Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

gMax is no longer being supported / distributed / offered, see the Official Announcement.

I'm not willing to pay 3500 $ for a 3D Studio Max license and am probably going to switch over to Blender.
But I have not heard if the exporters auran is offering are compatible to another modeling Software besides gMax / 3DsMax.
There has also not been any official words from Kuju which modeling Programs will be supported for KRS.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

gMax is no longer being supported / distributed / offered, see the Official Announcement.

I'm not willing to pay 3500 $ for a 3D Studio Max license and am probably going to switch over to Blender.
But I have not heard if the exporters auran is offering are compatible to another modeling Software besides gMax / 3DsMax.
There has also not been any official words from Kuju which modeling Programs will be supported for KRS.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Autodesk / Discreet handed distribution and development of gmax to a company called Turbosquid in 2004 and it has been available on their website ever since. There is also a note on their site stating that game developers should contact them if they wish to create a gmax export plugin, so gmax is far from dead.

3D Canvas will be one of the supported packages, and as the built-in stock was created in 3DS Max I would be surprised if they didn't release the exporters (and hopefully get some gmax ones created in the process).

JB

And Canvas Pro imports .dst files from Train Sim Modeller, which is so foolproof our cat could use it (well, if he had opposable thumbs).

Re KRS, I still have a few concerns but it is on pre-order nonetheless. However with a route currently under development in TRS2004 with a few more ideas in the brainpan following discovery of the delightful Transdem utility the switch may not be so immediate.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is to be a Gmax exporter for KRS. That may have a bearing on how much potential content there is available.

Mike.

Of course, there's tons of content that wasn't created in Gmax in the first place, as in most MSTS content, so that becomes a pretty moot point (I do believe that there's a lot more MSTS 3rd party content than Trainz 3rd party content, though Trainz might be closing in). I do agree that it would be unlikely for them to make an exporter for a program as unsupported as Gmax is.

From my point of view, I am not very interested in running trains in train simulators but may be interesed as regards the functions and how they could be used.

Using Blender but can just about use gmax and any further news regarding plug-ins is still pending .

Apparently there is to be integregated functions for satelite data, using srtm2 data? As I am now well used to creating sailing simulator routes based on srtm2 data that could be interesting in itself as regards creating pre train sceneries for myself.

The water looked "interesting" in the USA screenshots, possibly with a running water effect?

But invisible track and horse drawn canal boats for c1800 could be a tricky one, unless able to use Blender.:).

Barry

Happy sailing. :)

P.S No Apologies if any spelling errors as can just about see half the screen clear with a poorly graphics card.

Blender basic tutorials as always at
http://www.barrywright.clara.net/sailsim.html

Last edited:
You know considering how close to release this is, I'm actually very surprised by the lack of screenshots and info on KUJU's page as well as the sim's page. The video clip is cool but I really would like to seem something more. In truth the video didn't make it look fun or interesting. Graphically it's pretty but I want to know more about what I can do besides looking from different perspectives.

hi All

Their beta exporter from 3DC was released in the last few days, so they are getting there.

BTW if you like videos, check out theirs, apparantly the Black 5 floats (on turntables at least), and has been for the last 6 months. Still lots of work to do yet.

An exporter from GMAX to KRS would do this sim a whole lot of good, they would have access to a lot of content. Not as much as MS but some cool stuff around. Let the content creators do their stuff, and the exportr/importer script gurus do their stuff, I am sure that eventually ALL content will be available to any sim one choses.

Last edited:
Not long know gents to release. only 1 more month :)

Yes:D
My Ubuntu 7.04 (Linux) say 28 days.
Then Amazon send me my copy of KRS.

Today the WEBSITE IS UPDATE!

And for the user here I have a question:

What do you understand about this:
"Free-roam experience.
If you prefer a more leisurely approach, free-roam allows to you explore the routes at your own pace."

This can you find here: http://www.railsimulator.com/About-Rail-Simulator
Point 7.

Is that the free camera what we have in Trainz?
What would you say?

Thank's

Free roam = Explore mode, i.e drive the train wherever you want and switch whichever points you like.

Cheers,

JB

EA now have some screenshots up.

http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/11527,pccd/Screenshots/

To be honest these are a tad disappointing. As I just posted over at UKTS, at least one of these is from the original artist's impression which is nothing like how the new sim looks. They are poor quality jpg's to be sure, but the texture on that grey house in the steam shot is very blurry and not IMHO commercial level quality. Actually makes me feel quite good about the amateur textured boxes I produce for my routes.

And I do reckon, with a bit of marketing from Auran and Just Trains, Trainz Classics 3 could contend with this.

I hate to be negative and I guess we won't really know how the sim is or the third party development potential is until in our possession. However it seems the QA and marketing are falling quite far short of that for other EA titles - e.g. The Sims.

Still no system requirments :eek:

Theres gonna be a lot of people not being able to run Krs wonder why thay are holding back the system requirements.

EA now have some screenshots up.

http://www.electronicarts.co.uk/games/11527,pccd/Screenshots/

To be honest these are a tad disappointing. As I just posted over at UKTS, at least one of these is from the original artist's impression which is nothing like how the new sim looks. They are poor quality jpg's to be sure, but the texture on that grey house in the steam shot is very blurry and not IMHO commercial level quality. Actually makes me feel quite good about the amateur textured boxes I produce for my routes.

And I do reckon, with a bit of marketing from Auran and Just Trains, Trainz Classics 3 could contend with this.

I hate to be negative and I guess we won't really know how the sim is or the third party development potential is until in our possession. However it seems the QA and marketing are falling quite far short of that for other EA titles - e.g. The Sims.

Actually, the only thing that's impressed me so far about the EA/Kuju effort is that you can actually see the bridge supports underwater. Of course, there's no telling if this is an actual game shot, or an artists' rendering. On the whole, I'm extremely unimpressed with the job they've done so far of hawking it. It might have some nice features, but it's hard to tell from the crummy website. Hope they've got a demo planned, as I won't be buying it from what I've seen so far.

Actually, the only thing that's impressed me so far about the EA/Kuju effort is that you can actually see the bridge supports underwater. Of course, there's no telling if this is an actual game shot, or an artists' rendering.

Have you played anything else than Trainz lately? I mean, tech has improved a lot.

Realistic water is usual in modern graphics engine. You should play a little to half life 2 (or any with source engine) or even the "old" Far Cry to actually can´t distinguish between ingame shot or a render.

Cheers.
Divi.

121705-pc_railsim_5.jpg

121693-pc_railsim_6.jpg

121704-pc_railsim_4.jpg

Thanks to "dean225" from UK-Trainsim-Forum for post the pictures from EA-UK.

P.S. Here you can find the teaser movie in the best quality. .mov is a Apple Quicktimemovie. I must set the right Contrast/
Brightness
ftp://ftp.germany.ea.com/downloads/video/railsimulator_teaser_su_2.mov

Warning! 98,8 MB. Same Teaser Movie, but a little bit more quality and details.

Last edited:
Back