Is it possible to have realistic level crossing signal behavior

stumper66

It seems that all gates and lights have a set distance that they activate at from a given train. In some routes you are sitting in the yard and the signals are chiming away even though you are far from them.
It would be nice if it were more realistic to where it is activated based upon your speed and distance, so if you're crawling to it they won't activate until really close but if you're moving quickly they were activate from afar. Also if they activate but then you come to a stop away from the crossings they would deactivate.

Look at the ATLS and TRC systems. With ATLS, which I am more familiar with, you place crossing triggers any distance you want from the level crossing and then place a trigger some distance away on the other side. There are various combinations that you can use.

Once the triggers are placed, you setup a slave and a controller and all components are connected together with a piece of track including a traffic stopper that also connects to the roads as well. To activate the components together as a unit, you assign them to a channel. When the train runs, it triggers the gates to do their thing and then go up when the train passes.

TRC system works similar with fewer components.

The other advantage of these modular systems is you can place tracks and roads at virtually any angle and even include a turnout in the road crossing if you want.

Both Boat and Vincentrh have excellent documentation for setting up these crossings.

You can also download the advanced ATLS demo which demonstrates many different ways to set up situations like what you want. There is a small yard operation and also a train stops in front of a crossing at the station without activating the crossing.

I have used the ATLS and found them to work exactly how I wanted in T:ANE. It sounds a little complicated at first, but once you step through it it all makes sense and works very well.

I use the my level crossing rule from the DLS. It works with atls made crossings, but at the same time, it acts like the trc crossings

Cheers

Back