Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bathurst to Lithgow Route

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
    Now the question is, can I link to my own video on youtube... If so it's a short take leaving Locksley and heading towards Bathurst, showing a section where the track was being re-aligned and double tracked.

https://youtu.be/VdhoqOMf_Lw
    Nicely done. Keep up the great work on this route.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Thanks. I've just got to the outskirts of Bathurst and am pleased with the way it's going. However I've just discovered the bridge over the MacQuarie River is single tracked and only replaced about 1999 having been built about 1870. It is of such unique design that nothing I've found on the DLS even comes close. I shall keep looking.

Thanks. I've just got to the outskirts of Bathurst and am pleased with the way it's going. However I've just discovered the bridge over the MacQuarie River is single tracked and only replaced about 1999 having been built about 1870. It is of such unique design that nothing I've found on the DLS even comes close. I shall keep looking.

From memory, the Bathurst railway bridge was similar in design to the Como bridge which was a single track.

Google maps (not Google Earth) showed me these images of Bathurst bridge.

I'll see what I can find.

Cheers,
    Roy

Here's one of 3801 crossing the Como bridge. The bridge design is similar.

I haven't been able to find one on the DLS, so you may have to improvise with a bridge kit support spline or rail attachment.

Good luck, cheers,
    Roy
    PS: The closest I could find was .... <kuid2:63290:38069:2> Bridge Howe Pony Truss std and you'd need to add support pylons such as <kuid:387564:1685> Saligny truss pylon 1
    Last edited by Roy3b3; October 30th, 2019 at 11:01 PM.

You got it! I'm told (by a train driver) that there is a similar bridge at MeadowBanks and somewhere else, Como? How very short sighted of State Rail (?) to replace that bridge with another that was only single track as well!? Thanks for the info I seriously appreciate the help.

You got it! I'm told (by a train driver) that there is a similar bridge at MeadowBanks and somewhere else, Como? How very short sighted of State Rail (?) to replace that bridge with another that was only single track as well!? Thanks for the info I seriously appreciate the help.
    You are welcome mate.

I started to make the Como Bridge quite some time ago and I got bogged down and put it aside. At the time I didn't know how to add track objects to the rails, such as bridge piers and overhead supports, etc; but I'll dig it out over the next couple of days and see how it looks. Maybe it can be useful.

I'll keep in touch.

Cheers mate,
    Roy

Default Cowra Rail Bridge

Have a look at KUID2:56603:21026:1
    according to some research built by the same engineers
    The current railway lattice bridges are,

1876 Macquarie River at Bathurst, 1881 Murrumbidgee River at Wagga Wagga,
    1881 Macquarie River at Wellington, 1882 Peel River at Tamworth
    1882 MacDonald River at Woolbrook, 1884 Murray River at Albury
    1884 Macquarie River at Dubbo 1885 Murrumbidgee River at Narrandera
    1887 Lachlan River at Cowra.
    all are heritage listed.
    PG
    Last edited by PGibbons; October 31st, 2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Win10-64bit, Intel I7, 16GB RAM, TANE on SSD.

It may have been Cowra that was mentioned to me, not Cooma. That and Meadowbank over the Parrammatta river (and bathurst) were designed by John Whitton, built in 1886. That Cowra bridge is almost a perfect match, if only it didn't have the two end pieces. It may have to do for now anyway. Maybe I best ask Footplate Phil for a favour given he made it. You folks certainly are a wealth of information.

I was able to put together a bridge that looks something like the old Como Railway Bridge in the Sutherland Shire. It's now a pedestrian walkway.

Firstly, my model of the bridge is in a few parts.

The bridge track gets laid first, followed by the bridge piers and arched supports which are track attachments, are then added.
    Finally the bridge deck spline is positioned to match the arched supports.

It's not perfect but it can be used on any width river.

1. The deck and sides 2. Whatever track 3. Arched support 4. Bridge piers

Although the angle-plating may not be the same as the original, I did it this way to minimize the polys. The pylons are <kuid:387564:1685> Saligny truss pylon 1 on the DLS.

If you wanted the cdps just send me a PM with your email address.

Cheers,
    Roy

Well that happened faster than the bullet train! I don't know what to say, apart from thanks. PM heading your way.

It may have been Cowra that was mentioned to me, not Cooma. That and Meadowbank over the Parrammatta river (and bathurst) were designed by John Whitton, built in 1886. That Cowra bridge is almost a perfect match, if only it didn't have the two end pieces. It may have to do for now anyway. Maybe I best ask Footplate Phil for a favour given he made it. You folks certainly are a wealth of information.

It was an ACT Trainz Modellers collaboration. I only did the 'skin' and config.txt. ad602000 (as credited, a prolific and generous but under acknowledged modeller) was the Gmax author. He still pops by the forums from time to time. Try sending him a PM. It was a long time ago, but you never know, he may stlil have the required files.
    Last edited by FootplatePhil; November 1st, 2019 at 04:47 AM.
    Phil
    'WeddinNSW V4' for TRS2019 and 'WeddinNSW - Young Extension' now on the DLS.

I forgot to mention the 1873-79 bridge over the Murray, where else but at Murray Bridge in SA. Originally dual purpose rail/road but now the main road. I only crossed over it a month back so should have remembered it.
    PG.
    Win10-64bit, Intel I7, 16GB RAM, TANE on SSD.

Here you go Roy, bridge in situ and looking pretty good. Still work to be done.

Another shot further up stream, before I added a river just under the surface of the water towards the bridge. Not completely sure on that move...

If you can use it Alistair, then that's great.

Actually, the bridge doesn't look too bad after all.

Personally, I like the rapids in your river - it's a nice detailing feature. Remember, authors are allowed to create their own world, so keep it up.

Cheers mate,
    Roy