TRS19 SAP U.S. Track and build 106618

horacefithers

I'm not sure, but I think I'm seeing places where the circle at the points of a turnout (made with TRS19 SAP track) is RED instead of white or yellow.

I addition to the ever popular lets have the rails at a different height at the frog problem which causes PBR track to fail to form a nice set of turnout guard rails, wing rails, and frog point,
I'm also seeing places where I have some non PBR track (streetrun girder track) attached to one or more routes of the PBR turnout.

The solution to these seems to be to add a certain length of TRS19 SAP track beyond the frog. The amount required seems to change depending on the turnout's lead length. A short turnout needs less. A long turnout needs more.

Additionally I had some very long crossovers in the trackage at Salem on my BC&SJ route and the points circles on the crossover were red. I needed to significantly reduce the length of the crossover over what worked in 105100 to get the turnout point circles to become yellow or white. No amount of tweaking elevations in these turnouts would solve the problem.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Inquiring minds need to know...

Horace Fithers

Yes, I was having issues placing high speed turnouts too. It appears that if the angle is too small,the procedural process can't form a proper turnout, the guard rails are missing and my circles don't become red. But on a perhaps related note, I've lost the blade animation. The red / green arrows still work and trains take the appropriate track. All this in 105100
You didn't mention which track so I just picked one, the TRS19 SAP Track US 132LB SG, FB, TP with Spikes, Rusty

Last edited:
Martin, yes, that is one of the tracks I was seeing issues with.

I don't recall seeing these issues with 105100. However, track that seemed to be OK (iirc) in that build was giving me problems in 106618.

When you say "all this in 10510" are you saying that you saw these problems in 105100?

Horace

You were just lucky before. This has occurred for me in earlier versions as well. As Goldie Locks says (paraphrased), "They have to be just right".

The thing that disturbs me is that I don't recall the red circles on turnout points when I was looking at this area in 105100, but in 106612 there they are.
Apparently the code for PBR turnout synthesis changed?
This sort of thing doesn't bode well for any route that uses procedural track. If this is true turnouts might be good in this build but have problems in the next - a real maintenance nightmare.

HF

HF,

I am thoroughly enjoying running about on your unbelievable route. I have replaced the track with the recently uploaded JR tracks. The reasons are to eliminate the moire, eliminate the ballast running away at changing lod distances, and potential turnout problems. I find that the track does not become the primary point of my focus once there are no behavior problems as described. I don't miss the operating points that much. I hope you are not offended, just my preferences.

Pitkin

HF,
-snip- I have replaced the track with the recently uploaded JR tracks. The reasons are to eliminate the moire, eliminate the ballast running away at changing lod distances, and potential turnout problems. -snip-
Pitkin

May I ask the name (or kuid) of the JR track you are happy with? The moire and "running away" drive me crazy too. And on several routes.

Thanks..

May I ask the name (or kuid) of the JR track you are happy with? The moire and "running away" drive me crazy too. And on several routes.

Thanks..

I use the JR Dk Grey (some are also dirty or terrain or weathered). I suggest going into CM and searching "JR", category track, and build 3.6 or higher. You can create a route and just lay a few feet of track and see what you like.

Pitkin

Last edited:
I use the JR Dk Grey (some are also dirty or terrain or weathered). I suggest going into CM and searching "JR", category track, and build 3.6 or higher. You can create a route and just lay a few feet of track and see what you like. In the BCSJ, I just noticed some tracks that ended up too close together after a bulk asset replace, but easy to fix.

Pitkin

Thanks much. Hope I didn't take thread off topic too much. I know there are plenty of threads on "which track" and "best track" and I've tried some with bulk replace, but since you mentioned the same things the bug me I thought I'd ask. I appreciate the reply.

Thanks much. Hope I didn't take thread off topic too much. I know there are plenty of threads on "which track" and "best track" and I've tried some with bulk replace, but since you mentioned the same things the bug me I thought I'd ask. I appreciate the reply.

I guess I took things a little off topic. But the BCSJ is so special that I thought it might help others to enjoy it more.

Too bad then that I removed all the frog-point / crossing guard assets.

As pointed out when I inflicted the BC&SJ on the public, feel free to tweak on it.

HF

Oh... Another reason why I went with procedural track was that the JR track I'd been using (sorry I don't remember what it was off the top of my head) developed lots of "cracks" between the ballast and the subroadbed in the mountains where track was on a grade and PBR textures with lots of 3D came up next to the track.

HF

Oh... Another reason why I went with procedural track was that the JR track I'd been using (sorry I don't remember what it was off the top of my head) developed lots of "cracks" between the ballast and the subroadbed in the mountains where track was on a grade and PBR textures with lots of 3D came up next to the track.

HF

I substituted with JR Dk Grey Dirty (Terrain), and it seems to be filling in okay so far. Haven't run the whole route since.

I found this at a bridge transition. Is this one of the cracks to which you refer?

http://www.trainzportal.com/mytrainz/view_media_post?media_post_id=162923

Pitkin

No, that's just sloppy terrain contouring on my part.

The cracks I refer to are parallel to the tracks where the PBR textures don't mate exactly with the edge of the ballast.
When I was terraforming in the Roberts Creek area I was seeing these when I was using non-PBR track. I tried an experiment and changed a short length of track to PBR and the cracks became *much* less obvious. The cracks changed appearance depending on the viewing angle. They tend to be much more apparent from a low angle than a high one.

I'll try to get a milepost number where I'd expect to see them the next time I'm in the route. Perhaps switch the track back to non-PBR and take comparison screen shots.

I think I was seeing them in the mile or two that is west of Peabody Rock in the Roberts Creek area.

Or perhaps the JR track you're using works better than the one I was using...

HF

No, that's just sloppy terrain contouring on my part.

The cracks I refer to are parallel to the tracks where the PBR textures don't mate exactly with the edge of the ballast.
When I was terraforming in the Roberts Creek area I was seeing these when I was using non-PBR track. I tried an experiment and changed a short length of track to PBR and the cracks became *much* less obvious. The cracks changed appearance depending on the viewing angle. They tend to be much more apparent from a low angle than a high one.

I'll try to get a milepost number where I'd expect to see them the next time I'm in the route. Perhaps switch the track back to non-PBR and take comparison screen shots.

I think I was seeing them in the mile or two that is west of Peabody Rock in the Roberts Creek area.

Or perhaps the JR track you're using works better than the one I was using...

HF

Not necessarily. It's hard to look for something when I don't know what I'm looking for :).

Back