Why does Trainz 2019 keep crashing to desktop on some of my custom routes?

janathan

I spent over $2,000.00 for a gaming PC in hopes that I could finally run Trainz 2019 without it randomly crashing when running some of my automated railfanning routes, but I'm still getting the issue. For perspective, the PC in the following link is the one I bought (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V2BKVR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) It has a Core i9 Processor, 32GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Graphics Processor, and Windows 10.
I don't think I'm wrong to assume I should be able to run Trainz 2019 on ULTRA settings with no lag.
So why is it that whenever I run this route (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pzvKYw3E5Y) the game-- without warning-- suddenly crashes to desktop after playing it for a completely random amount of time? Sometimes it closes after LESS THAN 30 SECONDS of gameplay, sometimes after a minute, sometimes after 15 minutes. There's literally no pattern to this. This and at least one other custom route that I've tested give me this problem.

The closest thing to a pattern I can find is that a train is always either stopped at a red signal or moving. There is always at least one train in view or near the camera. There is always a railroad crossing nearby, but this crossing doesn't necessarily need to be on to cause the game to crash. (In the above video I linked, the game crashed after 30 seconds and the crossing wasn't even activated.) The train is either stopped, moving slowly, moving at a medium speed or moving at maximum speed. Sometimes, I'm nowhere near a crossing. I'll just be either free roaming or riding a freight train and all of a sudden, silence and desktop. It happens so fast, blink and desktop.

Let's talk frame rate. In the video I linked above, the frame rate is always between 22fps and 30 fps before the game crashes. In rare occasions, 12 fps. But on my new gaming PC, it's usually between 22fps and 30fps when the game crashes. On my older laptop, this route would crash even in the lowest settings, despite a constant 30fps. And I know this isn't an overheating issue because both my laptop AND my gaming PC are cold as ice when the game crashes. Ironically, my laptop gets really hot and the game never crashes except on this and three other custom routes I built.

Oh, and another pattern. All these routes were previously made on T:ANE and imported to Trainz 2019. I tried making a new route in Trainz 2019 and merging it with the older route. This fixed the problem in my Outer Banks Bullet Train route, but not on any of my other custom routes.

I uploaded the route in the above video to the DLS in hope that someone who's more tech-savvy than me can get to the bottom of just what happens when this route crashes and why no matter how much money I spend on a new PC, this problem still persists. The kuid numbers for the route and session are <kuid2:140046:100090:1> and <kuid2:140046:100723:1> respectively.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Content, a bad script somewhere, a conflict between scripts.

A good example:

pguy's Quick Portal Manger and related dependency. Ensure you have the version installed for T:ANE and up and not the one for TS12. If you have the old one, this can cause problems, and having both will also cause a CTD. I ran into this issue a couple of weeks ago and I really thought everything was hosed.

There's an issue with Enhanced Interlocking towers. Ensure you have the latest version. The older ones caused instant crashes to the desktop as was found with the Horacifithers' route and probably countless others.

NVidia drivers have been crap lately. They recently released a hotfix to solve some random crashing. You may want to ensure you have the latest drivers.

What you might want to try is setting up a fresh database by creating an empty folder and pointing to that in the Install tab.

If that works, then it's definitely content-related.

You can then install any payware and then import assets slowly to determine what is causing the crash, or forget everything in that old install and import only what you need for your routes.

Heat can be an issue too. If you haven't already, ensure your vents and fans are clean. This will become a bigger problem as we move closer to the warmer months.

I think it might actually be a conflict between scripts. After going through the dependencies and viewing the asset versions, I found several versions of the ATLS controller installed as well as a signal and traffic light. I'll test the route again after cleaning out the clutter and see if that fixes it.

I'm running TS19 on an i5 (4.2 GHz overclocked) with a rtx 2060, I'll need to check you route/session, but I'm generally getting >30 FPS...

I'm assuming that you've added the Trainz files to the virus exclusion list?
It's possible that a significant delay could cause problems...

