First Impressions of the Bighorn Sub

TrainMan12

I see the detail / texture is minimalistic. By the way, that is not a bad thing. I would finish all base boards like this, make the trains run right, observe the frame rate, then consider adding more detail.

awaiting your request...

:cool: Yes, I can offer what I've researched.

The First Name in Bighorn Sub. railroading, is... Al Krug. There is the map, timetable, and grade profile charts, click the link to see them. There are tons of pictures, taken by Al.

Here's the Bighorn Sub. map...

And the grade profile, by milepost...

Been to Al's site tonnes for research, and his storys are interesting. Thanks anyways though! Is there anything though that I'm doing wrong with the route? Like texturing, trees..ect..ect?

I see the detail / texture is minimalistic. By the way, that is not a bad thing. I would finish all base boards like this, make the trains run right, observe the frame rate, then consider adding more detail.

Sorry Fudd, didn't even see that post! I'm up for making it more detailed. But, the Satelite Imagery shows very few trees there, and photos show it to be a grassland. Besides adding 3D grasses I don't know what more I can do, and that would sloughter any computer. If you know the Crawford Hill route, it has very few details, except trees. I tried to make my route look like Crawford since apparently that's what the Wyoming grasslands look like in Trainz. But hey, I might be and probably am wrong. If you have any ideas let me know!

I was thinking primarily of the river's shore line and perhaps the color of the water. I am sensitive to this since I had a problem with this with my Niles and Hinton, on the Download Station.

I am actually redoing the Crawford Hill route. I do not think it looks too great texturewise. Maybe try to do something like this.

lee_sub1.jpg

I did that a long time ago but I think it looks a little better than the example you are goin by.

good luck Jordan,

Steve

Thanks! Great looking route, I guess I just don't have that route building talent. Or maybe it's because I just want to run it, not build it. Anyways, I'll try adding more textures. One more thing, this is a link to one of the Photo Essays on Al Krug's site. Scroll down to the one with the Oakway SD60s passing by. That's Lodge Grass, Montana, and is one of the few heavily treed areas along the subdivision. I've spent probably 20 mins on the DLS looking for trees like those, but no luck. Does anybody have any suggestions?

PS: Those shots make it look awfull! It aint that bad, hehe. Microsoft Image Expert is a joke.

Last edited:
Been to Al's site tonnes for research, and his storys are interesting. Thanks anyways though! Is there anything though that I'm doing wrong with the route? Like texturing, trees..ect..ect?

One thing you could to is to set the scenery tab to randomly rotate your trees, its obvious from the photo that they are all lined up at zero degrees, if you use random this wont be so obvious.

Thats about the only thing I spotted, hope that helps.

...go here...

:cool: I can't say, as that the focus, was trains...not enough data...I don't know the regional plantings.

Here is a route by the venerable 3801...on the DLS kuid2 3801 1001006 2 Crawford Hill.

I downloaded the route, last night. It's a DEM created by fishlipsatwork.

There are bu-coo trees on it, regional to NW Nebraska. Check out the ground textures also. It's an up and downhill route, like I expect from you.

CMP should do the work, I have TRS2004, I created a folder for FTP downloads, and shall use TrainzObjects to install the CDP's.

I found some trees that may work but I am constantly re-treeing it and changing it. 8 boards (2 miles) done so far. The route has many ups and downs that I'll have to level out a bit. I have Crawford Hill, and that's where I got the textures that I'm using mostly now. I'm using a variety of Oaks and Maples on my route. If I can average out a mile per day (Some days I won't be able to do that much, some days I'll be able to do three miles) I think I can get it done by Early-Mid January without rushing.

Last edited:
Back