it wants to either over-right the route or save as a new route

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
T:ANE SP3.

I frequently run into this problem of late, where creating a new SESSION, I go to save it and it wants to either over-right the route or save as a new route... This is despite the route (mine) having been uploaded to the DLS and downloaded, AND I have the route layer locked. If I am in a session layer, how is it allowing changes to the route layer when I am not even trying to alter the route? I am guessing that adding something (it may have been invisible track for a horse) is seen as altering existing invisible track?

Surely if the route layer is locked, it should be impossible to alter it? :confused:

You are not altering the route, you are just assigning the route to the session. Because you have a new session it needs to know which route it is attached to.

Even the simple act of locking (or unlocking) the route layer is a change to the route so it will expect to have to save the route again.

In my experience, while editing a session, you can still move something inadvertantly that would require a route change, even with the route layer locked. So, you are warned before saving, and have the option to back out. Best to make frequent small changes and saves.

Well I went with the safer option of backing out and not re-saving the route just encase it stuffed it up for other sessions, although judging by the comments it may not have. I repeated the changes to the partly built session in small steps, saving frequently. Where I connected invisible track to existing invisible track didn't cause a "route save" this time. However on testing the horse crashed at this point! All good for now, so thanks.

Surely if the route layer is locked, it should be impossible to alter it?
You are assuming that the prompt to save or overwrite means that the route has been altered. If it hasn't been altered then you can choose to overwrite, because nothing will change.

Where I connected invisible track to existing invisible track didn't cause a "route save" this time.

That indicates to me that the invisible track is in a session layer and not a route layer. So if you later load the route only (without the session) for editing, the invisible track will not be present.

Back