Another possibility is the GPU power/temperatures. I've used Thundermaster and Afterburner (choose your favourite!), Both will have customisable fan speeds profiles for the gpu. My 2060 runs at 60C with 70% fans, sounds a bit like it's spooling up for take- off!

Cheers,
Colin

I think it might actually be a conflict between scripts. After going through the dependencies and viewing the asset versions, I found several versions of the ATLS controller installed as well as a signal and traffic light. I'll test the route again after cleaning out the clutter and see if that fixes it.
It's likely that database maintenence is needed. Run the out of date filter in CM and download updates (anything other than installed from DLS needs to be updated via view asset versions, in a new window) Delete any non built in obsoletes and run a DBR. It will remove one potential cause of problems.
cheers
Graeme

Well I just tested the route this morning and I'm still getting the same issue. Also, when I start the session, I get a message saying "Car Management Traffic Management System. Select day." I selected "day 1" to see what would happen and the game crashed almost instantly (within seconds). I tried again and selected "day 7" and the game crashed after 15 minutes. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but this game is really frustrating me right now. This route gave me absolutely no problems on T:ANE. I could run it for over an hour and a half with no problems.

It could be CMTM, check to see that you have the latest version since it was just fixed recently.

Not sure why you are using old CMTM3 portals. You don't seem to be using the CMTM system in the session and the script within the portal asset is causing the message you are seeing at the beginning of the session. The CMTM3 portals haven't been working properly since the initial TANE versions (trains may be emitted, but they don't have drivers). Try just using a basic portal and see what happens.

I tried the session and just closed the opening question about which day to choose. The session ran fine for me in Trainz+ 106618 for several minutes, but there were some missing assets not found on the DLS including the loco used be a couple of drivers.

I am also getting a lot of random CTDs which cause automatic DBrebuilds. Frustrating since they aren't reproducible and so there is no sensible bug to be reported.

Okay. I'll try replacing the portals later and see what happens. I'm not sure why I was using them in the first place. I usually use Re-rail portals.

Replacing the portals seems to have done it. Also, some more hunting and I found another obsolete item installed that may also have been causing a script conflict. After deleting it, the route was a little bit more stable. Thanks for your help.

I have been Having the same problem whenever any train goes over 49Mph with no warning it just crashes to my desktop this can happen on any route, I have been optimizing my laptop downloading the latest drivers and more but no luck, and when the an engine with slow puffing of fast puffing sounds going at 16mph or 33mph it will still crash I have never seen this in T:ANE but Ever since I got TRS19 this has been happening today I uncoupled and engine from its freight and the same thing has happened it also might happen when I switch to a different engine And if I don't change the enginespec to "default car" on anything that moves the puffing noises will crash the game too.
If anyone can please tell me a solution. Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G four Cores four threads Graphics: AMD RX Vega 3 12GB DDR4 2400Mhz Ram 9.94 Usable

I have been Having the same problem whenever any train goes over 49Mph with no warning it just crashes to my desktop this can happen on any route, I have been optimizing my laptop downloading the latest drivers and more but no luck, and when the an engine with slow puffing of fast puffing sounds going at 16mph or 33mph it will still crash I have never seen this in T:ANE but Ever since I got TRS19 this has been happening today I uncoupled and engine from its freight and the same thing has happened it also might happen when I switch to a different engine And if I don't change the enginespec to "default car" on anything that moves the puffing noises will crash the game too.
If anyone can please tell me a solution. Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G four Cores four threads Graphics: AMD RX Vega 3 12GB DDR4 2400Mhz Ram 9.94 Usable

Please report this one to the helpdesk. N3V is working on this issue.

There is something definitely unstable about TRS19 (build 106618).

I use a test route that has nothing on it but a PBR ground texture of my own to see how buildings I design work and function.

In surveyor edit mode for that route I find that sometimes if I try to add an item from the Objects tab (ie; F3) or try to move an existing item soon after placing it TRS19 does a CTD. This is sporadic but very irritating.

