Some keyboard controls not working on modified loco

RobKi

I edited the config.txt of an old steam model (<kuid2:142675:500010:1>, trainz-build 2.9) by giving it the enginespec of a newer loco (trainz-build 3.7). It now runs very acceptably, with <kuid:248163:100783> as its enginespec.

When running in realistic mode, I use keyboard letters. I'm not using the numerical keypad. Brake (Q, A), cutoff (F, R), regulator (W), injectors (I, O) all work alright. A couple of keys however are not responding, or are responding in unexpected ways:

• S returns the regulator to 0, instead of taking it back a notch at the time;
  • Spacebar adds coal to the fire only once, leaving the firedoor open, then ceases to respond. Ctrl-rightclick informs me that the loco still has almost 90% of its coal on board. The Coal slider does not appear to have any effect either.

On other steam locos in the same session all keys work as they should. I know that using 2.9 build locos in TANE SP4 is asking for trouble. Still, I would like all keys on the modified loco to work.

Anything I can try? Suggestions would be appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is that the key bindings have changed or are set to default universally or for that loco. I would go into settings and check your key bindings, maybe even check it while in the route menu, then checking again when the modified loco is loaded. If they are different, try setting your key bindings when the loco is active and see what happens.
cheers
Graeme

Thank you, Graeme. I found all the key bindings to have their default values, both with and without this loco present.

Since I am able to drive this loco in cab mode, bearing in mind to use the regulator slider in the corner of the screen, I guess I can live with the non-functioning regulator keys.
The remaining problem is that I cannot shovel coal manually. I have found that leaving the Coal slider at maximum all the time causes the Coal Level to be upped by three or four percent every minute or so. I will try to work with this setting, and try not to burn too much virtual coal!

Thank you, Graeme. I found all the key bindings to have their default values, both with and without this loco present.

Since I am able to drive this loco in cab mode, bearing in mind to use the regulator slider in the corner of the screen, I guess I can live with the non-functioning regulator keys.
The remaining problem is that I cannot shovel coal manually. I have found that leaving the Coal slider at maximum all the time causes the Coal Level to be upped by three or four percent every minute or so. I will try to work with this setting, and try not to burn too much virtual coal!
Sorry I started a reply sometime ago but sidetracked it while I tried out the loco to see how it behaved.

The cab (interior) script handles most the key strokes for the loco controls. So I suspect some problem with that script maybe causing the problem

The firebox plates (doors) in Auran/N3V default steam cabin script will open when the spacebar is used to add fuel to the firebox however they don't close automatically. With their script the doors are closed (automatically) if an animated fireman is included with the model and he is activated when the spacebar is hit. I note that the Bad-le uses a custom version of Auran's original cab script and it like the original won't close the doors automatically after the spacebar is hit. I wrote some custom cab scripts based on the original script by Auran and I used a separate thread in my versions to add some sounds and a delay before I shut the doors when no animated fireman is included in the model.

You should be able to close the doors manually with the numeral 1 key on the numeric keypad - it should act as a toggle - but it doesn't seem to work on the Bad-le even though there is some code for it in the script. I tried several other locos and it works with them. Not sure what is going on there but I didn't do more that look thru the script - no further testing or debugging done on my part.

Bottom line - while most of the key presses for the controls (reverser, injectors, brakes, blower, sander) seem to work in cab mode there appears to be problems with the regulator up key (w), the regulator down key (s) and the add-fuel key (spacebar). W key doesn't work to open the regulator at all. S key closes the regulator to 0% if it is open any amount (the w key also closes it if it is open and that is opposite its correct behavior). The spacebar only works the 1st time you press it - gives approx 1% increase in coal level and opens the firedoors. As I stated these key presses are handled by the script referenced in the the cab interior asset used by the loco.

The loco is a steam tank loco and the fuel and water queues definitions in the config look ok.

Sorry can't be more helpful. I though something might jump out at me with a quick look thru the script but it didn't.

Bob Pearson

Back