Wasting Customer Disk Space

Peanuts can be out if the reach of someone who lost their job (Covid) and is now feeding their family from a food-bank. We have miles/kilometers of cars lined up for food all around the USA. Spend $200 for an SSD and the next week you loose your job due to a Covid shutdown order. Recover $100 on eBay. The "soup lines" are back except they are now cars, not men beaten down by the hunger of their families we see in newsreels.

Last edited:
Other software programs uninstall older versions before installing the latest version. Why can't a hotfix/servicepack uninstall obsolete kuids ?

Boleyd... respectfully. You don't really think we don't know that some people are experiencing very hard times, and some, very disheartening and even catastrophic? Forum comments are "general" and should be taken as such. Of course there are people who cannot afford a $200 SSD or even a $100 SSD, or even a $10 mouse. The point was that storage prices are "cheap" and "peanuts" compared to what they used to be and with Trainz, the more storage the more enjoyment.

I hope you had a great Christmas. Let's all hope (and pray) that this next year is a better one than 2020. We all could use some laughter and some smiles to counteract the sadness and pain.

Last edited:
Why can't a hotfix/servicepack uninstall obsolete kuids ?

Because an asset version that one person regards as being obsolete and a waste of space, another can regard as the "best ever" version. That's why when an item on the DLS, for example, is listed as "available for download, newer version available" (or similar) you are given the option to "download this version" instead of the newer one.

Bolyed, I was simply stating a fact. Storage prices have never been cheaper. About 3 years ago I bought a 2TB external SDD for just around $350AUS (that would be even less in $US). More recently for a similar price I added a 4TB NAS attached to my router that other computers in my home wireless network can directly access. Compare that to over 10 years ago - that sort of storage capacity would have been something that was only available for servers on enterprise systems with an eye-watering budget (I know I set a few up back then).

"Peanuts" is certainly a relative term and, obviously, not everyone can afford even peanuts. But it is still a fact that the cost of storage today is "peanuts" compared to even the recent past.

There can be another glitch when it comes to storage. Despite having a PCIe NVMe SSD and wanting to install a Samsung 1TB EVO 970 upgrade the manufacturer has a "white list" for SSD vendors and while Samsung are on the white list some users are reporting that the EVO970 is not compatible as an upgrade. I can afford to upgrade, but not to pay that amount of money for a fancy bookmark.

As for external storage, a 2TB USB HD cost $63 USD on Amazon this month.
Does anyone remember the early days when a 10MB HDD was a big deal? I can't believe that I'm buying 2TB disks.
And I love that the Content Store now allows us to only install what routes we want to use, despite my 1TB internal HDD.

Last edited:
Well since this got going again...... you can always add an external drive to a Mac and have your data there. I’m running Trainz 2019 with high settings on an M1 Mac Mini. Further, Metal and the Apple Silicon Macs will be supported with native code on Trainz. So I’m happy.

Back