Asset texturing problem

RejectedSpike

Hello, All

I created a concrete slab with a ramp and a wooden vehicle guard on one side. In creating the texture for this asset, I combined the wood texture and the concrete texture into one albedo panel, processing the texture to create the required PBR frames. I use the Materialize app to process the texture and the problem is that the concrete material is different from the wood material and I'm unable to apply different factors to the two materials to make them stand out individually. I have to settle for a flat image that does not give a natural appearance. How do I solve this problem, please.

As an aside and somewhat related, in searching for an answer, on the download station I happened to come across an asset that had a set of eight PBR textures applied to what appeared to be three individual LOD meshes. I have no idea how one goes about applying eight sets of PBR textures to one asset mesh. All my attempts to do the same, failed.

I gave up . . .

Anyway, thank you for your attention,
All responses are welcome!

Cheers,

Rejected Spike

As an aside and somewhat related, in searching for an answer, on the download station I happened to come across an asset that had a set of eight PBR textures applied to what appeared to be three individual LOD meshes. I have no idea how one goes about applying eight sets of PBR textures to one asset mesh. All my attempts to do the same, failed.
Hello RejectedSpike,

The easiest way to go about creating PBR textures would be with a program such as Substance Painter but that can be out of the price range of a good amount of creators. Materialize works decently well to make PBR textures from a flat image. I would personally recommend taking your initial images and creating the materials with them first. One thing to keep in mind is that the roughness map (called the smoothness map in Materialize) is inverted of what it should be in Trainz (black in Materialize is completely rough, while white is completely rough in Trainz).

Trainz reads materials with certain naming extensions that can be found here. In your case you will most likely be using inserthere.m.pbrmetal. In the case that you have multiple types of surfaces on one texture by taking the maps created previously and joining them together in the correct way, you will use the same material for every object in the scene with those required textures. If you are using individual materials then as far as I know you will need to have the objects separated out for each as Trainz cannot have two materials applied to a single object (This is just going off of what I somewhat remember and may not be completely accurate).

Hopefully this helps you some.

Kind regards,
Brougham

Hello, All

I created a concrete slab with a ramp and a wooden vehicle guard on one side. In creating the texture for this asset, I combined the wood texture and the concrete texture into one albedo panel, processing the texture to create the required PBR frames. I use the Materialize app to process the texture and the problem is that the concrete material is different from the wood material and I'm unable to apply different factors to the two materials to make them stand out individually. I have to settle for a flat image that does not give a natural appearance. How do I solve this problem, please.

I gave up . . .

Anyway, thank you for your attention,
All responses are welcome!

Cheers,

Rejected Spike
(this repeats some of what Brougham wrote but I had already typed it up so.... ;))

This is why quite a few creators use tools such as Substance Painter, Quixel, or even the PBR Painter Blender addon. These addons allow you to paint PBR layers including albedo, roughness and metallicity to selected UV islands on the mesh. The results of those layers are "baked" out to whatever textures you need for your game engine.

The values you need are mostly the roughness and metallicity that are both 8 bit greyscale values. In theory you could paint something like a wood grain and concrete roughness in greyscale using some image editor, save as greyscale and combine them, perhaps with GIMP, to make a Trainz parameter texture.

I don't know what logic Materialize uses to create some of those maps. Sometimes it works OK but other times not so well.
Substance Painter is expensive. Quixel, I think, is free, but I believe there are some conditions of use. PBR Painter is not expensive and Cayden has some tutorials on that. There are other Blender addons such as BPainter, Fluent Materializer, and Ravage.

One tool I like is Bake Wrangler that will do all sorts of bakes in Blender including a Trainz parameter formatted texture. Also does hi to low poly normals bakes. It isn't a paint tool but if you have created a PBR material in Blender using a Principled BSDF Shader then it will bake out the right textures for you.

Most of the Blender addons I mentioned can be found on Blender Market. Blender Market often runs sales of some items so if you are interested watch out for those. I think there is a Black Friday sale coming up.

I don't know the answer to your last question/comment. I've used different materials for different parts of a mesh but those different parts only had one material allocated and each had their own UV map.

Back