Grade Crossing Question

jeff1959

I have a rather crowded slow speed industrial area on my route. The grade crossings go off WAY to quickly. At the speeds the trains are traveling, there is too long of time between the crossing firing and the train arriving. Maximum speed in this area is only 15mph. Is there a way to reduce the detection distance? Most of these crossings are only lights with no gates. Thank you.

You don't mention the type of crossing, so it's difficult to give an answer. However, for ATLS just move the triggers closer, for a one pice with built in triggers you could try the asset properties. I'm not at all familiar with TRC crossings so can't help with those.

The TRC crossing controls are quicker and easier to set up than the ATLS. (They work with most but not all crossings, however.) Give them a try.
* You will need at least one TRC trigger per crossing (I prefer to use two.)
* Give each controlled crossing a unique name as shown in the TRC trigger settings page.
* Set one or two triggers (if two, one on either side) within 5 meters of the crossing and name each trigger per the instructions.
* Set the trigger radius to 100 meters for 15 MPH.
* If more than one track through the crossing, protect each track with triggers.
That's all there is to it.
Why two triggers? If operating with cab control, cutting the throttle while in the trigger radius may turn the lights or gates off. If you only run with DCC, just use one trigger.

:B~)

Please note these little corrections :
- typically, you need to place just one TRC trigger per crossing and per track (a crossing with one track means one trigger, a crossing with two tracks means two triggers,etc...)
- with the last version of TRC trigger, you no longer need to adjust the radius : the script does the job for you, taking into account the speed of the approaching train (which should be of great interest to jeff1959)

I didn't experienced the exception quoted by RHKluckhohn...may be he is right ?

Vincent

Thanks, Vincent. I have tested that in TANE with a couple of different locomotives on my updated Marias Pass Approach route and it does happen each time when operating with the cab controls. As noted, it does not occur when the loco controlled with DCC. I did not test using an AI driver but I suspect it would not occur then either. I have since simplified the crossing where it was most noticeable and will try some more tests. For reference, I am using <kuid2:458053:100686:12> TRC 3 Trigger for closure of rail crossing, build 4.5, which should be appropriate for TANE, yes?

Hi RHKluckhohn

I did some tests, and the problem you mention didn't occur. To be exact, I run the tests under Trainz 2019. May be with T:ANE it could happen, but I can't verify that.

Vincent

Hi RHKluckhohn

I did some tests, and the problem you mention didn't occur. To be exact, I run the tests under Trainz 2019. May be with T:ANE it could happen, but I can't verify that.

Vincent

Well, that's one of the penalties of staying in T:ANE, I guess. I can confirm that in realistic mode in T:ANE, approaching a single trigger from the pointy end and cutting the throttle causes the crossing to open unless/until throttle is reapplied. Additionally, at a multi-track crossing, the gates will remain closed until another train passes, at which point the crossing clears. So I keep the driver command Close Crossing ready and apply as needed, unreal though it be.

I really appreciate having the crossing setting save with the session. Thank you.

Back