Unrestored rolling stock

PortLineParker

UK Route Builder
Hi all,

Just a quick question; how easy would it be to have a bogey or an underframe as an item of rolling stock?

Around heritage railways you often see sidings of bogies or carriage underframes that haven't yet been restored which add an interesting dynamic to it; it gives you the feeling that the railway as a whole is a very much work in progress and will continue as time and funds permit. I haven't yet seen anything like this for Trainz but would be interested to know if it can be done?

Cheers,

PLP

I took a small shunting locomotive and made it into a scenery item by modifying the parts.

<kuid:124863:100198> 44Tonner NYO&W bogey --- Scenery
<kuid:124863:100197> IndustRail 44tonner 11 ---- Scenery

Here's the config.txt for the bogey I cloned.

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:124863:100198>
category-region-0                       "US"
category-era-0                          1940
[B]category-class                          "BR"[/B]
[B]kind                                    "scenery"[/B]

mesh-table
{
  {
    mesh                                "44tonner nyo&w_bogey.im"
    auto-create                         1
  }
}
username                                "44Tonner NYO&W_bogey --- Scenery"
author                                  "Adam Gase & John Citron"
organisation                            "Cumberland Shops, Cincinnati Southern Railway Corp."
contact-email                           " "
contact-website                         " "
license                                 "To drive.  If it was a license to kill, I'd be making movies right now."
asset-filename                          "new asset"

kuid-table
{
}

I then place the chassis on top of the bogie in Surveyor and align the parts to make the locomotive again. I usually place the model on a short piece of track.

I did do a check through my installed assets, and it appears that Edh6 has made some narrow gauge bogies that may work for you.

I took a small shunting locomotive and made it into a scenery item by modifying the parts.

<kuid:124863:100198> 44Tonner NYO&W bogey --- Scenery
<kuid:124863:100197> IndustRail 44tonner 11 ---- Scenery

Here's the config.txt for the bogey I cloned.

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:124863:100198>
category-region-0                       "US"
category-era-0                          1940
[B]category-class                          "BR"[/B]
[B]kind                                    "scenery"[/B]

mesh-table
{
  {
    mesh                                "44tonner nyo&w_bogey.im"
    auto-create                         1
  }
}
username                                "44Tonner NYO&W_bogey --- Scenery"
author                                  "Adam Gase & John Citron"
organisation                            "Cumberland Shops, Cincinnati Southern Railway Corp."
contact-email                           " "
contact-website                         " "
license                                 "To drive.  If it was a license to kill, I'd be making movies right now."
asset-filename                          "new asset"

kuid-table
{
}

I then place the chassis on top of the bogie in Surveyor and align the parts to make the locomotive again. I usually place the model on a short piece of track.

I did do a check through my installed assets, and it appears that Edh6 has made some narrow gauge bogies that may work for you.

I've done the same with ThreeHeadedMonkey's RoadRailers and Bogies/End Platforms ... talk about a time-consuming endeavor (to create a RoadRailer terminal that can handle two 125 trailer Trains) schwooooo.

Edit: To further my thought, the two lines of the Config file that determine what an asset is, and how it is handled are the 4th and 5th lines of the Code that Jcitron psted, very slightly bold text:
- "category-class" and "kind" ..These defenitions can be found in the Tainz Wiki (link at top of page).

Once you clone the asset, and apply your own KUID number, you'll change the category-class and kind to that of the proper Scenery type, then you can delete any reference to the dependancies required by an Engine or Rolling stock, such as Cab, Engine Sound, Horn, Interior, Bogey, and any Queues/Commodities, as your new static scenery can not load any products. You can also delete the Lights and/or Smoke references ...It'll be trial and error at first, but once you learn what is and is not required by each category-class, it will become much simpler. Alternately, you can work backwards, and clone a scenery item, then replace the .im mesh, and it's required textures, then change the reference lines in the Config.txt file to those of the new .im mesh ..again, a learning curve exists, expect errors, do not get discouraged.

Last edited:
Around heritage railways you often see sidings of bogies or carriage underframes that haven't yet been restored which add an interesting dynamic to it; it gives you the feeling that the railway as a whole is a very much work in progress and will continue as timeand funds permit. I haven't yet seen anything like this for Trainz but would be interested to know if it can be done?

Hi PLP. I like the idea of to-be-restored bits and pieces scattered around the yard of a preservation railway. The easiest way to go about it would be to create a new asset, and in the mesh table, reference the bogey KUID via "mesh-asset", then directly reference the name of the bogey mesh(es).

I'm not sure on how to extract the chassis itself, though, unless the chassis is its own separate mesh.

search "297 static" on the DLS. I have used those cars to fill out rail yards I'd never actually drive in as scenery. They work well and since they aren't cars they don't tap into the physics system.

I've done the same with ThreeHeadedMonkey's RoadRailers and Bogies/End Platforms ... talk about a time-consuming endeavor (to create a RoadRailer terminal that can handle two 125 trailer Trains) schwooooo.

I can well imagine, wipes brow, because each bogie has to be aligned properly and then the chassis has to be put on top of the separate trucks. This small steam loco I did the same with was a pain.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2017-07-09 011733.jpg
    2017-07-09 011733.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for the suggestions all; I'm going to give EverTrainz's method a go as that sounds closest to the items I'm after but I'll also have a play around with the other ideas and see how it pans out!

Cheers,

PLP

Hi all,

Just a quick question; how easy would it be to have a bogey or an underframe as an item of rolling stock?

Around heritage railways you often see sidings of bogies or carriage underframes that haven't yet been restored which add an interesting dynamic to it; it gives you the feeling that the railway as a whole is a very much work in progress and will continue as time and funds permit. I haven't yet seen anything like this for Trainz but would be interested to know if it can be done?

Cheers,

PLP

If you're after UK stock then some of mine have a top over a chassis. Just leave the top off in the config.txt file.

Look for 17_5 wagons, early detailed wooden frame, early detailed for a start.

Cheerio John

Back