I have done numerous database rebuilds and made sure everything was updated but nothing has changed and I still get random CTDs. I did not have this problem in earlier versions of TRS19.

Bob

There is something definitely unstable about TRS19 (build 106618).

I use a test route that has nothing on it but a PBR ground texture of my own to see how buildings I design work and function.

In surveyor edit mode for that route I find that sometimes if I try to add an item from the Objects tab (ie; F3) or try to move an existing item soon after placing it TRS19 does a CTD. This is sporadic but very irritating.

I have done numerous database rebuilds and made sure everything was updated but nothing has changed and I still get random CTDs. I did not have this problem in earlier versions of TRS19.

Bob

Check the PBR textures and ensure they are up-to-date in particular those by Johnnyc1. He had an issue that caused CTDs for some users.

I've been lucky so far, but I have had CTDs related to assets and scripts. I will say that none of your assets have crashed on me.

Check the PBR textures and ensure they are up-to-date in particular those by Johnnyc1. He had an issue that caused CTDs for some users.

I've been lucky so far, but I have had CTDs related to assets and scripts. I will say that none of your assets have crashed on me.

No this PBR texture was my own. I always test my stuff before uploading to the DLS.

Bob

I have been building a route in TRS2019 and am now running it. Example: I start out with a pre-programmed three passenger car local to run an out and back from the main yard. While it is out, I build a short freight with reefers for delivery to my seaside village. The freight leaves just as the passenger can be seen returning. My freight reaches the village and backs down the siding and....CRASH! No rhyme or reason and the crash is entirely at random. On my iMac the crash can be when it is just the passenger cruising along and a black shade comes across the screen and you can hear the loco chuffing in the dark. Other times the crash is a major lockup where I had a hell of a time getting my iMac cleared up. ‘Tis a puzzlement!

I have been building a route in TRS2019 and am now running it. Example: I start out with a pre-programmed three passenger car local to run an out and back from the main yard. While it is out, I build a short freight with reefers for delivery to my seaside village. The freight leaves just as the passenger can be seen returning. My freight reaches the village and backs down the siding and....CRASH! No rhyme or reason and the crash is entirely at random. On my iMac the crash can be when it is just the passenger cruising along and a black shade comes across the screen and you can hear the loco chuffing in the dark. Other times the crash is a major lockup where I had a hell of a time getting my iMac cleared up. ‘Tis a puzzlement!

Hi John,

Lower your shadows and see if that works. It could be a vide card or driver issue.

I was having that issue with Alma Valley, and finally I removed a tree I had substituted for a payware tree Dave Snow had used. Problem solved. It doesn't CTD anymore. Any asset like that could cause it, but I don't know how to track it down...

I was having that issue with Alma Valley, and finally I removed a tree I had substituted for a payware tree Dave Snow had used. Problem solved. It doesn't CTD anymore. Any asset like that could cause it, but I don't know how to track it down...

It's all done through the process of elimination. Disable a bunch of dependencies at a time. Go back and open the route and test. If it works, close it, enable those assets, disable another bunch, repeat the test, and continue. This process, to be warned, can be a long slog if there's a lot of assets on a route which is usually the case as we know.

A lot of times, with assets such as the tree, this can be quite painful. In another thread on a similar subject, or it could even be this one above somewhere, I mentioned a big route I had in TS12 that would crash only if I looked in a particular direction, or stuttered horribly if I looked the other way. Once I got past that point, everything was fine. I discovered the problem when I was replacing trees for transfer to T:ANE. I selected that tree, and the tree disappeared and the route crashed. I eventually replaced the tree very quickly before the crash, and the route ran fine.

That is very interesting about a single tree being the problem. I have to remind myself that any item is just a data point that may cause the problem. Today I did a bit of cleanup and the freight car drop off went fine. That's a good point about shadowing affecting the video card, I'll double check and remove shadowing, if it is active.

Back