Terrain smoothing tool

autodctr

Is it just me because I am a newbie, or does the smoothing tool really not work very well. I was hoping for it to like fill in the terrain between a high and low area, but all it really does is raise the low area or pull the high level down. I have tried it every way that I can think of, but still find it next to useless.

The right hand tool will level the ground from the point and height you start at. The best way to do the job you want is to place a road boulevard from the high point to the low point. Do this with lots of roads placed and set the spline point at one end on all the roads and use the fill ground tool on each road to give a slope between the two points.

I do use the road trick. However, what I am trying to do right now is a mountain that sits on about 50 baseboards and rises to a height of about 700 meters. There will be a 2 track system winding its way up to the top to a lookout point. I was hoping for an easier way to smooth out the few hundred rough places between the areas where I will use the roadway leveling trick.

A tool to fill in everything between a high and low place would really be useful for this.

The other way to raise the ground is to use the raise ground tool in it's largest setting and keep the left mouse button depressed and sweep fast over the area. this allows the ground to rise less sharply.

Why not the displacement map tool?

Here is the instructions from the TANE wiki.
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Surveyor_Topology_Advanced
Pretty much the same in TRS19 but the scale dial was changed to slider under the map display area.
Warning it can be very slow drawing the fill rectangle over a large number of baseboards.

Or if you have an area done the way you like you can copy and paste the terrain shape to a new area using the tools menu.

William

Last edited:
Back