less than 8G ram. The GPU is using about 2G of its ram. If I go to full sync, I am still not maxing anything out, but I do drop below the 60FPS that I want. So, what needs updated so that I can run 60FPS?

I’m running an i5 with an RTX 2060, one thing I found helps a lot is to have Trainz installed on a solid state drive - reduces the start-up time and the loading of assets.
you do have your Trainz database and program excluded from your virus checker?

colin

More RAM, seems to me. I could barely run ECML in 16 Gb on an I7 (sometimes wouldn't load correctly); after adding 8Gb it runs fine.

:B~)

More RAM, seems to me. I could barely run ECML in 16 Gb on an I7 (sometimes wouldn't load correctly); after adding 8Gb it runs fine.

I have 16G and when running Trainz I am using slightly less than 1/2 of that.......why would I add more when I am not using what I already have?

I have 16G and when running Trainz I am using slightly less than 1/2 of that.......why would I add more when I am not using what I already have?

Memory use fluctuates with what the program is doing. And the PC is doing other things at the same time. It appears to me that your memory gets fully used from time to time. At that point the system switches out lower-priority jobs to the "virtual RAM" area of the hard drive, slowing things down. What is a lower-priority job? Only the system knows, we don't. An example is my laptop, which is currently a Win10 PC, an elderly I5 Intel with on-board graphics. It came with 4 Gb RAM which I've bumped to the max of 6. I still can't run T:ANE on it at all although 12 will run within limits.

Have you tried increasing the size of your virtual RAM in System Properties>Advanced>Performance Properties>Advanced? An appropriate setting for 16 Gb RAM would be around 24 Gb disk space. If you haven't, give it a try, it might help. Make sure your system drive has enough free space first.

I've my T:ANE, TRS19 and 22 installed on a M2 SSD with a I7-7700, rtx 2070 and 16GB DDR5 and everything runs as smooth as ever.

I run very smooth and rock-solid at 30FPS (half sync). BUT, if I wanted ro run higher graphics levels and 60FPS, what would I need to do that?

I am trying to figure out if I want to drop $2,000+USD for a new machine or not.

Just ordered a Ryzen 9 7900 with 64G dual channel 4600 RAM and an nVidia 3080. I surely hope that it will run Trainz a bit faster!

Being that route is so many baseboards, how is the performance if you were to say... cut it to 1/4th or less size, just for testing, and see how it works then?

I pretty much have the same thing even on much smaller routes. I am hoping that the new machine will raise the bar a bit.

Just ordered a Ryzen 9 7900 with 64G dual channel 4600 RAM and an nVidia 3080. I surely hope that it will run Trainz a bit faster!

I just got back into trainz with 22 from 12. My 6 year old desktop could barly run it with stutter and even freezing with 22. I just got a laptop with Intel I7 with 16GB Ram and Nvidia 3060 and it is night and day. I am Running at 60 plus FPS so you should see a big difference with 3080 card.

Last edited:
Received new machine! With everything on the highest settings, I am now at 160-190 FPS! If you have never seen Trainz run on max settings, you really need to....it is amazing!

Back