Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quixel Mixer for PBR texturing?

Default Quixel Mixer for PBR texturing?

Hello.
    Since I don't want to pay for substance, I found this free 3d texturing software called Quixel Mixer. Does anyone have experience with this software and would be able to give me a tutorial on how to texture Trainz meshes using this?
    Thanks,

JBVector

Hi Dundun92
    I have used Mixer for a few assets, and a number of ground textures (it is fantastic for ground texture generation, and for doing 'terrain textures' on 3D models!).

You can only currently do 1 texture at a time in it (ie the mesh cannot have more than 1 texture), so you will need to either UV map the asset to use just 1 texture, or do each texture as a separate export to quixel.

For the maps, you would configure them something like this:

mixer-maps-1.JPG

mixer-maps-2.JPG

For ground textures, you would configure the normals map like so:
    mixer-maps-3.JPG

The results are pretty good, but you really want to build up a collection of 'grunge' type textures that you can overlay onto your paints/etc to get the most from it. Unfortunately unless you can create a good selection of these yourself, you are probably going to need a subscription for Megascans. Mind you, there's some absolutely fantastic textures on there! (let alone the scanned 3D assets)

Regards
    Zec

ZecRail Freelance D1s, Victorian Railways Type 4 DD and Type 4 D1s, and more also available.

Zecrail freeware DLS Content
    All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

Thanks. I'll give it a try!

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

There are tons of tutorials for Mixer on Youtube.

William

You certainly can use Mixer to create the PBR textures and it's pretty easy to use as well - once you have the textures just use GIMP to prepare the albedo and parameter files. You can use the YouTube tutorials to learn how to use it, plenty of info on creating PBR materials is available in the Trainz Wiki.

As noted you can only texture one mesh at a time (at the moment), but you can work with this limitation. Note, however, you will need a computer with considerable grunt to use Mixer effectively, an i3 laptop with Intel graphics is not going to cut it. Even my 6 year old desktop with an i7 and a GTX970 is just about useable...

Some examples:

Paul
    Last edited by paulhobbs; November 23rd, 2020 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhobbs View Post
    You certainly can use Mixer to create the PBR textures and it's pretty easy to use as well - once you have the textures just use GIMP to prepare the albedo and parameter files. You can use the YouTube tutorials to learn how to use it, plenty of info on creating PBR materials is available in the Trainz Wiki.

As noted you can only texture one mesh at a time (at the moment), but you can work with this limitation. Note, however, you will need a computer with considerable grunt to use Mixer effectively, an i3 laptop with Intel graphics is not going to cut it. Even my 6 year old desktop with an i7 and a GTX970 is just about useable...

Some examples:

Paul
    Thanks. I have a i5 4690, 1tb SSD, 16GB DDR3, and a GTX 1060, and it works pretty smooth with 4096k textures, but not 8k.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhobbs View Post

Some examples:

Paul
    I rather like this one. Is it available?

Thanks John

Yes. It looks so cute. And would it be available without buffers and with knuckle couplings? We, "The North American Short Line Switching Fraternity", need something like that to work our little yards.

Phil

Blog Entries

Very nice Paul!

I'd definitely recommend playing with the export settings, so you don't need to edit your textures in Gimp. Saves a lot of time to use the presets to export to Trainz ready formats.

The exception is the displacement map. It exports 'centered', which is fine for ground textures, but for meshes it makes it push in more than you'll want... For those, you'll need to adjust the displacement map so that the 'highest' point in it is at 255,255,255.

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    I rather like this one. Is it available?
    It's one of the locos included with PLL with PBR materials added.
    Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Yes. It looks so cute. And would it be available without buffers and with knuckle couplings? We, "The North American Short Line Switching Fraternity", need something like that to work our little yards.
    I can do a version without buffer and with knuckle couplers but it would be a bit on the small side for North America.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ZecMurphy View Post
    I'd definitely recommend playing with the export settings, so you don't need to edit your textures in Gimp. Saves a lot of time to use the presets to export to Trainz ready formats.
    Thanks for that Zec, it is indeed possible to get Quixel Mixer to create the parameter file directly and to have it saved in the asset directory which saves a lot of time. Once again pretending I know what I'm doing has resulted in a useful tip on how to do things better...

Paul

This is all great! Can't wait to start texturing later today. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    Hello.
    Since I don't want to pay for substance, I found this free 3d texturing software called Quixel Mixer. Does anyone have experience with this software and would be able to give me a tutorial on how to texture Trainz meshes using this?
    Thanks,

JBVector
    If you are a student or if anyone in your household is a student, the Substance suite is free and renewable yearly.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC1 View Post
    If you are a student or if anyone in your household is a student, the Substance suite is free and renewable yearly.

John

True but there is a fairly large investment in time to learn the product and what happens when the course is finished?

Cheerio John

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    True but there is a fairly large investment in time to learn the product and what happens when the course is finished?

Cheerio John
    Typical collage is two & four years??

John