Flashing Pine Trees

boleyd

I use a considerable number of Pine Trees in my current route. The most prominent one is from Sam Pine 1. As you go along the route some of his pines begin to Flash. That is the clumps of needles on the pines turn white and cycle off & on. Same route in TRS22 does not have this problem. I have tried adjusting various graphic options, weather, train speed, changed trains etc. with no results. Sometimes only one "clump" of needles flash white. At other times and entire tree begins to flash. This began with the latest update to TRS19. In several months this will be appropriate behavior :udrool:!

Last edited:
The white flashing was an issue in TRS19 with those trees and some others as well including some built-in eucalyptus trees. N3V did address that issue in TRS22 if I recall and there have also been other rendering changes as well which may explain why the problem doesn't exist in TRS22.

This comes and goes with my installs. May be related to settings, angle of light (time of day), angle of view, and absolutely related to speed (distance) at which you are approaching the items. If you come to a stop they stop flashing after a few seconds. But I can run the same route and sometimes it's almost unbearable and sometimes it's not doing it at all or not very much.

Obviously there is some parameter in the config of some trees that causes a miscalculation of a value. It appears that it is an overflow which renders a max brightness value. As others have noted the same route on TRS22 has no such problem - "yet".

I'm afraid not! Trees are still flashing white in several routes (especially in the CRM series) in TRS22 Build 116271, the same as in TRS19.

Good to know. For some reason I haven't come across it since TRS19.

Lucky?

Video drivers?

Is it because the golden orb of special goodness appeared over my house and sprinkled good tree dust on me?

Anyway... getting back to reality here.

I wonder if it depends upon which trees. Back in the Multiplayer Surveyor testing, we had some trees built-in eucalyptus trees do that and Paul Olsen saw it and said that would be taken care of. There are many causes of course ranging from the game-engine to the assets themselves. To me it looks like coplanar faces with some of the trees. This is caused by meshes that are too close to each other which causes the video card to freak out as it attempts to render both meshes that are occupying the same location. The flipping between the two meshes cause the flickering. We see this a lot on some buildings with night-meshes and when placing two identical splines on top of each other. In the latter instance, the way to solve that is to simply move one of the meshes up or down a tiny smidge to separate the two.

Last edited:
I used to have this issue with my WeddinNSW route and some gum trees. Several people who downloaded the route also commented on it. However I no longer see any flashing in TRS19 SP4, and I am not sure at which point it stopped. Some time over that last few updates to either Trainz, or my video drivers (which I keep up to date).

I used to have this issue with my WeddinNSW route and some gum trees. Several people who downloaded the route also commented on it. However I no longer see any flashing in TRS19 SP4, and I am not sure at which point it stopped. Some time over that last few updates to either Trainz, or my video drivers (which I keep up to date).

Exactly my observation as well. That's why I assumed it was fixed. As I said Paul saw it in the MPS project and said they would be fixed. Maybe the pine trees now need the little lick and a promise as well.

Back