Merging Realistic routes with different rotations

NatusVolare

The problem is quite simple, I have two routes one terminates at the station the other begins, they are realistic maps. This being said, one of the maps is rotated significantly enough that they do not line up. So my question is, is there anything in Trainz+, Surveyor 2, or any freeware or payware for me to be able to do this? Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forums.

Theoretically, this can be done in Trainz+ by copying the baseboards and making a clipboard object (I forgot the real name and I don't have TRS22+ loaded to take a look.) of that area. You can create new baseboards at the same height as the area you want to paste on to and then paste down your clip which you can rotate into place. The only routes this can't be done on are the built-in and the DLC routes from N3V. If they are from the DLS or third-party such as Jointed Rail, they will work fine.

Now, with that said, how easy is this to do when managing an unwieldy area like that? Surveyor, no matter what version, gets a bit sluggish when moving huge things into place and pasting down the huge chunks accurately can be challenging but theoretically it can be done.

The old way is to build in between baseboards to connect and blend two differently facing routes. Once the "bridge" portion is created, you merge the routes together and blend the scenery to match. It takes some practice, and the results can be quite convincing when done well.

And finally, there are assets called i-Portals.

An i-Portal is a portal object, as the name implies, that allows the user to send trains to another user or to himself via the internet on the i-Portal server, or via loopback to his own computer. The most difficult aspect of this, which really isn't is placing the portal where you want and setting up the to-from names. When configured, a train is sent to an i-Portal just as any train would be directed to a portal or other industry/station asset. The disadvantage of these is the trains go to the Ether and don't load on the other route until the route's session is opened in Driver where the trains are sent from the portals after a set amount of time that you specify.

Currently, I've been using i-Portals to connect many large routes including those of my own that I always wanted to merge but couldn't either due to their size, baseboard height, or direction. They do work as advertised and when the freight consists arrive from another route, they retain their commodities. You are then required to insert the driver's schedule to allow the train to continue manually, or you can just let the consist drive along without any control over it. I prefer the manual control because my trains enter a yard where I switch out the freight cars.

Thank you for the recomendation!

Welcome to the forums.

Theoretically, this can be done in Trainz+ by copying the baseboards and making a clipboard object (I forgot the real name and I don't have TRS22+ loaded to take a look.) of that area. You can create new baseboards at the same height as the area you want to paste on to and then paste down your clip which you can rotate into place. The only routes this can't be done on are the built-in and the DLC routes from N3V. If they are from the DLS or third-party such as Jointed Rail, they will work fine.

Now, with that said, how easy is this to do when managing an unwieldy area like that? Surveyor, no matter what version, gets a bit sluggish when moving huge things into place and pasting down the huge chunks accurately can be challenging but theoretically it can be done.

The old way is to build in between baseboards to connect and blend two differently facing routes. Once the "bridge" portion is created, you merge the routes together and blend the scenery to match. It takes some practice, and the results can be quite convincing when done well.

And finally, there are assets called i-Portals.

An i-Portal is a portal object, as the name implies, that allows the user to send trains to another user or to himself via the internet on the i-Portal server, or via loopback to his own computer. The most difficult aspect of this, which really isn't is placing the portal where you want and setting up the to-from names. When configured, a train is sent to an i-Portal just as any train would be directed to a portal or other industry/station asset. The disadvantage of these is the trains go to the Ether and don't load on the other route until the route's session is opened in Driver where the trains are sent from the portals after a set amount of time that you specify.

Currently, I've been using i-Portals to connect many large routes including those of my own that I always wanted to merge but couldn't either due to their size, baseboard height, or direction. They do work as advertised and when the freight consists arrive from another route, they retain their commodities. You are then required to insert the driver's schedule to allow the train to continue manually, or you can just let the consist drive along without any control over it. I prefer the manual control because my trains enter a yard where I switch out the freight cars.

Hello, and thank you for the recommendation.
I would just merge them with a bridge if the actual route was in the correct orientation, the problem is that considering it is a realistic route it needs to continue in a certain orientation. I will give it a shot. The rotations are increments of less than 90 degrees as well?

By a bridge I meant 'tween boards. You build a route extension on the route you are merging into then connect the other route to that. Your next step is then to landscape and blend the terrain so no one can tell the difference between the routes. It takes practice but it can be done quite nicely. I've done a number of routes that way and with careful blending of textures, trees, grass, etc., things can line up pretty well without anyone knowing that these were outside routes merged into my own.

Things are not at the compass points with S20, you can rotate the clips in much finer control. This takes practice, yeah so give it a try and let us know how things work out.

Back